News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

intro

Started by claytojar, June 20, 2014, 10:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytojar

Hello everyone, just a few things to say at the moment. I'm a fundamental Christian who believes the Bible is God's word written by men inspired by God. Most denominations might not regard me as a fundamental Christian because I do not hold to any denomination beliefs completely, though I do identify as a Southern Baptist. I've spent many years studying and in deep thought about the scriptures and what they say and as most Christians do I believe that God has revealed things to me, yet I am open to the idea that somethings I believe about Christianity could be wrong. Like all people I'm not by any means perfect but will defend what I believe until proven wrong. Thanks for reading this post and I look forward to many good discussions.

SGOS

Quote from: claytojar on June 20, 2014, 10:34:15 PM
I've spent many years studying and in deep thought about the scriptures.
Me too.  I just reached a different conclusion about whether it's actually what people say it is.   I just can't believe it's a legitimate account of reality, so there's no point for me to try to think about it further and draw conclusions about what it means.  Before I would bother pondering it's meaning, I would have to know that it's what it claims to be.  I've not been able to verify that, and since it's so far fetched, I'm concluding it's a fake, a compilation of selected stories written by superstitious ancients lacking any degree of knowledge about the world around them.

PickelledEggs

Hello everyone, just a few things to say at the moment. I'm a fundamental Christian who believes the Bible is God's word written by men inspired by God. Most denominations might not regard me as a fundamental Christian because I do not hold to any denomination beliefs completely, though I do identify as a Southern Baptist. I've spent many years studying and in deep thought about the scriptures and what they say and as most Christians do I believe that God has revealed things to me, yet I am open to the idea that somethings I believe about Christianity could be wrong. Like all people I'm not by any means perfect but will defend what I believe until proven wrong. Thanks for reading this post and I look forward to many good discussions.
lol

PickelledEggs

You say you will defend what you believe until proven wrong. I'm guessing you either have never been presented with any opposing claim or you are more stubborn than you think.

It's one of those two, and I don't think it's the former.

Edit: BONUS possibility- you might also be a poe.

Hijiri Byakuren

Another one so soon? I guess school must be out.

Sent from Monster Island. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

DunkleSeele

Hi claytojar and welcome to the forum, for now.

Let me give you some information: proselitysing and conversion attempts are against the forum rules and very much frown upon here, and may turn you into what we call a "chew toy", at least until you're banned.

A few more points:
- Holy books aren't evidence of the existence of the god(s) they describe.
- The universe is several billions years old, not 6,000 years.
- Evolution is a fact.

Enjoy your stay here.

PickelledEggs

Lion IRC

Welcome claytojar.
Great to see a few Christians here.
Take note of the proselytizing warning.  :silenced:

I can't remember ever having been warned/banned for doing that in any AvT forum.

Maybe that's because atheist counter-apologists and anti-theists seem so very very keen to start the convo. And they actually challenge/invite me to hear what I think about God and the bible.

I suppose answering theism questions and responding to challenges is OK as long as 'they' start it.
:shrug:

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our merry band of heathens, claytojar. We're all heathens to some.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Solomon Zorn

Welcome to the forum. Your description of yourself sounds like where I was at about 30 years ago, except that you seem to be a little more open minded than I was.

Many of us on the Atheist Forum are from a Christian background.

I used to believe that the Bible was the infallible Word of God and that Jesus was the Word made flesh etc. The development of schizophrenia, and dealing with the delusions I experienced trying to explain my hallucinations, led me to question all of the extraordinary beliefs that I held. Eventually, giving up on revealed knowledge of any kind was the result. Christianity is simply a delusion based on someone else's hallucinations.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 04:26:01 AM
Welcome claytojar.
Great to see a few Christians here.
Oh look, Lion IRC has crawled out from the rock under which he was hiding. What happened Lion, feeling alone after throwing a hissy fit at AF.org?
QuoteTake note of the proselytizing warning.  :silenced:
You better take note of it, too.
QuoteI can't remember ever having been warned/banned for doing that in any AvT forum.
Maybe because they were too busy chewing on you and similar religitard trolls.
QuoteMaybe that's because atheist counter-apologists and anti-theists seem so very very keen to start the convo.
Nope, wrong as usual. We don't start any conversation with religitards like you. It's you and your kin who usually feel obliged to jump in and spew their bullshit.
QuoteAnd they actually challenge/invite me to hear what I think about God and the bible.
Nope, noone invited you here, let alone challenge you to tell us what you "think".
QuoteI suppose answering theism questions and responding to challenges is OK as long as 'they' start it.
:shrug:
We don't start anything. This is an atheist forum and we usually answer in kind to theists when they start spewing their bullshit.

claytojar

Quote from: DunkleSeele on June 21, 2014, 12:56:28 AM
Hi claytojar and welcome to the forum, for now.

Let me give you some information: proselitysing and conversion attempts are against the forum rules and very much frown upon here, and may turn you into what we call a "chew toy", at least until you're banned.

A few more points:
- Holy books aren't evidence of the existence of the god(s) they describe.
- The universe is several billions years old, not 6,000 years.
- Evolution is a fact.

Enjoy your stay here.

I did not come here to convert you or anyone else, that is the work of the Holy Spirit. I'm here to hopeful have some good intelligent conversations but it's obvious that even with a simple intro threats are made, why?
The Bible never tries to prove God.
I disagree with both, I believe that the universe is probably 50,000 years old.
Evolution has no real proof, so how can it be fact. The fact that evolutionary science makes assumptions doesn't make evolution true.
I will try to enjoy my stay but it seems there are some here who are determined to make things hard on Christians without even getting to know them. I've been reading some of the threads here and on other atheist forums and it seems that more than half of the atheist main reason for being involved is to make things hard on Christians.

SGOS

The victim card is now played.  Assumptions are presented as fact.  No evidence is provided. 

This is not going to go anywhere.

GrinningYMIR

Hey, if I believe in a fictional character from a video game does that make me a heathen? Because I worship him over GOD?

Because you know, my god at least has voice and actions even if he can't effect the world unless is through me.

Failing that, if you're polite and not super argumentative, a rarity amongst your kind, well welcome you

You have to understand that the majority of Christians that come here are argumentative assholes who don't give two seconds to our own thoughts and beliefs.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

claytojar

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2014, 11:22:49 PM
Me too.  I just reached a different conclusion about whether it's actually what people say it is.   I just can't believe it's a legitimate account of reality, so there's no point for me to try to think about it further and draw conclusions about what it means.  Before I would bother pondering it's meaning, I would have to know that it's what it claims to be.  I've not been able to verify that, and since it's so far fetched, I'm concluding it's a fake, a compilation of selected stories written by superstitious ancients lacking any degree of knowledge about the world around them.

No one has ever proven God does not exist, I know it's me who has to prove God exists heard it more times than I could count but, in reality no one has proven He doesn't exist and until that happens I see no reason to change what I know. How are you trying to verify God, through the secular world or the world where God exist, the spiritual? I can't see why people would call Christianity far fetched when it is based on loving others.