Are Christian bands actually Christian bands?

Started by Nam, June 20, 2014, 05:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

http://time.com/2900967/christian-heavy-metal-band-frontman-admits-hes-actually-an-atheist/

(Can't copy article, on a phone)

Apparently, the "As I Lay Dying" Christian metal group was or is filled with atheists, and according to one member: most Christian bands seemed to be.

Think there's any truth to that?

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Nam

Well, I always found Christian Death Metal groups humorous.

-Nam

SGOS

Usually charlatans don't admit to their hypocrisy.  He could have just kept on making money, but he had to try to get someone to kill his wife so, atheist or not, he's sure messed up his life.

SGOS

QuoteHe said in an interview with Alternative Press. “In 12 years of touring with As I Lay Dying, I would say maybe one in 10 Christian bands we toured with were actually Christian bands.”

Oh my!  The Devil is tricking Christians into listening to music and drawing them in to a life of degradation and sin.

Hydra009

Quote from: Nam on June 20, 2014, 05:53:07 AMApparently, the "As I Lay Dying" Christian metal group was or is filled with atheists, and according to one member: most Christian bands seemed to be.

Think there's any truth to that?
I dunno, maybe.  Christian music is a really niche scene and it takes a while to get established, so bands that were gung-ho about Christianity and the Christian music scene at the onset often get disillusioned later on or want to appeal to a broader demographic and no longer like being labeled a "Christian band".  Also, people naturally change their religious views over time, which can be problematic for people who have presented themselves as diehard Christians.

I'd also like to point out that there's a variety in how pushy they are about it.  Some wear it on their sleeve.  Some, you'd never know unless you looked it up or read interviews.  Christian bands get lampooned as aggressively evangelistic, but that not always the case.

Nam

Though not a metal group, I do like Jars of Clay.

-Nam

AllPurposeAtheist

Simon and Garfunkel started out as a gospel act. So did Hall and Oats. It's hardly anything new.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I read about this and don't believe it for a moment. Why would any atheist be able to act and speak Christian Bull Shit, even for money. What's next, a gothic and satanic band admitting they are really Christians? It doesn't make any sense. But it does make sense if you are a Christian and want to make atheists look bad. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's the old bait and switcheroo. I'm an atheist, but found Jesus and now suddenly rich! Such a blessing!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Nam

Quote from: Solitary on June 20, 2014, 05:22:05 PM
I read about this and don't believe it for a moment. Why would any atheist be able to act and speak Christian Bull Shit, even for money. What's next, a gothic and satanic band admitting they are really Christians? It doesn't make any sense. But it does make sense if you are a Christian and want to make atheists look bad. Solitary

Actually I know an atheist who owns a Christian store. They buy a lot of useless Christian based items.

-Nam

SGOS

Well sometimes I think that guys like Pat Robertson can't possibly believe their own bullshit.  But who knows?  Most of those preachers on TV seem like outright scam artists that are in it just for the money and conning old ladies with dementia out of their life savings.  I think they are the lowest form of sleazy predators, so it really doesn't make any difference what they believe or don't.

Johan

I read about this and don't believe it for a moment. Why would any atheist be able to act and speak Christian Bull Shit, even for money.
There was a time in my life when I was musician for a living. I played Engelbert Fucking Humperdinck in a shitty lounge act 5 nights a week for $250 cash and I humped my own gear and drove my own car to the gigs. I would have GLADLY played christian rock for $200/show and being able to have roadies hump my gear for me and drive me everywhere. Then again, I'd probably hit my own grandmother over the head with an aluminum snow shovel for $200 cash. Shrug.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: Solitary on June 20, 2014, 05:22:05 PMI read about this and don't believe it for a moment. Why would any atheist be able to act and speak Christian Bull Shit, even for money.

You rang?

There are atheist pastors.  Doesn't seem too far fetched that they're be atheists in the Christian music scene.