Why God can not exist- logical arguments, and why religion is nonsense

Started by mlecyq, June 19, 2014, 04:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Contemporary Protestant

It isn't moving the goal post, I was very clear about my opinion on omniscience from the start

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 20, 2014, 03:22:24 PM
It isn't moving the goal post, I was very clear about my opinion on omniscience from the start
When you redefine words, you are moving the goal post.

Contemporary Protestant

My initial point was that omniscience is defined as knowing everything, i disagreed with the guy's use of the word omniscience, i even mentioned the word is not used a lot in the bible, and that if a being knows everything that could happen but not what will, they are still omniscient because the being cannot be surprised and has foreseen every possible outcome

I am not moving the goal post, my first point, and my current point is that there is wiggle room for the omniscience, especially as to what that would be like

I elaborated by showing that the word omnipotent can be used in different ways

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 20, 2014, 03:53:35 PM
My initial point was that omniscience is defined as knowing everything, i disagreed with the guy's use of the word omniscience, i even mentioned the word is not used a lot in the bible, and that if a being knows everything that could happen but not what will, they are still omniscient because the being cannot be surprised and has foreseen every possible outcome
If they don't know exactly what will happen, then there is something they don't know. If there is something they don't know, they are not omniscient. Stop twisting words to mean what you want them to mean, rather than what they actually mean.

Contemporary Protestant

That word doesn't even appear in the bible, so even using it to define the christian god isn't valid

As I said previously extra-scient, would be a better word, but it isn't a word

Icarus

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 19, 2014, 10:52:16 PM
How does mocking me accomplish anything?

Generally mocking the religious does accomplish quite a bit. Talking to them isn't very thought provoking or interesting so mocking them is a way of educating them while making it entertaining for the individual (this is my personal opinion and is no way a reflection on others). You might say that mockery is a terrible method for trying to educate someone, but the outcome is the same if you tried to gently educate them with patience, understanding and compassion; which is to say, not a whole lot. People like to have opinions on everything yet can't be bothered to actually think for a second. Mockery makes that "non-thinking" tolerable.

Hakurei Reimu

I thought you weren't here for a discussion, CP, and here you are, discussing things. (Although with other members. Meanie. :cry:)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Solitary

Oh brother! Talking about something that no one has ever experienced accept in their delusional mind, like all fictional characters with magical thinking.  :wall: :rotflmao: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 19, 2014, 10:52:16 PM

I am gnostic because I think there is a god but I acknowledge there might not be one

Doesn't that make you an agnostic? Being a gnostic about this subject would mean that you absolutely know either that there is a God or that there is no God. If you are gnostic, you do not acknowledge that you might be wrong.

Just saying
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Aupmanyav

Is it necessary to throw the baby along with the basket? There may be no God but religion still remains. There are benefits of religion, for theists as well as atheists. We have two distinctly atheistic religions in India. Buddhism and Jainism. Even Hinduism in the strain that I follow in advaita (non-duality), is absolutely, without any reservation, atheist. Religion shows me the way of life in my culture (dharma). Disbelief in existence of God should not necessarily mean absence of religion.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Contemporary Protestant

I was very specific in saying I don't want to talk to you, not that I don't want to talk

In short, I will not address people who mock me, especially when I am not acting in a way that would warrant disrespect or any sort of aggression. I try to be kind and respectful, I would appreciate for that sentiment to be reciprocated

frosty

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 20, 2014, 11:49:39 PM
I was very specific in saying I don't want to talk to you, not that I don't want to talk

In short, I will not address people who mock me, especially when I am not acting in a way that would warrant disrespect or any sort of aggression. I try to be kind and respectful, I would appreciate for that sentiment to be reciprocated

Hmmm, you didn't seem to address me, but whatever.

Quote from: Aupmanyav on June 20, 2014, 10:18:32 PM
Is it necessary to throw the baby along with the basket? There may be no God but religion still remains. There are benefits of religion, for theists as well as atheists. We have two distinctly atheistic religions in India. Buddhism and Jainism. Even Hinduism in the strain that I follow in advaita (non-duality), is absolutely, without any reservation, atheist. Religion shows me the way of life in my culture (dharma). Disbelief in existence of God should not necessarily mean absence of religion.

You have a very, very unique outlook on this situation, but considering how people think in terms of black and white I don't think what you said will catch on. The battle lines are drawn, and everybody is entrenched, waiting to attack their foes.

mlecyq

Aswers to Contemporary Protestant

You: "i disagreed with the guy's use of the word omniscience, i even mentioned the word is not used a lot in the bible"
Me: The numer of a word used by others does not change the meaning.

You: ,,I elaborated by showing that the word omnipotent can be used in different ways".
Me: Yeahh the same as with your ridiculuos bible parts such as killing people who work on weekends or adultery.

BIBLE QUOTES:
,,If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.  (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)"

,,Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest.  I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.'  (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)"

Now we should wait until you defend main kampf saying we don't know the words and we can understand it differently.
--------