Massive "Ocean" Discovered Towards Earth's Core

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, June 13, 2014, 12:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Full Article
QuoteA reservoir of water three times the volume of all the oceans has been discovered deep beneath the Earth's surface. The finding could help explain where Earth's seas came from.

The water is hidden inside a blue rock called ringwoodite that lies 700 kilometres underground in the mantle, the layer of hot rock between Earth's surface and its core.

The huge size of the reservoir throws new light on the origin of Earth's water. Some geologists think water arrived in comets as they struck the planet, but the new discovery supports an alternative idea that the oceans gradually oozed out of the interior of the early Earth.

"It's good evidence the Earth's water came from within," says Steven Jacobsen of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. The hidden water could also act as a buffer for the oceans on the surface, explaining why they have stayed the same size for millions of years.
Watch as the YECs swarm around this and say, "You see? YOU SEE!? That's where the water from the Great Flood came from!"
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

The Skeletal Atheist

BRB, converting to Christianity and bombing an abortion clinic.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 13, 2014, 05:24:58 PM
But it still means that I can watch, right?
Well considering someone has been outside my bedroom window for the past 3 weeks, and they smelled like dirty foreigner, I suppose you can watch since you have been already.

Shiranu

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on June 13, 2014, 05:21:40 PM
BRB, converting to Christianity and bombing an abortion clinic.

Going to become self-hating and share your stories of in (some sort of store, too lazy to go check the video now) you would engage in massive gay orgies to say, "Fuck you, Jesus!"... both in the spiritual sense but also because your Mexican lover couldn't handle himself in the bed?

QuoteWatch as the YECs swarm around this and say, "You see? YOU SEE!? That's where the water from the Great Flood came from!"

Better yet, where it went.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Prior to this announcement (which isn't new BTW) the USGS estimated the total volume of water on and in the Earth at 332,519,000 cubic miles. 97% of which was in the oceans. So the new water should be about 1 billion cubic miles worth. The surface area of the Earth is about 197,000,000 square miles. Why don't one of you high school math whizzes figure out to what altitude above the current sea level a billion extra cubic miles of water would cover the planet if ol' Yahweh was to get pissed at us and draw it all out to the surface?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

I wouldn't be going to far if I speculated that the good professor is full of shit would I? :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on June 13, 2014, 07:04:17 PM
Prior to this announcement (which isn't new BTW) the USGS estimated the total volume of water on and in the Earth at 332,519,000 cubic miles. 97% of which was in the oceans. So the new water should be about 1 billion cubic miles worth. The surface area of the Earth is about 197,000,000 square miles. Why don't one of you high school math whizzes figure out to what altitude above the current sea level a billion extra cubic miles of water would cover the planet if ol' Yahweh was to get pissed at us and draw it all out to the surface?
an inch and a HALF!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Shiranu on June 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
Going to become self-hating and share your stories of in (some sort of store, too lazy to go check the video now) you would engage in massive gay orgies to say, "Fuck you, Jesus!"... both in the spiritual sense but also because your Mexican lover couldn't handle himself in the bed?
Have I ever mention current BF's race here? Because he is actually half Mexican, half Asian....So you're partly right.

aitm

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on June 13, 2014, 05:28:36 PM
Well considering someone has been outside my bedroom window for the past 3 weeks, and they smelled like dirty foreigner, I suppose you can watch since you have been already.

:whistle:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on June 13, 2014, 07:58:29 PM
Have I ever mention current BF's race here? Because he is actually half Mexican, half Asian....So you're partly right.

I wonder if his parents own that restaurant here in Palm Bay fl?     http://www.yelp.com/biz/mike-and-sues-chinese-and-spanish-restaurant-palm-bay
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust