America at War: A Record of Unparalleled Failure

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 12, 2014, 01:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

No, a total war means that the belligerents execute full mobilization and attack all war-making resources even so-called dual use resources such as factories and cities.  Neither the Arab-Israeli conflicts nor the American involvement in the Vietnam War were total wars.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

CloneKai

but it was for the Arabs or Vietnam, no?

so what about nuclear weapons, can they be used in "total war"?

aileron

Quote from: CloneKai on July 01, 2014, 02:03:25 PMbut it was for the Arabs or Vietnam, no?

The Arab-Israeli wars were not total for either side.  You could make a case that for the Vietnamese it was a total war because both the North and South did fully mobilize.

Quoteso what about nuclear weapons, can they be used in "total war"?

A total war is about the level of mobilization not the weapons used.   
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

aileron

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 01, 2014, 02:30:13 PM
No, it is not.

You keep repeating that or stomping your foot, whining all over doesn't make any difference. You are exactly like a fucking religious freak proselytizing your head off with the same cock sucking 'total bullshit', your head buried in sand.

But then that's understandable. There is nothing else, is there?

I'm not sure what you're claiming here.  I was discussing terminology not morality.

aileron

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 01, 2014, 02:45:36 PM
yeah, we did that before you arrived to the thread.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/total-war

So what point were you trying to make with the cock sucking remark?  Very enlightened, BTW, because all homosexual activity is an insult, right?

aileron

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 01, 2014, 02:51:13 PM
Is that your way of deflection that? And you aimed that to me:rotflmao: You are a real tourist here, right?

Cock sucking remark is for you, and your usual defence of US policy.

You have problems understanding the difference between verification of facts and defending US policy.  I do find your use of cock sucking as an insult rather interesting because that particular insult has largely died out where I live.  It doesn't bother me in the least, but the fact that you consider it an insult is interesting.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aileron on July 01, 2014, 01:54:41 PM
No, a total war means that the belligerents execute full mobilization and attack all war-making resources even so-called dual use resources such as factories and cities.  Neither the Arab-Israeli conflicts nor the American involvement in the Vietnam War were total wars.

QuoteSie wollen den totalen Krieg? Ich gebe ihr den totalen Krieg!
Joseph Goebbels, 18 February, 1943
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

CloneKai

frosty

AllPurposeAtheist

It seems to me you're arguing over which smells worse, the shit from a cow or the shit from a bull. The reality is all these wars the US sticks its nose in, instigates, prosecutes and so on are still bullshit and do utterly nothing to further any cause for humanity unless the cause is death, destruction and misery for everyone else.
Who gives a fuck what the definition of 'total war' is when 1% of our population is even involved and 100% of the nation we invade is effected?
Maybe you have a cushy job making widget #869427540B that goes on part X75974994386 and check for the slight imperfections in the paint job so bomb J563988521 flies straight. Big fucking deal, huh? USA USA USA then it's exported to the regime that treats everyone not praying to the right god like shit, but so what? It doesn't effect your cushy ass. Your job is to inspect the paint and never ask why you work in the bomb factory.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

CloneKai

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 01, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
It seems to me you're arguing over which smells worse, the shit from a cow or the shit from a bull. The reality is all these wars the US sticks its nose in, instigates, prosecutes and so on are still bullshit and do utterly nothing to further any cause for humanity unless the cause is death, destruction and misery for everyone else.
Who gives a fuck what the definition of 'total war' is when 1% of our population is even involved and 100% of the nation we invade is effected?
Maybe you have a cushy job making widget #869427540B that goes on part X75974994386 and check for the slight imperfections in the paint job so bomb J563988521 flies straight. Big fucking deal, huh? USA USA USA then it's exported to the regime that treats everyone not praying to the right god like shit, but so what? It doesn't effect your cushy ass. Your job is to inspect the paint and never ask why you work in the bomb factory.
Easy for you to say. you might not need to run towards American soldier yelling "I surrender! I surrender!". But i need to know, what to expect from them.
So which smell is worse cow's shit or bull's shit

frosty

Also, I would have morally opposed Jason's idea of genociding a population that the U.S. is occupying. Not everybody wants to live under the boot of Uncle Sam and the Bible (not saying you support that Jason, just saying), and the very fact that these conversations exist today is somewhat proof that many people know what's going on now.

It's not like anywhere from the 1930s-1960s where America was portrayed as a military saint, upholding righteous values and spreading peace and freedom to the whole world. Those days simply do NOT exist anymore, and almost nobody believes that propaganda anymore.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 01, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
I used to kill people for $247/month.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

frosty

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 01, 2014, 04:13:25 PM
This is like watching a black and white American movie.

Need to fast forward faster.

Well, I used that specific word because not everything is as it's made out to be, and you know that.

aileron

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 01, 2014, 04:04:44 PMIt's pretty important what 'total war' is when there has been a war policy worked over it with everything in a war economy.

If that's what you believe about the US that's fine, but total war is not the right term.  The term to which you're referring is militarism.  I'm still not at all clear why you get so mad about terminology especially given that English is (I assume) a second language.

I do agree that the US is a militaristic nation, and it's something that a lot of us don't like and work to change.