News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dave Brat's "miracle" GOP primary win

Started by PringleTree, June 12, 2014, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revdave

Quote from: PringleTree on June 12, 2014, 11:58:38 PM
1) Underdog Republican challenger Dave Brat wasted no time Tuesday night in stating that his upset primary win over House Majority Leader Eric Cantor was "A miracle from God".  This insinuates that God changed the minds of voters who were for Cantor and/or prompted people to vote who were leaning towards Brat but weren't motivated to make the effort to go the polls.  So, here we go again with a politician who believes his success is the will of a deity.  No matter what policies this guy comes up with if he wins in November and goes to Congress--ideas that I might agree with in some instances--his religious statement will forever force me to regard him with suspicion.

Why would you assume that? Surely the most logical explanation is that God conjured a whole bunch of extra ballots into the ballot boxes, and then marked off their names on the voters list with his magic pen.

If this vote was done electronically it's even easier to explain. God is the ghost in the machine.

Quote2) We hear time and again from the religious community that god doesn't intervene to prevent evil from occuring because free will for humankind means so much to him.  Per Professor Brat's statement above, an apparent exception can be made by God when an evangelical Tea Party candidate needs help at the polls.  I note that the very same day this week that Brat won his primary with the help of God, a 14 year-old high-school student was shot and killed in a school shooting in Oregon.  I can't understand the mindset of people who would celebrate a deity that would intervene to change the mindset of voters in Virginia, but not a 15 year-old gunman in Oregon. 

Unfortunately God was too busy rigging elections to stop the murders. He can only be in infinite places at one time. Give the poor guy a break.

One fit of over-excitement 6000 years ago and now he's stuck with about a trillion galaxies more than the original plan called for. That he spares us any time at all with such a workload shows us how much he loves us. A deity must prioritize!

Jason Harvestdancer

I wonder what would happen on this board if (a) there was a major upset in a Democrat primary and (b) the underdog Democrat thanked God for the victory.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on June 14, 2014, 11:03:51 AM
I wonder what would happen on this board if (a) there was a major upset in a Democrat primary and (b) the underdog Democrat thanked God for the victory.
I would sigh and say "not this shit again." Although that's more because I hate both parties and only vote Libertarian.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

Fuck these libertarian rants.. Fuck, you gotta drag this shit into everything and pretend you're not rubes.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PringleTree

Wouldn't matter to me--I would have started this thread just the same no matter what the party affiliation.
Most offensive speech heard in recent memory:
"I believe this country was started by Christians for Christians."
Captain Scotty Smiley, US Army, West Point grad, blinded both eyes in Iraq, remains on active duty
Mike Huckabee Show, August 2013
How sad the Captain has such un-American beliefs.

Hakurei Reimu

If that incumbent was a major dickhead like Cantor, and the underdog was from a Democratic faction known to be a bunch of douchebags, I would have much the same reaction: "Meh."
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Jason Harvestdancer

That must be the right question, it got so many people angry.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Poison Tree

"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide