News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My thoughts on "bro" culture

Started by zarus tathra, June 01, 2014, 11:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

I always get the sense that the edifice of corporatized masculinity is like a house of cards that's constantly in danger of collapsing in on itself. It's counterintuitive that a subculture that values aggression and anti-intellectualism would be able to maintain any sort of organization beyond the level of the family without outside help, and the massive amount of money that goes into maintaining the bread and circuses system necessary to maintain this mythology reflects this.

There's a passage from the Tao Te Ching, which can be translated as: "When there is no peace in the family, there arises filial piety and paternal kindness." One interpretation that's relevant to this is that the creation of a large set of rules to govern and influence social interaction reflects a fundamental instability in the larger society. An obvious metaphor would be a man with weak bones who is implanted with iron bars to enable him to walk. These might reinforce isolated parts of his skeleton, but the iron bars can not serve the manifold functions of bone (replacing blood, creating new tissue from stem cells, growing and adapting to fluctuations in bodily activity, etc.).

And indeed, without the sense of organization handed down by the education/entertainment complex, without the artificial sense of self-respect engendered by New-Deal style "administrative" work and "leadership" positions, without the police to deter them from destroying themselves and their environment, I think that the vast majority of males would be "lost at sea." I don't think that that's necessarily a "bad" thing, although my lack of concern for people in general may skew my perspective somewhat. I do, however, think that the collapse of the edifice would lead to change, to a society that is unrecognizable to many.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

AllPurposeAtheist

Zarus..why do you rattle on so about nothingness? You use nice words to say nothing. Why?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shol'va

I think op is taking notice of the fact that the definition of what it is to be a "man" is subject to cultural relativism, and is raising objection to the fact that here in the US being a "man" tends to mean, by popular definition anyway, to be less about intellectual pursuit and more about machismo?

the_antithesis

"Bro culture?"

You mean those twats?

Just call them twats.