Leaving Homeless Person On The Streets: $31,065. Giving Them Housing: $10,051.

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 30, 2014, 06:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/05/27/3441772/florida-homeless-financial-study/

I'm not sure the numbers are right, but I do know that homelessness in the US is far more expensive on the streets in the long run than housing people. If I had to guess about 75% of everyone I meet at Faith Mission had been in and out of jail at least a few times in a year for everything from public drunkenness to petty theft to mental health issues to just being on the streets. The shelters are outrageously expensive to operate and in the winter time the cost skyrockets. EVERYONE in the shelters needs feed, laundry, bus passes, support services, etc.. I know the cost of myself to taxpayers went WAY down once I moved to the YMCA in my own room and did so for everyone I know who got housing.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

And then the people who want to keep them on the street claim to be both fiscally responsible & sharing of the values of Christ when they are neither.

It's cheaper to help people, and I think Jesus might have had an issue or two with keeping people homeless when you could easily afford to fix it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Shiranu on May 30, 2014, 06:24:32 AM
And then the people who want to keep them on the street claim to be both fiscally responsible & sharing of the values of Christ when they are neither.

It's cheaper to help people, and I think Jesus might have had an issue or two with keeping people homeless when you could easily afford to fix it.
Fuck the jesus fuckers. I so sick of that fucking name. Thrse cocksuckers want a personal jesus and financial adviser. But you're right Shiranu. I think I need to stop paying attention to news for awhile. It's really fucking pissing me off lately. I'm fucking using the fucking word fucking to much.  That must be a fucking sign from jesus fucking christ.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

That's one of the problems with ideological driven thinking.  Such thinking is based on theories that require certain assumptions to be true.  For example, one may say let the homeless get jobs, and we won't have to spend money on shelters.  The assumption is that enough jobs are available, and all homeless people are capable of working.  In addition, some ideologists still assume Ronald Reagan spoke a truth when he said the homeless don't want to live in shelters, and would refuse them.

Gawdzilla Sama

Another example of ideological thinking. [barf trigger warning]

Quote"Your dead kids don't trump my constitutional rights."
â€" Joe "The Plumber" Werzelbacher, in an open letter to the parents of those killed by Elliot Rodger, referred to as "this sad and insane individual. I almost said 'Obama voter,' but I'm waiting for it to be official."

http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/  30 May 2014
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Poison Tree

"but if we help the homeless that will cause more people to become homeless just to take our handouts"
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide