News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Google car.

Started by PickelledEggs, May 28, 2014, 02:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

As for the prospect of a car with no manual controls or mirrors? Its a prototype announcement but I wouldn't put much weight on it just yet. I'm sure there will come a day when cars have no manual controls. But I'd bet money that will only happen when we get to the point where the vast majority of vehicles on the road are self driving with manual controls and most 'drivers' haven't actually touched those controls in years.

Its one thing for google to say they're going to build something. Its quite another for them to say people will want to buy it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Johan on May 28, 2014, 07:57:33 PM
As for the prospect of a car with no manual controls or mirrors? Its a prototype announcement but I wouldn't put much weight on it just yet. I'm sure there will come a day when cars have no manual controls. But I'd bet money that will only happen when we get to the point where the vast majority of vehicles on the road are self driving with manual controls and most 'drivers' haven't actually touched those controls in years.

Its one thing for google to say they're going to build something. Its quite another for them to say people will want to buy it.
obviously it would have to be a gradual thing. I personally think starting off with manual overrides, mirrors, etc would be a wise choice.

Sent via your mom.

AllPurposeAtheist

Look how long it took for most people to use seat belts and even today plenty of people refuse to use them. The gradual change from box and frame to unibody design still isn't trusted by many. People still believe they're safe with 4 tons of steel wrapped around them even though modern unibody design is made to absorb impact instead of tossing people through windshields.
The real change will be when people realize they can take a fucking nap on the freeway on the way to work or black out the windows and have sex on the freeway.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 28, 2014, 09:50:58 PM
The real change will be when people realize they can take a fucking nap on the freeway on the way to work or black out the windows and have sex on the freeway.

What a time to be alive!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

It's like that John Mayer song, Georgia.

"I am drivin'. Sixty Nine-in'...."

SGOS

I need something that I can ditch the cops with when I need to.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 29, 2014, 08:03:53 AMI need something that I can ditch the cops with when I need to.
I didn't even think about that.  But at least you wouldn't get pulled over for like half the stuff they would ordinarily pull you over for.