News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Google car.

Started by PickelledEggs, May 28, 2014, 02:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/28/googles-self-driving-car-wont-even-have-a-steering-wheel/

This is really cool. A self driving car. I know google has been tinkering with the idea for a while and knowing that most accidents are because of user error (distracted driver, talking on the phone, drunk driving, simple driving mistakes) I'm all for this. For safety! And science.

Btw. If you want a good laugh, take a peek at the comments from the facebook post I found this on.
https://www.facebook.com/theblaze/posts/697479183622758

QuoteThe car looks so friendly with that cute little smiley face in front. It will smile all the way to the internment camps with people screaming and pleading to be let out. A new science fiction movie... I Obama.

QuoteSounds like a Democrat car. No way to control where it goes and no way to stop it.

QuotePut the obamas in them !

stromboli

Yeah I have issues with the no steering wheel. Largely because I'm a hands on guy.  :biggrin:

Moralnihilist

I wouldn't get one simply because I enjoy driving. I like to think Im quite good at it. I don't want or need a computer doing it for me.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on May 28, 2014, 02:59:44 PM
Yeah I have issues with the no steering wheel. Largely because I'm a hands on guy.  :biggrin:
It's definitely odd. Not going to beat around the bush. I like driving, and the aspects of driving, steering, shifting, hitting the gas... I would feel weird getting around in one of them at first, but I bet that you get used to it after a while.

I think google already tested this car going across country, unless I missed that part of the article... I'll have to find the info about when they tested it going down highways with other cars. Apparently it only got in one accident and it was because another driver smashed in to the back of it.

Hydra009

Driverless cars are my dream.  And we finally have the technology to make this thing possible.  When implemented, this would eliminate drunk/high/drowsy driving, virtually eliminate car accidents, reduce congestion through more efficient traffic patterns, automate menial transport work, reduce the need for parking facilities, and free up large blocks of free time otherwise spend in tedium.  You could eventually even place orders online, have your car drive over to the store, be loaded by staff, then drive back home.  It's the American dream.

Ideally, I'd like a system where self-driving is gradually phased in.  For example, have the car drive itself only on the highway and always have manual control available as an alternative, not unlike how cruise control is used now.  And gradually extend self-driving to all roads while eventually dispensing of manual control as the system is perfected.

That said, the initial resistance to stuff like this is going to be huge.  In addition to the ever-present resistance to change, people don't like to give up control, particularly to machines.  And as the quotes subtly allude to, the conservatives are definitely going to be the millstone for this (and every) major change.

The Skeletal Atheist

I would hope the final version at least has an emergency manual override.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

I think a semi-self driving car would be nice, but I wouldn't trust my life entirely to the computer.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

DunkleSeele

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 28, 2014, 03:27:27 PM
YAY, finally they made a car women can drive!  :flowers:
FIFY  :lol:

*running for my life*

Solitary

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 28, 2014, 04:00:19 PM
I think a semi-self driving car would be nice, but I wouldn't trust my life entirely to the computer.
If you fly commercial they are almost always under computer control, but they can over ride it.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: Solitary on May 28, 2014, 04:21:13 PM
If you fly commercial they are almost always under computer control, but they can over ride it.
You are a brave PA, I''ll give you that. There is not anything worse than a woman scorned, accept a bunch of them. Good luck! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

DunkleSeele

QuoteQuote from: Solitary on Today at 22:21:13

You are a brave PA, I''ll give you that. There is not anything worse than a woman scorned, accept a bunch of them. Good luck! Solitary

^^^
Problems with quoting, Sol?  :fU:

AllPurposeAtheist

I still want my goddamned George Jetson flying car and won't be happy till my driveway is right outside my 7th floor window here at the YMCA! Get with the program Google! 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Wait a minute,  didn't that car have a flashing light on it? Well there you are. For safety put a flashing light on ALL cars.

Not that anyone would ever get used to that...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Johan

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 28, 2014, 03:06:15 PM
I think google already tested this car going across country, unless I missed that part of the article... I'll have to find the info about when they tested it going down highways with other cars. Apparently it only got in one accident and it was because another driver smashed in to the back of it.

I'm too lazy to go look it up but IIRC google has been testing this technology for several years now. They've got something like 500,000 miles so far. There have been several accidents, but every one of them involved other cars hitting the google car while it was standing still.

Now here's a question for the group. Having self driving cars on the road is one thing. But how does everyone feel about the prospect of sharing the road with 80,000lb tractor trailers that have no driver? Its only a matter of time before that happens.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Johan on May 28, 2014, 07:49:29 PM
I'm too lazy to go look it up but IIRC google has been testing this technology for several years now. They've got something like 500,000 miles so far. There have been several accidents, but every one of them involved other cars hitting the google car while it was standing still.

Now here's a question for the group. Having self driving cars on the road is one thing. But how does everyone feel about the prospect of sharing the road with 80,000lb tractor trailers that have no driver? Its only a matter of time before that happens.

If the tech works, it's better than what we have now. Obviously we have to wait for it to be developed enough but being friends with a few truck drivers, I know second hand that many go with little or no sleep, which is nearly as bad as driving drunk...  And worse in some cases.

A truck driven by a person that is drunk/over-tired driver is a much scarier thing than an auto piloted one

Sent via your mom.