People Defending the UC SB Shooter

Started by Shiranu, May 28, 2014, 02:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me in the least. I will go ahead and copy-pasta my facebook question, so if it seems abit out of character (lack of vulgarities and all that good shit), that's why :P.

People actually support what this guy did, or at least say, "It was justified"?

So I have a question for anyone who want's to put their thoughts on the issue; do you think this guy would have been frustrated to the point he would do something like this if we didn't make such a stupid to-do about being sexually active, if we didn't shame people for not getting laid?

I am 100% in favour of people being able to sleep with whoever they like so long as both are consenting and 100% in favour in getting rid of all these stupid stigmas and taboos and double-standards about sexuality. But this belief that not being sexually active makes you less of a person (man, anyways) that is rampant in (male?) society is not contributing to a healthy mindset amongst Americans; to the contrary it is just a knee-jerk reaction to sexual taboos that is just as bad.

Being sexually liberated means people can have as much sex OR as little sex as they desire without being judged for it by others, because at the end of the day it is none of your damn business what consenting adults do with each other. To me this is just another unhealthy mindset that is only holding society back.

----

To me this is something that really holds men back, because this is something we face from the time we are in lower-grade school. I understand the mindset in junior high, maybe high school, but even into the mid-twenties I am seeing it. What is wrong with men?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

There is no excuse for killing innocent people. So those defending the guy have no leg to stand on.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

I don't think that this case has anything to do with women, sex, bullying, or any of the other excuses that were in Elliot Rodger's manifesto.

He was mentally ill with access to knives and guns.  This wasn't something that happened overnight, he planned this for five years.  That's five years where someone could have noticed something, could have taken some kind of action that might have helped him and prevented this.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

They brought this up on NPR yesterday.  Supporting or understanding this guy's actions is indeed a strange reaction.  He killed people.  You don't kill others because you can't get sex.  That's a crazy notion.  He was nuts and those that support him are nuts too.  And given the number of crazy people that exist, it should not be surprising that people support him.

Mermaid

This has been a very very difficult story for me to read and comprehend. I think it speaks to the very foundation of our culture, so it's not going away any time soon.

The comments in the articles I've read on this story are filled with "WELL? Can you blame him" types of replies. It's not just the marginalized people who justify this sort of behavior, this is what I find so very deeply disturbing. I've also read an awful lot about how it's not just that he hated women because he killed more men than women ("and women seem to be ignoring this important fact").

I can only hope that this story and the way too many others like it will at least put a scratch in the surface of the pervasive and subtle nature of misogyny in human cultures.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Yeah. It's far too much a part of our fabric. Which is probably part of why this has been so disturbing. I have to make a conscious effort to remain good-hearted and not become the angry, bitter person that I could be because of this cultural "norm".

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Sal1981

Elliot Rodgers was insane, psychotic probably, suffering from narcissistic paranoid delusion. The authorities didn't react when his own family gave concerns about his vlogs. He would, as would his victims, still be alive today if people had reacted to his vlogs and at least done something about it.

I don't want to shift blame, but mentally ill need intervention to stop them from doing stupid shit.

SGOS

All kinds of shit happens to people.  Some because of their own doing, and some because it's just out of their control.  Women have been having sex with good looking guys rather than the so called dorks since way before feminism was coined as a word.  Sometimes we just have to suck it up and find something else to do (for a while).  Sometimes we have to accept that life may not always deliver all that we want.  If it's not getting sex, maybe it's not getting an invitation to play for the NHL or the NBA.  It could have been a whole lot of things this guy could have used as an excuse to kill.  He blew the sex thing up to unreasonable proportions.  Eventually, he would have found someone.  It's not like he looked like a freak.

Jmpty

This guy was a whining little fuck, who threw a tantrum because he wasn't getting enough attention. The expectations of men and women have little to do with this piece of shit killing a bunch of innocent people. This was all him. Period.
???  ??

Fidel_Castronaut

I read that he had aspergers, a form of autism which generally trends on people not being able to understand or compute social situations and empathise with the emotions of others.

Makes you wonder why he was able to buy guns...
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

stromboli

This is disturbing on several levels, not the least of which is the attempt by the parents to warn the authorities and they not responding.

How misogynistic are we that we can somehow morph our thinking to make the women who were the victims the cause of the problem? And skip over entirely the fact that the shooter's mental illness and access to firearms is the why and how of his actions. Sad.

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on May 28, 2014, 02:44:44 AM

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me in the least. I will go ahead and copy-pasta my facebook question, so if it seems abit out of character (lack of vulgarities and all that good shit), that's why :P.

People actually support what this guy did, or at least say, "It was justified"?

So I have a question for anyone who want's to put their thoughts on the issue; do you think this guy would have been frustrated to the point he would do something like this if we didn't make such a stupid to-do about being sexually active, if we didn't shame people for not getting laid?

I am 100% in favour of people being able to sleep with whoever they like so long as both are consenting and 100% in favour in getting rid of all these stupid stigmas and taboos and double-standards about sexuality. But this belief that not being sexually active makes you less of a person (man, anyways) that is rampant in (male?) society is not contributing to a healthy mindset amongst Americans; to the contrary it is just a knee-jerk reaction to sexual taboos that is just as bad.

Being sexually liberated means people can have as much sex OR as little sex as they desire without being judged for it by others, because at the end of the day it is none of your damn business what consenting adults do with each other. To me this is just another unhealthy mindset that is only holding society back.

----

To me this is something that really holds men back, because this is something we face from the time we are in lower-grade school. I understand the mindset in junior high, maybe high school, but even into the mid-twenties I am seeing it. What is wrong with men?
The thing is there has never been a time in recorded history when society has not put an emphasis on sex. Even if you're going out of your way to avoid it, you're still putting an emphasis on it.

And I think your logic is a little flawed, or at the very least unrealistic. We are never going to get to a place where people are not judged for their sexuality. This is because we're never going to get to a place where people don't judge others for everything. That doesn't mean its ok to discriminate. That doesn't mean its ok to shame or belittle. But we're always going to notice what others are doing and we're always going judge, even if only internally, based on our own individual yardstick.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote from: Fidel_Castronaut on May 28, 2014, 09:47:41 AM
I read that he had aspergers, a form of autism which generally trends on people not being able to understand or compute social situations and empathise with the emotions of others.

Makes you wonder why he was able to buy guns...
I had heard that too.  It could explain him not being able to connect with women, but I don't know enough about Asperger's to know if it can explain the killing.

Shiranu

Responding from my phone,  so sorry for any auto- corrects.

To those saying he still would have done it,  I probably agree. However I don't see why in cases like this we all rally to say,  "No, no, no... his culture had NOTHING to do with it! ", yet can you with a straight face tell me that if he had used Christianity or Islam as his excuse people would give religion the same defense?

@Johan (i think); We said the same thing about slavery,  gays,  women's rights, etc... society isn't ever going to accept them as equals. And I think history has proven it's just not true.  Yes, there will obviously be idiots,  but over time society will make it socially unacceptable to be racist,  sexIst,  whatever.  It takes time, generations,  but it can be done.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur