News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Girlie named hurricanes=not as dangerous

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 02, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Yup, apparently some people seem to believe it. That takes some real designer stupid.
QuoteStorms with female names have historically been significantly more deadly because people neither consider them as risky nor take the same precautions, the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences concludes.

Researchers at the University of Illinois and Arizona State University examined six decades of hurricane death rates according to gender, spanning 1950 and 2012.  Of the 47 most damaging hurricanes, the male-named hurricane produced an average of 23 deaths compared to 45 deaths for female-named hurricanes, or almost double the number of fatalities.  (The study excluded Katrina and Audrey, outlier storms that would skew the model).

The researchers didn't just look at the death tolls of past storms. They also conducted experiments asking people how they would prepare for storms:
Respondents predicted male hurricanes to be more intense the female hurricanes in one exercise.  In another exercise, the hurricane sex affected how respondents said they prepare for a hurricane.

“People imagining a ‘female’ hurricane were not as willing to seek shelter,” Shavitt said. “The stereotypes that underlie these judgments are subtle and not necessarily hostile toward women â€" they may involve viewing women as warmer and less aggressive than men.”

The researchers suggest that maybe hurricane naming practices should be reassessed, but come on. "People are too f'ing stupid to realize that hurricanes with lady names are neither their moms nor lingerie models and get to shelter" is a reason for giving Darwin Awards, not renaming hurricanes. This could be a valuable goddamn learning experience for humanity; are we going to remove the chance for that education by taking away people's incentive to take responsibility for their own safety? Are we a society in which sexism is so accepted and indulged that it's a valid reason not to read a weather report?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/02/1303867/-About-half-the-people-killed-by-hurricanes-with-women-s-names-totally-had-it-coming
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

why dat pussy ain't nottin but a pussy...c'mere lil kitty..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GalacticBusDriver

We need to start giving the more menacing names.

Guido?
Al Capone?
Corleone?
Bubba the Cell Mate?

That one should get people out of the fucking way.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

AllPurposeAtheist

I'd get out of the way of any hurricane, tornado or tsunami if I knew it was coming regardless of the name. Call is Hurricane Little Sisters of the Poor,  fuck it. I'm outta there. I've been in 2 tornadoes. That was quite enough for me.

Atheon

Uh.... for the first 30 years or so of naming hurricanes, weren't they all given female names? That would skew the data a bit, I'd think.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 03, 2014, 06:51:17 AM
This reminds me some women who hits men easily because they are conditioned to think they do not feel much pain, because they are men. (This is really happening.)

I was raised to never strike a woman. I have been hit by a few. Some bruises, but I'm still here. More than once I have been hit because a woman was frustrated with men in general and struck out because of their frustration. They can do that all they want. I've even invited it a few times.

Had a sister punch me in the shoulder once and yell "men!" and then walked away. Fine with me.

AllPurposeAtheist

This thread took a strange turn from getting the hell out of the way of hurricanes to hitting women or getting hit by women.
The rule really is simple. Hurricane=get the fuck out of the way. Tornado? Same rule.
It's really silly to name them other than something like hurricane a, hurricane b, hurricane c, etc..

Hakurei Reimu

^ That's basically what they do. The NHC (run by NOAA) maintains a list of names to be used for the coming year, and hurricanes are named according to that list. They recycle the names every six years, unless that hurricane is particularly nasty â€" then the name is retired and replaced with a new one, and the nasty hurricane in question forever referred to by that retired name.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

AllPurposeAtheist

Still silly.  Oh screw it.  I'm gonna start naming every passing cloud. 

Crap..it's a cloudy day and I can't think of enough names!

Cloud 1, cloud 2, cloud 3....