7 States Running Out Of Water

Started by stromboli, May 25, 2014, 10:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on May 27, 2014, 11:46:28 AM
I wouldn't exactly call getting Colorado River like volumes of water from the Great Lakes to the West Coast easy. Pumping that much water would be expensive. Much cheaper to desalinate ocean water from the Pacific. Or we could build a big ass tunnel. from point A to point B. Starting at about 150 meters in elevation at the Great Lakes and ending around sea level in the San Joaquin Valley. It would probably be the biggest construction job in history.

As far as the scale of the project, it's certainly manageable.  The California Aqueduct has almost as much pumping capacity as the average flow of the Colorado River.  The real impediments are economics and the resistance of Great Lake states and provinces.  Now that many Great Lake cities are economic wrecks, that resistance is softening.  Even so it's still more expensive to pipe water over the Rockies than to hope Mother Nature provides and make do when she doesn't. 
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shol'va

Yep, I live in the Dallas area and in my county there are level 3 water restrictions in effect, and have been for a few years now.
Our household doesn't use much water to begin with, and the way the restrictions impact us is in lawn watering. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a lawn freak but I want it to at least have a fighting chance and survive in the summer. Currently we can only water once a week and last year, it was simply not enough. So now I gotta look at landscaping options that reduce lawn surface.