News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Response to Leviticus

Started by Contemporary Protestant, May 23, 2014, 10:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

I don't know, i am paying very close attention to statements like that (conditional), what I do know is that leviticus is very anti-pagan, and much less about the individual, I haven't researched the pagan rituals in question, but if you would like I will post my findings

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 03, 2014, 06:04:58 PM
I did give a verse that I took literally

(edit) oops it was on another thread

I take Matthew 5:28 literally

so....the ENTIRE Old Testament which describes the existence, authority and power of god....you think is pretty much bunk....but a book written 1300 years later.....THIRTEEN HUNDRED YEARS later,,somehow gets one verse spot on.  Wow, you really ARE a christian...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

I never said anything about the old testament

I simply said leviticus contains a conditional statement and therefore cannot be used to dictate my life since I am not an israelite nor am I descendent of those people

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 03, 2014, 08:04:32 PM
I never said anything about the old testament

I simply said leviticus contains a conditional statement and therefore cannot be used to dictate my life since I am not an israelite nor am I descendent of those people

Well now we understand why reading and comprehension seems to be the problem. You need a couple more years in school. It was a very simple question:

" Show us the very first verse that you think is written so exactly that even goat herders and you agree what it means and that it is true."
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

Thou shall not steal
Thou shall not murder

I agree with those

And how is matthew 5:28 not a valid response?

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 03, 2014, 08:17:08 PM
Thou shall not steal
Thou shall not murder

And how is matthew 5:28 not a valid response?

c'mon CP..the very first verse....really?   the     very     first     verse.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 03, 2014, 08:17:08 PM
Thou shall not steal
Thou shall not murder
Except the ten commandment are, like Leviticus, for the Jews
"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be mine own possession from among all peoples: for all the earth is mine: and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel."
"I am Jehovah thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage"
"that thy days may be long in the land which Jehovah thy God giveth thee"
"And I will send the hornet before thee, which shall drive out the Hivite, the Canaanite, and the Hittite, from before thee.  I will not drive them out from before thee in one year, lest the land become desolate, and the beasts of the field multiply against thee. By little and little I will drive them out from before thee, until thou be increased, and inherit the land."

"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Contemporary Protestant

"in the beginning"

I can agree the universe has a beginning and a cause, the nature of that cause or the exact process of this creation are debatable, both in religion and in science

i.e. old earth young earth

or multiverse vs string theory

The big bang is relatively new, Einstein initially rejected it, and i think it wasn't until the Higgs Boson that the universe having a beginning was verified

is that king james version?

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 03, 2014, 09:03:19 PM
"in the beginning"

I can agree the universe has a beginning and a cause, the nature of that cause or the exact process of this creation are debatable, both in religion and in science

i.e. old earth young earth

or multiverse vs string theory

The big bang is relatively new, Einstein initially rejected it, and i think it wasn't until the Higgs Boson that the universe having a beginning was verified

is that king james version?

:wall:  "in the beginning"   is not a verse,,,,,really? Do you even know what a verse is?

Contemporary Protestant

fine, the entire verse

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on June 03, 2014, 09:10:04 PM
fine, the entire verse

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
So the earth is as old as "the beginning"?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Contemporary Protestant

I wasn't talking about the Earth's age, that is the first verse that I take literally

The universe has a beginning 

aitm

Are you sure you want to go with that? Because the goat herders thought that the heavens were just an arrows flight above the clouds.. and that was it. The sky was water and the stars were little twinkly things right above the clouds, that's why the OT says the sky can be "rolled up like a scroll" and that a times a "third of the stars fell to earth" and we know that this is not the case..so you are saying that the very first verse can be equally agreed upon by both the  goat herders and you as to its meaning and that it is true?

aitm

Quote from: Poison Tree on June 03, 2014, 09:17:40 PM
So the earth is as old as "the beginning"?

After all, we can't quibble about "the beginning" that is after all,,,,you know.....the beginning...not the day or two after the beginning.

Contemporary Protestant

Well the verse only indicates that universe started at a certain time but doesn't discuss the nature of said universe

If you want me to address the other verses, could you tell me where they are, so that I may read the whole passage