News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trolls, For Future Reference.

Started by Solitary, May 23, 2014, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

troll definition, from Internet Connection, Inc.
troll

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT.

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, “Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll.” Compare kook.

I don't see anything on there that says copy and posting a wall of text to provide support for a post or provide information is trolling. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

phattmatt

I think u r talking about plagarism

PopeyesPappy

Quoting someone is not plagiarism.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

phattmatt

Sorry I didnt know that was being discussed.  I just checked the intro threads today and saw the problems I caused that are in relation to this thread.  I'm sorry solitary.

I'm trying to change.  Growth takes time.

aitm

Frankly, I never considered the dipshit a troll in the classic sense. He posted a lot on benign bullshit which for some fucking reason seems to get people all excited to engage the dipshit instead of just ignoring the monkey. They then, most usually, leave or up the hype which makes it easier to toss them. We received not one complaint in the tower against the kid. All the arguing and whining was done in the threads which everyone knows is not the best way to get rid of trolls.

I got involved in the very same shit my first year here over a Philosophus stunt and took my argument to the general public which pissed off Buck and the rest because it caused a small ruckus when it could have been handled in the tower if I had not tried to be a hero.

Again, this is a goddamn internet forum where we want people to come to and engage and we get some real trolls and then we get this little piss ant who created a bigger ruckus just because he didn't troll hard enough to do anything other than being hugely irritating.

Lets all try to do better. Myself included of course.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

I think he's trying to blend in. Or ingratiate himself. A sly one, this.

Green Bottle

There's a big difference between being a troll and being a ''Pain in the arse''.......
Quote from: stromboli on May 24, 2014, 08:39:20 AM
I think he's trying to blend in. Or ingratiate himself. A sly one, this.

Aye, he's not as thick as he wants us to think he is..
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

AllPurposeAtheist

You described him perfectly aitm, a pissant dipshit.. Shoulda tied the words together, but point taken.
I wonder if the ignore list can be made a bit easier to access. It takes me actual effort to get to it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

ApostateLois

QuoteDerives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite.

Isn't that called trawling?
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Moralnihilist

I knew phattmatt was a troll the instant he said this:
QuoteI don't walk away.  I get executed!

That statement right there let me know he was going to continue spamming bullshit until banned.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 24, 2014, 09:52:00 AM
You described him perfectly aitm, a pissant dipshit.. Shoulda tied the words together, but point taken.
I wonder if the ignore list can be made a bit easier to access. It takes me actual effort to get to it.

^this.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

My ignore list is easy to access. If I see a thread started by a bumb-ass/troll I just don't click on it.

Sent via your mom.