The Prince Charles and Putin debate

Started by Munch, May 23, 2014, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I must say, as a brit, though I've never really had much following to the royal family, there are some of there clan I can hold an admire for, like William and Harry servicing in the army showing even princes are prepared to go on the front line.
And just like that, there father, Charles, set to be king of england upon the death of his mother our current queen, said some pretty rousing words, which has now shaken things up in a big way.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/21/prince-charles-proves-chip-off-old-block-after-putin-hitler-gaffe

QuoteIt was, said Marianne Ferguson, "just a little remark. I didn't think it was going to make such a big uproar."

But â€" after the Prince of Wales told the 78-year-old during a royal visit to Canada that he thought Vladimir Putin was behaving like Adolf Hitler â€" Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, Ed Miliband, the Kremlin and even Nigel Farage were sucked into a controversy that sparked a call for Charles to abdicate.

Ferguson, a volunteer at the Canadian Museum of Immigration in Halifax, had told the heir to the throne about her flight from Poland to Canada in 1939 and how the family she left behind perished in Nazi camps. He then reportedly said: "And now Putin is doing just about the same as Hitler."

The response once word leaked, as nothing, even private conversations between two people is kept secret, after word reached putin about being compared to one of the worlds most notorious dictators:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27515086
http://news.yahoo.com/russia-slams-prince-charles-putin-hitler-jibe-140422004.html

QuoteLONDON (AP) â€" Russia criticized Prince Charles' reported comparison of President Vladimir Putin to Adolf Hitler and protested the matter Thursday in a face-to-face meeting with British officials.

Charles, the eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II, reportedly compared Hitler's 1939 invasion of Poland with Russia's annexation of Crimea in a private conversation during his trip to Canada earlier this week.

In Moscow, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said Russia wanted an explanation from Britain about whether Charles expressed that view and whether the wider British government shares it.

"We consider the use of a member of the British royal family by the Western press for waging a propaganda campaign against Russia over ... the situation in Ukraine as unacceptable, outrageous and base," Lukashevich said.

Russian Embassy officials in London met British Foreign Office counterparts Thursday. The embassy said in a statement it sought "official clarifications" of the prince's "outrageous remarks."

And even given all this, the heads of all the uks politcal parties back Charles on what he said.

I'm glad this was said, Russia right now doesn't want the world to think anything bad about fuhrer putin.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

Never been a fan of Prince Charles, but give him credit if he stands behind it. The British people have never been afraid to stand up for what they believe. And I agree, Putin is acting more like Hitler than any other leader I can think of.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on May 23, 2014, 12:59:47 PM
Never been a fan of Prince Charles, but give him credit if he stands behind it. The British people have never been afraid to stand up for what they believe. And I agree, Putin is acting more like Hitler than any other leader I can think of.

yeah. although I was never to happy with the whole events with diana before her death, I think given how good his sons turned out, and charles still applying himself to learning about international politics, well he's an ok guy really. And this cements it even more for me.
Just hope he doesn't back down from it. 

stromboli

The truth is he has done a lot for a lot of people, including the renovation of Windsor Castle and many charities. He is just kind of a wooden, not personable guy, which turns people off to him.

But overall I respect the British Monarchy. Their children serve in the military, they are rigorously educated and are not just sit around spoiled children. they are also stewards over many historical sites and woodlands. Men like Lord Mountbatten and others have served well in times of war. My mother was a big fan of the Queen Mother during WW2, standing tough against the onsluaght of the Nazis against Britain. There is a lot there to respect and admire.

Munch

Yeah. People are always wanting to find fault in the royals, but just putting it into context, they don't actually do any harm, and even do some good with the work they do. I mean they don't govern the country, which sits in the hands of the politicians, but I'd sooner have a monarchy representing something in my land then what russia has with putin, or america with obama.

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on May 23, 2014, 01:52:19 PM
Yeah. People are always wanting to find fault in the royals, but just putting it into context, they don't actually do any harm, and even do some good with the work they do. I mean they don't govern the country, which sits in the hands of the politicians, but I'd sooner have a monarchy representing something in my land then what russia has with putin, or america with obama.

Considering the fact that the system has survived for as long as it has, a Constitutional Monarchy seems to work.

Solitary

Right, and they helped Bush and his cohorts send young men and women to a war based on lies.  :sad2: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aileron

While Putin is a petty tyrant, Prince Charles' comparison is unwarranted, ignorant, and childish.  Like it or not Putin is their elected leader and very popular among people in Russia.  This is mainly because Russians felt the transition from Communism was too abrupt and disorderly, and Putin is their way of getting a soft landing.

While Putin leaves a lot to be desired in a world leader, comparing him to someone who planned to starve the Slavic race into extermination simply makes Charles seem infantile. 
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

stromboli

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-25/hillary-clinton-putin-hitler-comparison-checks-out/5325608

QuoteNo historical analogy is perfect and invoking the Nazis runs the risk of unfairly tainting Russia with all of the atrocities of that era.

However, there are enough similarities between the actions of Germany prior to World War II and Mr Putin's Russia today to justify Ms Clinton's statement that Russia's claims are "reminiscent" of those made back in the 1930s. Ms Clinton's analogy checks out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/currentevents/2014/04/16/is-vladimir-putin-another-adolf-hitler/

QuoteToday’s drift toward war with Russia seems like a replay of the past. Putin is a Russian nationalist, who believes in a strong Stalinist state. His goal is to reverse the events of 1989â€"the end of the Soviet state and dissolution of its enormous empire. He seeks to do this by using what remains of Russia’s Stalinist heritage: the military, a huge stockpile of nuclear weapons and immense resources of natural gas and other forms of energy. These are powerful tools to wield against the various weak states that were part of the U.S.S.R. None has nuclear weapons, and most are dependent on the (relatively) cheap energy Russia supplies. All have ethnic Russian minorities, who speak the language, boast of their superior Russian culture and claim to have been relegated to second-class citizenship. Putin can rely on these minorities to agitate for Russian intervention whenever he wantsâ€"most importantly in the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. His successful annexation of Crimea is greatly encouraging to his long-term plans, and it’s clear he’ll use everything in his power, including military force, to reconstruct his empire.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/h-alan-scott/2014/03/surprising-similarities-between-putin-and-hitler-and-why-you-should-care/

QuoteGroups like “Occupy Pedophilia,” under the guise of catching pedophiles, have systematically targeted, kidnapped, harassed, and likely killed homosexuals. I say “likely” because a death isn’t going to be listed as a hate crime, so there’s no way of knowing if a person was murdered for being gay. These groups, made up mostly of neo-Nazis, are posting their crimes online, not blurring their faces, openly incriminating themselves. But are they being arrested? Of course not. Not stopping them is another way the Putin government is rallying and brainwashing the majority, using fear of the unknown (the gays!) as a scare tactic.

Quote mining is fun!  :biggrin:

Yes, comparing Putin to Hitler doesn't help with international relations. But the comparisons are very real.

Hitler persecuted gays and other groups in Germany as Putin has.
the actions taken against Poland that started WW2 were based on very similar excuses to Putin's attacks on the Ukraine.
NeoNazism is not being suppressed in Russia. Why? Because it is a tool that serves Putin.

Putin's popularity in Russia is like 80% and for similar reasons to Hitler in pre war Germany, the concept of Liebestraum is very similar to Putin's justification for what he did in the Ukraine.

You may not like what was said about him, but I think the comparisons are justified.

The Skeletal Atheist

All said we can't keep whistling and looking the other way while Putin builds his empire. He laughs at sanctions, I don't really know what to do, but he needs to be stopped.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Green Bottle

I thought long an hard about gettin involved in this discussion but  after readin some of the comments and how some of u feel about royalty (spit) i decided to say my piece.
First off, i agree that Putin is actin like a bullyboy throwin his weight around but to compare him to fuckin hitler is stupid and typical of th royals who continously open their mouths without engaging their brains first. How any of u can admire them is beyond me, an even worse in the '' talk nonsense table is his fkn father the ''puke of edinburgh, too many instances to list but if u google him im sure ul find out all u need to know about how much of a fkn moron he is.
As u can probably guess im no fan of that family and its not just because im from scotland either, one of the richest families on the planet, if not the richest and they still get subsidised by the uk taxpayers, now thats disgusting in itself. An as for charles 2 sons serving in the military, oh ye they've done their bit , ye kiddin me on, do u really think any of they two have been anywhere near front line action , i dont think so. i could go on an on  about why i hate their guts but id be here all nite an to be honest iv'e better things to do with maself.....  :wall:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

AllPurposeAtheist

So Chas compared Vlad to Adolf. That and $1.75 will buy you a damned good cup of coffee across the street from me. JOHN MCCAIN said Russia is a gas station mascarading (sp) as a country. That and $1.75 won't get you jack shit. You already spent it on Chas.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Green Bottle

They should just shut th fk up an do what they do best, ponce around in their own little world an let th rest of us get on with real life. the whole idea of royalty in the 21st century is fkn disgustin, dont forget all the money they have was basically robbed  and plundered off the common people down the centuries and none of them have ever done a fkn days work in their pathetic lives............ :axe: :axe: :axe:

AllPurposeAtheist

You should hear the political ilk here.. Obama weak because he hasn't declared WWIII yet. He's weak because Vlad be bad..  It's like a guy with shit in his pants complaining about other people farting.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Green Bottle

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 28, 2014, 06:53:51 PM
You should hear the political ilk here.. Obama weak because he hasn't declared WWIII yet. He's weak because Vlad be bad..  It's like a guy with shit in his pants complaining about other people farting.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I can imagine, i guess politicians over there are just the same as politicians over here, out for themselves and big business, cos as we all kno   war is fkn great ... i  have to admit when osama,,,,,i mean obama was first elected i thot he would do good things for ur country and the world but now here we are a few years down the line an not much has changed, i can just see the wolves in the white house eggin him on to get tough wi wee putin cos thats what we need is another major conflict with mad saddam out of the way, osama dead an sunk (or so they tell us) an afghanistan winding down, all these weapons we've got we need to put them to use right..? :axe: :axe: :axe: