So I got to debate William Lane Craig on the cosmological argument for 12.5 min.

Started by MrPillow, May 12, 2014, 12:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Quote from: josephpalazzo on May 12, 2014, 10:49:06 AM
Prior to General Relativity, one could think of a possible universe with matter and no space/time, or think of a universe with  space/time and no matter. With GR, that is no longer a possibility. Where there is matter, there must be  space/time, and vice-versa. If time is an illusion, then matter would also be, and Casparov would be right... Yikes!

Joseph, just stop it! I can't take my jaws hurting anymore from laughing. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ApostateLois

Craig made the point that time HAS to have a beginning. That depends on your viewpoint. In Hinduism, if I'm not mistaken, time is perceived as circular, not linear, and therefore has no beginning and no end. Events happen in cycles, or ages, that are referred to as yugas, and these repeat themselves over and over and over. What if both the universe and time had no beginning? If Christians can claim God had no beginning and is eternal, I don't see why someone else can't make the same claim for the universe. We can at least SEE the universe, and that is more than can be said for the mystical sky-genie.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Shol'va

Quote from: Casparov on May 12, 2014, 04:18:28 AMTime passing in the universe of Skyrim or World of Warcraft has nothing to do with our time.
It has everything to do with our time. In fact, time passing in those two games is contingent on "our time".
The passage of time in those games is part of the larger game engine that runs it, and that game engine, at it's very basic underpinnings, is dependent on CPU cycles which are a measure of, you guessed it, time.