News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Teach Me About Atheism

Started by Casparov, May 09, 2014, 08:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casparov

Speaking with Shol'va, he mentioned to me:

QuoteYou know ... for somebody that claims is here to learn about atheism, you sure spend a lot of time disputing and NO time asking questions and listening.

And I think he is right. So here are a few questions about Atheism:

I know that Atheist don't believe in any God's, but what I am interested in is what Atheists do believe. This is sometime's referred to as The Anti-Theistic Position. For instance:

Quote“If you are an Atheist, then you believe that it’s possible that there is a universe and a wealth of diverse creatures without guidance. I don’t have any problem with saying that. I not only think it’s possible, I think that that’s probably the best explanation. We never really got around to defending the Anti-Theistic Position. Which, you know, if you want to call back and pay attention, I’d be happy to actually do that, because I think it’s kinda straight forward. ” - Matt Dillahunty at 29:30 of  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfl0pPPrdA

So teach me about Atheism and what it means to live in a universe with no god necessary. What is the nature of reality to an Atheist?
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

Shol'va

Well, your mistake #1 is to assume that all atheists believe in something.
The only thing atheists have in common is lack of belief in god or gods, and that is it.
That is the only common thing that binds us. Other than that, you are talking to ... however many different members this forum has.

What does it mean to live in a world with no god? Depends on who you ask and in what regards (morality, etc). If you ask me, I think I can narrow it down to two: follow the golden rule and don't be an asshole.

Moralnihilist

Doesn't don't be a dick pretty much cover the golden rule? So I would just go with don't be a dick.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

aitm

I find that many people believe that an "atheist" is an atheist first as a baptist or a catlic proclaim there are that first then yada yada....
I am an animal first, a successful one at that. I am a construction worker.....and to that I have climbed the ladder to being the top dog as it may be. I also am a father, a pop-pop, a relatively nice guy that helps others when I can and only when I want to, ( I don't bow to social pressure) ....
I also happen to not believe in bullshit fairy tales which I find leads many to call me an atheist. So be it. I do not call me an atheist...others do. They made it a title and I find over time, I like it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Casparov

Quote from: aitm on May 09, 2014, 09:03:02 PM
I find that many people believe that an "atheist" is an atheist first as a baptist or a catlic proclaim there are that first then yada yada....
I am an animal first, a successful one at that. I am a construction worker.....and to that I have climbed the ladder to being the top dog as it may be. I also am a father, a pop-pop, a relatively nice guy that helps others when I can and only when I want to, ( I don't bow to social pressure) ....
I also happen to not believe in bullshit fairy tales which I find leads many to call me an atheist. So be it. I do not call me an atheist...others do. They made it a title and I find over time, I like it.

I can respect that aitm. BTW, is it true that air handlers under 5 ton don't need duct smoke detectors by code?  :biggrin:
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

Solitary

Quote from: Casparov on May 09, 2014, 08:20:28 PM
Speaking with Shol'va, he mentioned to me:

And I think he is right. So here are a few questions about Atheism:

I know that Atheist don't believe in any God's, but what I am interested in is what Atheists do believe. This is sometime's referred to as The Anti-Theistic Position. For instance:

So teach me about Atheism and what it means to live in a universe with no god necessary. What is the nature of reality to an Atheist?

I believe in objective reality with no God or gods needed, as well as no supernatural powers. Reality is materialistic and made of particles, even space-time and fields. I also believe we are materialistic and conscious because we have a brain and living body composed of billions of living cells, and we are nothing more than the sum of our parts working like everything else that is alive, or not, and dead. When I am unconscious I don't exist as a mind, only the unconscious mind of my body alive and functioning, and when I die I cease to exist both physically and mentally. Everything is made of matter composed of particles, even energy.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Well, atheism itself is extremely straightforward and concise:  no gods.

As for what atheists believe is of course extremely varied.  Atheism is about as broad a category as they come and atheists aren't like their theistic counterparts in the sense that theists typically hold a common belief system, holy text, and religious authority.  It's bit like fans of one particular football team or another versus everyone who doesn't particularly care for football.  The second group naturally has a whole lot less in common.  In fact, it's entirely possible for an atheist to believe in supernatural beings (so long as none of them are gods), believe in magic, and/or subscribe to a non-theistic religion.  And at the other end of the spectrum, there are atheists who are utterly irreligious, perhaps even opposed to organized religion, and/or do not believe in the existence of anything supernatural at all.   It's important to bear in mind that this is a very broad category and no two atheists are necessarily going to have the same beliefs.

But there are ideas that are fairly widespread among atheists:  freethought, secularism, naturalism, humanism, scientific skepticism.  And there are lots of really fascinating secular philosophies and ethical systems.

I recommend TV Tropes for a surprisingly good crash course on atheism/atheists.  One of my favorite books, Doubt: A History, gives a far more detailed overview.

PickelledEggs

Atheism is the easiest thing to learn about because you only need to know one thing. We don't believe in god/religion. That is the one and only thing we necessarily have in common.

Hydra009

Quote from: Casparov on May 09, 2014, 08:20:28 PMSo teach me about Atheism and what it means to live in a universe with no god necessary. What is the nature of reality to an Atheist?
Well, the day-to-day life is surprisingly similar.  Work and taxes.  Leisure and sleep.  Day in and day out.  The main difference is that I don't pray or go to church or dwell on some sort of imagined post-life life (a notion which seems inherently contradictory).

The nature of reality is a pretty daunting topic, but I will try.  I am aware that the scientific experts have discovered some marvelous things - space and time vast galaxies, stars, and worlds beyond counting.  Yet, not a god in sight.  And there has been a similar dry spell for once-prolific miracles.  What little that is known seems to suggest that this world may not be so demon-haunted after all.  Beyond that, I couldn't say.

AllPurposeAtheist

Lesson 1, atheism: Don't believe in gods or supernatural mumbo jumbo.

Congratulations,  you're a graduate.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Aletheia

I know that Atheist don't believe in any God's, but what I am interested in is what Atheists do believe. This is sometime's referred to as The Anti-Theistic Position.

No, it's not. Anti-theists can be atheists but not all atheists are anti-theists, much in the same way all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

An anti-theist is most often a gnostic atheist, in that they claim to have knowledge (gnostic) that there isn't a god. Other atheists can be agnostic, in that they do not know if a god exists but believe one probably doesn't. Often times the position of an agnostic atheist is based on logical reasoning - other times it may not extend beyond personal belief (or lack of belief).

Please do not make assumptions.

A world view in which a god concept is absent can vary greatly depending on whether the atheist you are talking to is rational or not. A scientologist will have a radically different perspective than an atheist scientist. There is no such thing as a one-size fits all "atheist" viewpoint. Often times "rationalists" will be confused as being the only perspective afforded to atheists, which simply isn't true.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Hydra009

Quote from: Aletheia on May 10, 2014, 02:07:29 AMA world view in which a god concept is absent can vary greatly depending on whether the atheist you are talking to is rational or not. A scientologist will have a radically different perspective than an atheist scientist. There is no such thing as a one-size fits all "atheist" viewpoint. Often times "rationalists" will be confused as being the only perspective afforded to atheists, which simply isn't true.
+1

Just think - Objectivists and Marxist-Leninist atheists, Buddhists and LeVeyan Satanists, Raelians and rationalists, "militant" atheists and accomodationists - all in the same merry band of misfits!  Though the reality is that we're only loosely affiliated with each other, if at all.  And often, diametrically opposed.  There is not so much a big tent as there are many tents.

AllPurposeAtheist

All atheist believe [ insert gibberish here ] and don't forget that or let anyone tell you any different!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

La Dolce Vita

I think your problem with understanding atheism starts with the very questions you pose, as they cannot in any way or form be answered. Atheism is not an ideology, it is not a statement of beliefs, and it's a completely insignificant part of our lives until someone starts bringing up gods. 

The only reason why forum's like this exists, there being books on atheism, etc. is because belief in gods is so wide-spread and damaging. Specific forums like this and their memberships are also typically based on stances of actual relevance in our lives though, such as skepticism, apistevism, etc. but these are not defining traits of atheism, merely building blocks of the worldviews of certain atheists. Many atheists are not skeptics. Many believe in concepts like karma, afterlives and other forms of magic woo. There are plenty of atheistic religions with legions of ridiculous ideas, as well as standalone non-religious atheists with equally crazy ideas.

(As for the Dillahunty quote, I think he's wrong. I personally agree it's not only plossible, but that it's the most likely explanation - but you merely have to not know whether either proposition is plossible or not to be an atheist - of course, that's debating semantics and what the term "possible" refers to)

As for the nature of reality to this specific atheist, i.e. me. I'd say it's whatever the nature of reality actually is. I make no statements on it, but will follow the supported observations of science as the most likely explanations, and look forward to finding out more. Like everyone (remotely sane) I accept "reality", as solipsism is a useless proposition that leads nowhere and renders discussion and discovery meaningless. We need to address reality, if not we can't address anything sensible. Aside from that I'm completely open to any discoveries about the nature of this reality, be it designed or not.

Note that atheists can be solipsists, and that atheists can believe that reality needs to be transcended, etc.

the_antithesis

So teach me about Atheism and what it means to live in a universe with no god necessary.

What's a god?

That's all you'll ever need to know about atheism.