News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

what if?

Started by benjgundy, May 06, 2014, 01:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioteir

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 06:39:01 AM
Random chaos is what we would expect from a big bang more than we would from intelligent design. In a world without God, would genocide be a threat? Could it not be advancement through survival of the fittest?

That is an astounding amount of ignorance. No point in talking to you. No point in dignifying your ignorance with a serious answer. Bye bye. See you later.
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

Bibliofagus

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 01:56:00 AM
What if God was real and the Bible were true? How would life change?

I would build an iron chariot, kill the monster, and we would all be back in reality as we know it.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Jason78

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 06, 2014, 03:42:24 PM
I work saturday and sunday. So either way you slice it, I'm getting stoned to death.

How much weed would you need to do that?  Is it even possible?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mandingo

QuoteQuote from: PickelledEggs on May 06, 2014, 03:42:24 PM
I work saturday and sunday. So either way you slice it, I'm getting stoned to death.

Quote from: Jason78 on May 07, 2014, 06:40:55 AM

No: they tried overdosing it to execute that guy, last week.
But he died from a heart attack...

Imagine that: the stuff is so dangerous that they jail 3 million people in 'the land of the free' for possession of it, yet they can't even kill one guy with it.  :)

Mermaid

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 05:50:41 AM
I realize that you perceive God and anyone who believes in him to be a threat in the same way that I perceive atheism to be a threat, but I was asking what constitutes a threat to society rather than simply an example.
I do?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

KUSA

Mandingo

What if God was real and the Bible were true?

I'd kick him in the balls as hard as I can, tie him down flat on the ground, sprinkle him liberally with sugar, and let the ants go nuts. And after a week I'd sprinkle salt and pepper in his wounds.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jason78 on May 07, 2014, 06:40:55 AM
Lol the one time I tried weed, I had a panic attack. I don't think I can handle it haha

Sent via your mom

Solitary

A hypothetical question about a hypothetical entity---what's the point? If there were not a God nothing would be any different. What's that tell you? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Moralnihilist

How about this one:

You hear a knock on your front door. You open the door only to be faced with an infinite number of monkeys with an equally infinite number of laptops wanting to discuss their rewrite of Hamlet. What would you suggest if they wanted to modernize the tale?

Since we are shooting out realistically impossible scenarios.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

AllPurposeAtheist

Congress would investigate. Hearings would continue forever.  BENGAZI!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Savior2006

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 05:35:40 AM
What makes something a threat to society?

Flooding the world and killing nearly every person on it. Condemning people to an eternity of torture for no worshiping you. Etc,.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

pm1255

Let's just go with Christianity(any religion can be used in it's place, same result), if that were to be proven 100% real tomorrow, then life on Earth would be spinning out of control with people of different beliefs freaking out and doing stupid things.

But if it were 100% proven from the beginning of time and it was just such irrefutable evidence that people thousands of years later couldn't deny it then life likely wouldn't be much different then it is now, throughout most of humanity's history most of the population has believed in a god, atheism hasn't been on the rise until recently. Unfortunately no such proof exists so that is an impossible scenario.

If everyone had common sense from the human race's origin then we'd also likely be in a similar area, maybe slightly advanced, but not too drastic.

Mandingo

Hey, what about them Lakers, eh?

the_antithesis

So many things would be different, it is impossible to speculate.

For starters, the entire world would be a desert like Tatooine because the god of the bible is such an asshole because it's an angry desert god.

More importantly, if god were real and the bible were true, christianity itself would be completely different. the basic concepts of christianity are formulated like a manipulative lie to fool stupid or weak people into believing it. If christianity were real, it would be unrecognizable from the religion we see today.