News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

what if?

Started by benjgundy, May 06, 2014, 01:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 05:50:41 AM
I realize that you perceive God and anyone who believes in him to be a threat in the same way that I perceive atheism to be a threat, but I was asking what constitutes a threat to society rather than simply an example.

The God of the bible is jealous, and apparently can and will smite people simply for the crime of causing him offence.  If we're talking about the same god, then he's been known to smite whole civilisations just for the crime of existing.

We humans call stuff like that crimes against humanity.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Elect

If the Bible were literally true, from the creation point, the world would resemble a cartoon more than reality. miracles would be popping off all the time. Things would make no sense whatsoever, and you would never know what to expect. It would be bizzarro.

benjgundy

Random chaos is what we would expect from a big bang more than we would from intelligent design. In a world without God, would genocide be a threat? Could it not be advancement through survival of the fittest?

Jason78

In a world without God, with God, or with gods;  genocide would still be a threat.   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

renasimplified

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 06:39:01 AM
Random chaos is what we would expect from a big bang more than we would from intelligent design. In a world without God, would genocide be a threat? Could it not be advancement through survival of the fittest?

In a world with God, why not everyone die and let him sort us out so us can live in his perfection? Let us just force his hand, shall we?

And for the record, survival of the fittest does not out weigh our morals or understanding of the value of life that leads to ideas, growth, society And future

I was just in AR where a tornado killed like 15-16 people in a chaotic event. But let's be honest, with the advancement of technology many were saved. Early warning, storm watches save people, because as we get to understand our world and the laws of nature, of the cosmos, we can more accurately   predict these events, saving more lives.

So where the hell is this god who made everything so much better? Shouldn't he have put in a warning light or something? Pretty sure if he did exist, he has some apologies to give out.

DunkleSeele

You have the usual religious preconception that "survival of the fittest" necessarily means "survival of the strongest and meanest". That's religious brainwashing for you.

GSOgymrat

If Christianity were true I would be hugely disappointed because we are just created by God to worship him... that's it. Nothing in the material world really matters. The best course of action would be to live a monastic life, minimize your contact with people and just pray until you die so you don't go to hell.

Elect

Random chaos is what we would expect from a big bang more than we would from intelligent design.

What happened to the Bible being literally true? Now you're calling it ID. Are we still talking about the Bible where all the magical stuff that happens? If the Bible were literally true, but God stopped doing the magic stuff and miracles about the time it was written (just to trick us or whatever) There would still be some residual magic happening as the created universe tries to catch up to the natural universe we see today.

If the Bible were literally true and God didn't stop doing all the magic stuff, and the Universe was a couple of thousand years old, then the basic physical laws would be A LOT different, and frankly we would probably see some extraordinary supernatural stuff pretty regularly instead of never.

But if you're just going plain old ID on me... then who knows what that would look like because ID has no explanatory or predictability powers. At least with the Bible you get this cartoon like type of universe that works with the help of supernatural magic.

Elect

Quote from: DunkleSeele on May 06, 2014, 07:02:04 AM
You have the usual religious preconception that "survival of the fittest" necessarily means "survival of the strongest and meanest". That's religious brainwashing for you.

^^^This

@Benjgundy you should probably call it Natural Selection, and also I think you might have the idea that it's some kind of system of morality. It's not. It's a system of natural mechanisms.

ApostateLois

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 01:56:00 AM
What if God was real and the Bible were true? How would life change?

There are people who claim the Bible IS true and that the God portrayed therein IS real. If they are correct, then life as we know it is the direct result of that God being real. All the miseries, hardships, poverty, crime, hatred, greed, and torment suffered by humanity is that God's fault for creating this mess. Frankly, though, I don't see any evidence of a God at all, for good or ill. It is just us humans here on Earth, struggling to evolve and often failing miserably. In all the world, in all the universe, there is no hint of either help or hindrance from somewhere "out there," no clue that some higher power is going to save us from ourselves. We will either stand or fall on our own.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

leo

When you are talking about "god " , you are talking about Chuck Norris ? 

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

PickelledEggs

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 05:02:29 AM
In holding him accountable, would you demand that he wipe out everything that is evil?
If he existed, I would demand that he just fuck off. The amount of truly evil people are a decimal of a fraction, but that isn't the case for the Christian god or the Bible. According to Christianity, everyone on earth would be wiped out.

Sent via your mom

Poison Tree

Quote from: benjgundy on May 06, 2014, 01:56:00 AM
What if God was real and the Bible were true? How would life change?
I'm going to assume you intended to ask if the bible were true literally (if not, then answer what you did intend instead of reading this), for if it were true in a metaphorical or spiritual way there could be a million contradictory truths. How would the world be different? Well, history would look a lot different. There wouldn't be life--let alone civilizations--older than 6000 years. There would be no continuous civilizations older than 4000 years. There would be massive evidence of a world wide flood. We would see evidence of all the species radiation out of first the garden of Eden and then the mountains of Ararat. We'd see fossils of all different variates of animals intermixed throughout the massive flood deposits. We'd see evidence of the Exodus--including vast changes in the population of Egypt and the middle east. We'd live in a world with different laws of logic so that biblical contradictions were still true. We'd live in a world where those who had even the tiniest amount of faith could have heal the sick (maybe even raise the dead) and thrown mountains into the sea. Oh, and Jesus would already have come back.

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 06, 2014, 04:32:16 AM
you would have to be stoned to death for working on a sunday
Saturday
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Poison Tree on May 06, 2014, 03:36:13 PM
Saturday
I work saturday and sunday. So either way you slice it, I'm getting stoned to death.

The Skeletal Atheist

If the Christian God were real he'd have a shit ton to answer for. He'd also be undeserving of human worship.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!