News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nuclear War, What's To Fear?

Started by Solitary, April 27, 2014, 03:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

:eek: http://youtu.be/COidpPma6Bc 

If any of you have put hydrogen peroxide on a cut you know what is does when mixed with blood. Radiation poisoning turns the water in your blood to hydrogen peroxide. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mandingo

Yeah!
And if nukeler war doesn't end it all, a global epidemic will! Or a couple big ass meteorite impacts of course!
So dance! Dance on the edge of the volcano!

In the words of the immortal bard:
"If there's hell below
we're all gonna go!"

Or was that Holland-Dozier-Holland again?

stromboli

Meh. I spent 4 years aboard an FBM submarine during the cold war. I was at the "sharp point of the nuclear spear" for 6 patrols. didn't lose any sleep then and I'm not losing it now.

Mandingo

Quote from: stromboli on May 05, 2014, 10:35:37 PM
Meh. I spent 4 years aboard an FBM submarine during the cold war. I was at the "sharp point of the nuclear spear" for 6 patrols. didn't lose any sleep then and I'm not losing it now.

That was like a comfy Holiday Inn while I was observing the iron curtain at 500 meters distance from a dug-in tank position with live ammo in the breach during one of the hotter episodes of the cold war.

stromboli

Quote from: Mandingo on May 05, 2014, 10:47:51 PM
That was like a comfy Holiday Inn while I was observing the iron curtain at 500 meters distance from a dug-in tank position with live ammo in the breach during one of the hotter episodes of the cold war.

Okay, so my freezing my ass off in North Atlantic winter temps doesn't hold a candle? Oh you are right. it doesn't. Did I mention you can eat so much lobster you can actually get sick of it? Pizza every third night? BOring!  :biggrin:
Did I mention the foreign, unedited movies with all the scenes cut out for US consumption still in there?
A living hell my friend. A living hell.

The Skeletal Atheist

I worry about us ending humanity over stupid shit like this, but life? Hell no. We'll destroy ourselves on this planet and many other creatures due to our own stupidity, that I'm sure of.  Well we destroy life? No fucking way.

If we wipe it all but bacteria with our antics there is still another 5 or so billion years before the sun goes out. Intelligent life may evolve again, and hopefully it works be smarter than us. I will be dead either way, so while it is fun to speculate it is useless to care about the human legacy after humanity is gone.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Worrying about nuclear war is like worrying about the next Ice Age. If it ever gets here, conditions politically and socially will be so seriously fucked that it will seem like an aftermath. My simple life philosophy is don't worry about shit you have no control over, prepare when you can, and live life to the best of your ability. I don't worry about the weather, but i know what it is before I take my dog for a walk.

AllPurposeAtheist

Time to start reading the "Out of the Ashes" series again. I forget how to be the superhero and save all of humanity after 99.9999% is dead. How's that go again?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mandingo

I can.
Kryptonite doesn't affect me.

aileron

The dawn of the nuclear age has saved countless millions of lives.  Waging war for fun and profit no longer makes sense in a nuclear armed world. 
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: Mandingo on May 05, 2014, 10:47:51 PM

What part of Europe? My brother was in Germany for a lot of that shit as a TC and loved quoting life expectancy numbers to my mom to see her reaction.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

AllPurposeAtheist

All you need to know to survive nuclear war is that you need a 1950s style grade school desk. Get under it and you can be the new savior...or something like that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on May 08, 2014, 03:07:53 AM

If I remember correctly from sixth grade, that is only after you kiss your ass goodbye.  :winkle: Solitary
I just knew that my teacher forgot something diring those drills.
Can you imagine telling kids they could stand a chance of survival in a nuclear attack by getting under a desk? That sounds like the Texas school board curriculum.

Mandingo

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 08, 2014, 03:29:01 AM
I just knew that my teacher forgot something diring those drills.
Can you imagine telling kids they could stand a chance of survival in a nuclear attack by getting under a desk? That sounds like the Texas school board curriculum.

Perfectly fitting for a country that's still got more than 20.000 live nukeler warheads on a hair's trigger, deployed across the globe.