Pleas define "spirituality" cuz I think it is a god appendix(read for explanatio

Started by Alexnvy, April 22, 2014, 07:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexnvy

I hear atheist say I'm not religious but I'm spiritual (I'm not honest but your interesting, jk idk where I herd that from) and others saying that science and spirituality is the same thing (hippy college professor, and it is soooooooo not) but idk what spirituality is, to me it's that appendix from religiosity that atheist converts have, they r so used to thinking magic and they carry over this little uforia tidbit but it dose nothing really sense no one I ask can define it for me. I get bull answers like "you just have to know"  and "do you believe in science? Well it is the same thing really" which really set my teeth on edge, as I said to me it is peoples fear of letting go that last bit of magic. But I'm always happy to be proven wrong...well sort of.... I h8 being wrong but I'm happy that I will be correct from here on. So pleas educate me :) thank you (typing on iPad so it might have autocorrected some words incorrectly, and I hope I conveyed a natural/friendly overtone)
I use Facebook still.... So if you like me add me idk y just do it! Alexey Nikolskiy

Shol'va

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

QuoteThe term "spirituality" lacks a definitive definition,[1][2] although social scientists have defined spirituality as the search for "the sacred," where "the sacred" is broadly defined as that which is set apart from the ordinary and worthy of veneration.[3]

The use of the term "spirituality" has changed throughout the ages.[4] In modern times, spirituality is often separated from Abrahamic religions,[5] and connotes a blend of humanistic psychology with mystical and esoteric traditions and eastern religions aimed at personal well-being and personal development.[6] The notion of "spiritual experience" plays an important role in modern spirituality, but has a relatively recent origin.[7]

Alexnvy

I read that before and the word mystical jumps out at me and as far as I understand it's sort of left overs from god, magic, I don't understand what it is and why do people seek it, and and ügh I'm still confused!  why! I understand god as a desire to answer questions (gap god and it's people's desire to know the unknown) then turned into a mind control tool in the dark ages,(it's a good control tool because it requires no explanation and eases existence and promises justice and reward for good behavior) but what is spirituality about?!?!? Y seek it, it's like believing in good/bad luck, or karma, well ok I get bad/good luck it is over analyzing and an ilutioun of a pattern , and I believe in loose social karma, when people help you because you helped them, (but no magical power that will reward things no one witnessed, DOSNT mean you should only do things when someone is watching tho)

BUT I STILL DONT GET SPIRITUALITY PLZ HELP    (I have a really really really bad migraine so I can't form thought properly so if something DOSNT makes sense point it out plz, and the stupid iPad is still fucking with me by all caping the word DOSNT and turning go into good ext  )
I use Facebook still.... So if you like me add me idk y just do it! Alexey Nikolskiy

Jason78

Quote from: Alexnvy on April 22, 2014, 07:47:47 PM
So pleas educate me :) thank you (typing on iPad so it might have autocorrected some words incorrectly, and I hope I conveyed a natural/friendly overtone)

Are you retarded?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Alexnvy

ApostateLois

I think mostly they mean that they think there might be some supernatural element to existence on Earth, but don't subscribe to any religion and don't believe there is a need to worship or honor the supernatural. They may accept the possibility of things like ghosts, spirits, and human souls, but don't believe in the multitude of gods, devils, angels, etc. worshiped by various religions. They may say that "God" is not a bearded old man in the sky, pronouncing doom upon sinners, but is the collective consciousness of all of humanity; or the universe, itself, is God, and we are parts of the universe, and that makes us God, as well.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Arellius

As I know the term; anything to do with the human spirit in connection with everything. Lifting ones spirits or a great uplifting feeling of bliss, mostly in combination with an experience in nature, with other people or a higher power. When people say they are spiritual I interpret it as being agnostic.

A very close friend of mine isn't committed to any religion, he would define himself as spiritual being on the side of the eastern philosophies (Buddhism, Hinduism/Krishna Consciousness). He does not use the term ''God'' because he doesn't believe you can label such a power with mere words, it's an internal feeling that cannot be expressed with words (meditation perhaps). He's more likely to say ''a conscious entity'' and the connection to that conscious entity would be spiritual.

People whom I consider spiritual but not religious: Osho, Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra although Mr. Chopra had dissapointed me when I saw him debate Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, not even close to the calmness of for example Osho, as you would expect someone to be who has practiced ''spirituality'' al their lives.

The difference between spirituality and religion ? Being spiritual is being more peaceful and meditating allot more, not focussing on doctrines but focussing on the self and detaching yourself from ego. The book ''A New Earth'' by Eckhart Tolle is a good read and feels allot better than reading anything from the Bible, even the parts where it tells you to just be a good person.

Another quote I once saw on Facebook I thought was quite funny with a bit of truth: ''Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell, people who practice spirituality have already been there.''   
Napoleon Hill - Think & Grow Rich