News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Boom! Atheism rules.

Started by Off With Religion Threads, April 13, 2014, 08:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Off With Religion Threads on April 13, 2014, 08:50:55 PM
This same feeling of excitement into the unknown is what I feel when I think about being an Atheist. It's freedom from the shackles of religious dogma, not in a condescending way. It's a great feeling to know that there's a vast amount of knowledge and unknown that is left for us to discover. Man, this sounds cheesy.
Atheism frees you from religion and allows you to freely bask in awe and wonder at the wonderful story science has to tell.  It's a true story, and yet far more exciting than the fictions and myths of religion.

stromboli

Off With Religion Threads

Haha.. I came off a bit too excited. I must've had an excess amount of dopamine in my system. But yeah, I'm aware at how real Atheists are.. some are real pessimists and make it known, whilst others just keep to themselves.

Sorry people, I don't have $100 or even 99GBP but.. if you will all send me $500 each I will give you access to my fortune. You see, I am the son of the deposed king of Nigeria, and I need these emergency funds to pay for fees associated with reclaiming my fathers wealth. This isn't a scam!

** Replay with your Account & Routing number so I know you're not a spam bot
If you walk in front of me, I may not follow.
If you walk behind of me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

-Albert Camus (supposedly)

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 13, 2014, 09:00:16 PM
Welcome, but about the only real common thread among atheists is lack of belief in god($). Don't get to excited. You haven't joined an elite club or anything.

Haha.. yes, I'm aware that I haven't joined an elite club. But it doesn't change the fact that it feels great to be amongst like minded individuals. It'll wear off in the future, that I'm sure of. Thanks for the welcome :grin:

Quote from: Berati on April 13, 2014, 11:14:42 PM
Years ago, when I first joined an atheist forum I felt kinda like you. But I learned that, as some have already suggested, there is no common ground among atheists other than not believing in god(s). Atheism is not a philosophy or an ideology. Seriously, if you think to find some sort of sense of camaraderie, it won't happen. I would suggest Humanism if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry to sound so negative but I think it's important to know what you're getting into. The good news is that I have learned quite a lot from these kinds of forums as I'm sure you will if you stick with it.

I've never quite understood that.. the lack of camaraderie. Why is that? though we share the same core belief, why cant we just use that for good? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we can create such an environment. Fuck, it is the internet where we are basically faceless and can say whatever. but still!
Thanks for being real :thumb up:

Hydra009

Quote from: Off With Religion Threads on April 14, 2014, 05:22:19 PM
I've never quite understood that.. the lack of camaraderie. Why is that? though we share the same core belief, why cant we just use that for good? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we can create such an environment.
While atheism is a good starting point, it's not exactly something people can rally behind.  It's too broad a category.  It's like banding together all the Ricks in the multiverse.  There's just so much variation and not a whole lot holding it together.  This is us right now.  We do much better in groups with more narrowly-defined goals - separation of church and state, bolstering science education, humanist groups, etc.

I'm not saying that you won't win friends and influence people here at AF, but I wouldn't have very high expectations of us.  Half the time, we can't agree that blue is a color and the other half we inconclusively debate whether or not it's superior to red.

Shiranu

Blue is clearly superiour though,  just to make sure we are clear on that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mister Agenda

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

Quote from: Off With Religion Threads on April 14, 2014, 04:44:34 PM
Haha.. I came off a bit too excited. I must've had an excess amount of dopamine in my system. But yeah, I'm aware at how real Atheists are.. some are real pessimists and make it known, whilst others just keep to themselves.

Sorry people, I don't have $100 or even 99GBP but.. if you will all send me $500 each I will give you access to my fortune. You see, I am the son of the deposed king of Nigeria, and I need these emergency funds to pay for fees associated with reclaiming my fathers wealth. This isn't a scam!

** Replay with your Account & Routing number so I know you're not a spam bot

Welcome aboard Off With Religion Threads! A pessimist is what an idealist calls a realist. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Naru

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Off

** Reply with your Account & Routing number so I know you're not a spam bot

Welcome, Off! I like your sense of humor.

I too feel the excitement of being around people who share many of my views. As atheists, not many of us get that in real life.

I hope you stay for awhile! :smile2:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com