News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happiness

Started by Contemporary Protestant, May 11, 2014, 05:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moralnihilist

Happiness is a home-brew and a quiet day home with nobody bothering me. And today I am quite happy.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

KUSA

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 11, 2014, 05:10:41 PM
Do people deserve "happiness", and can such a thing be defined or obtained?

Of course you deserve happiness.  Allow me to roll you some.

ApostateLois

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 12, 2014, 03:50:19 PM
I will clarify

How could we evolve to use other animals to our benefit? Animals of course help the human race but how could we have evolved beyond the desire to kill and eat our animals.

How did it happen within the context of evolution, pre homo sapien sapien

There seems to have been an increase in human intelligence around 40,000 years ago. This is when we see the earliest cave paintings, indicating that humans were starting to become creative and to think in more abstract terms than their predecessors. We do find things like arrowheads and spear points from long before then, but no artwork (or at least, none that has survived). It's not possible to know for sure, but this might also be when humans first began thinking of animals as something other than food. Wolves, following bands of hunting humans, could have sounded the alarm by barking when rival predators arrived at the kill site. It wouldn't have been much of a stretch to figure out that wolf pups raised among humans would bond to their human family and serve as warning and protection against rival tribes.

I think domestication of hoofed animals would have come much later. Horses can't really follow humans around and warn of impending danger the way a wolf can. Horses appear in cave art alongside bison, antelope, and other food animals and so were probably regarded as meat rather than companions or beasts of burden. So far, the earliest evidence of horse domestication dates to about 4000 BCE. What prompted this development is unknown.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Mr.Obvious

Actually, artwork can be found much earlier. Like the Venus of Tan-Tan which is probably somewhere between 250.000 and 500.000 years old.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PickelledEggs

Happiness is also different from deserving the world on as silver platter because it only involves that person. It's a mindset.