News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Crosses on Public Lands

Started by Lao Tou, April 14, 2014, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lao Tou

I have a question for the other atheists here about crosses on public land. The question is, who gives a shit and why?

There are a few in my town, and when I drive near the ones that I can see I just ignore them. The other one, which has been the subject of several court cases, takes more effort to see than I'm willing to expend. That one has become styled as a war memorial with all sorts of plaques and photos of old dead guys.

So why should I care if the crosses are there? Now, I would not agree to plans to build a new one on public land, but these things have been there for decades. The way I see it, if they allow those crosses to stay on public land then nobody can whine if some Jewish vets want to erect a huge star of David, or if some Islamic types want to build a symbol of their religion.  I would personally prefer a 60-foot tall statue of Gandalf, if we're getting into commemorating favorite myths and books.
Recovering Baptist

"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilization, to get rid of the undesirable and unfit. I can\'t prove it, but you can\'t disprove it either."
Christopher Hitchens, in "God is Not Great"

stromboli

There are crosses on various roads in Utah where people have died in accidents. It is a way of reminding people that accidents can happen and a memorial for fallen people. I don't have a problem with that. But a cross on a court house or other public building I think is inappropriate.

Lao Tou

I agree with you there. The ones in San Diego (that I know of) are all on hill tops that happen to be public land.
Recovering Baptist

"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilization, to get rid of the undesirable and unfit. I can\'t prove it, but you can\'t disprove it either."
Christopher Hitchens, in "God is Not Great"

Jason78

Quote from: Lao Tou on April 14, 2014, 10:38:48 PM
I have a question for the other atheists here about crosses on public land. The question is, who gives a shit and why?

Because it's offensive that's why.   If it were a man on a breaking wheel instead of a cross you'd find most people up in arms about it and rightly so.   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mister Agenda

If they'd allow a Wiccan memorial, they can have crosses. If not, not.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

It's a symbol of everything that is wrong in the world: ignorance and cruelty. And Christianity pushing this country to be a Christian theocracy instead of a secular Nation, that has made it great, instead of a theocracy like it is in the Middle East with Sharia Law that is draconian and unjust. When beliefs become more important than sentient creature like we are it is as ignorant as one can get. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aileron

It's all about context.  If decades ago some American Legion troop erected a cross to commemorate war dead, neither the intent nor the effect was to violate the Establishment Clause.  If some fundie group wants to place a cross in front of a legislative building or courthouse then both the intent and effect violate the Establishment Clause.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

ApostateLois

Those stupid roadside crosses annoy me. The landscape is already cluttered enough with signs, billboards, and trash, we don't need people putting up crosses everywhere. They're always so tacky looking. Plus, they are kind of macabre. Why commemorate the place where someone died a terrible death? I doubt that anyone drives more safely after seeing these crosses. If a loved one died of a heart attack in the middle of Walmart, would they pound a cross in the floor of aisle 14?

As for other crosses, I don't care if they're on church property or in someone's yard, I just don't see the point of having them on public grounds, such as at a courthouse, school, or library. If they want to honor Jesus, let them do it where the public isn't going to be paying for it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"