News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Feds force Ohio's hand on same sex marriage

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, April 14, 2014, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

QuoteIt's not a ruling for full marriage equality, but a judge has ruled that Ohio must recognizesame-sex marriages performed in other states:
Judge Timothy Black’s ruling on Monday criticized the state’s “ongoing arbitrary discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.”

He says the state’s marriage recognition bans are unconstitutional and unenforceable.

The state is expected to appeal, so this, like many of the other pro-equality rulings since the Supreme Court struck down part of the Defense of Marriage Act, will not be finalized for some time. Black is temporarily staying his order to allow both sides to make arguments for and against a longer stay; if he doesn't grant the longer stay, the state will presumably ask an appeals court to do so.

Heads are exploding 2 blocks away from me. I live 2 blocks from the state house.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Makes you wonder if these states somehow managed to hire lawyers that skipped constitutional law in law school. Obama didn't support DOMA because he said it was unconstitutional. The fact that it was struck down by a right-biased SCOTUS ought to be a clue. Apparently not. And nobody apparently cares they are wasting millions fighting a cause they will ultimately lose.

aileron

Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

'Nuff said.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

stromboli

Quote from: aileron on April 14, 2014, 12:50:26 PM
Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

'Nuff said.

Right. They didn't read that?

PopeyesPappy

What makes you think the conservaturd fuckwits that pass these kind of laws can read?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

Much like abortion they'll keep trying to push it through back doors as wedge issues. It's damned sure not going away any time soon.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.