Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Agnostic Newbie

Started by Observant1, April 13, 2014, 10:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Observant1

Quote from: wolf39us on April 13, 2014, 11:08:23 AM
welcome to the forums.

Let me help clarify one thing for you.  If you in ANY way do not believe in a God's existence (regardless if you think that one is unprovable either way) then you are an Atheist.  Many of us are Agnostic Atheist -- but in the end... you're still an Atheist :-)

Thanks for the insight. Even if the Christian God doesn't exist, then how did we get here? Are we just a cosmic accident?

There are laws of physics, math, etc. Who or what created them?
I'm now an agnostic, but I grew up on the King James version, which I'm eternally grateful for.
- Penelope Lively

I'm watching you!

Observant1

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2014, 11:33:31 AM
Literally haunted?  Or just terrible places to stay?

Ghosts wouldn't be all that bad even if they did exist.  They don't eat your food, they don't make messes, they're always free to talk, they could give homework help (esp history assignments), etc.  Might be pretty nice once you get on good terms.

I lived in a haunted college dorm, where TVs and such would come on by themselves. While using Tarot cards in my childhood home in the late Nineties, a creature darted over my head. Also, there was a demonic image of a face on the side of a wooden desk. I also see one on my bedroom door today.

WTF?
I'm now an agnostic, but I grew up on the King James version, which I'm eternally grateful for.
- Penelope Lively

I'm watching you!

Observant1

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 13, 2014, 03:44:49 PM
Have you considered Toothfairianism?
FACT: The Tooth Fairy is the only supernatural being to pay cold, hard cash to children in exchange for the loss of teeth
FACT: Dinosaur bones have to come from somewhere, most likely from ground kids teeth.
FACT: The Tooth Fairy offers free pick up and delivery. :eek:

Can you explain why people will be worshipping the Easter bunny this weekend? Did he lay those eggs?  :rolleyes:
- Penelope Lively

I'm watching you!

Solitary

Welcome aboard Observant1! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: Observant1 on April 16, 2014, 08:55:15 AMI lived in a haunted college dorm, where TVs and such would come on by themselves.
Not to be dismissive, but have you considered a more prosaic explanation than a disembodied spirit occupying it?  Electronic devices do some screwy things for all sorts of reasons.  And I guarantee you, that none of them can do anything physically impossible, like power themselves on without a power source.  Physics and physics alone  dictates their operation.

I've encountered lots of strange things in my life and not once has an alleged haunting ever held water.  A violently swaying swingset with no one in sight?  A cat was resting on it then leaped off when another cat scared it away.  A store's door chime is activated even though all doors are shut and locked.  Turns out that  an impact against the floor will also activate it.  A car's headlight covers swing open and closed while the car is off.  Electrical issue.

Ghosts (and Gods) are simply a mental placeholder for a real explanation.

Bibliofagus

Welcome

Quote from: Observant1 on April 16, 2014, 08:55:15 AM
I lived in a haunted college dorm where TVs and such would come on by themselves.

I have had soooo many lols pulling that one on people. It was when I was a lot younger than I am now.
The trick can be pulled in many ways. The easiest one is by using a... remote control.

While using Tarot cards in my childhood home in the late Nineties, a creature darted over my head.

A 'creature'?

Also, there was a demonic image of a face on the side of a wooden desk.

Assuming you are not talking about carvings or paintings:
Seek help. Your dorm mates were probably pulling your leg with the television thing because you are metally unstable.

I also see one on my bedroom door today.

WTF?

Seek help.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.