News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Agnostic Newbie

Started by Observant1, April 13, 2014, 10:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Observant1

I'm new here. I've struggled with indecisive beliefs all of my life. I was an atheist during my teen years, but that changed when I later lived in two haunted places.

I describe myself as an agnostic: I don't think that it's possible to prove if there is or isn't a God.

I am going to study the Bible this spring, but I just can't wrap my mind around creationism. I'm conflicted.
I'm now an agnostic, but I grew up on the King James version, which I'm eternally grateful for.
- Penelope Lively

I'm watching you!

stromboli

Welcome. You will learn. Wax on, wax off.  :biggrin:

SGOS

Quote from: Observant1 on April 13, 2014, 10:29:42 AM
I'm new here. I've struggled with indecisive beliefs all of my life.
Struggle away with indecisive beliefs if you wish.  But can they be supported by logic or evidence?  If they can't, they might still be true, but probably irrelevant and not worth the time or effort.  Having said that, I know what you are talking about.  I've been there.  Can a god do this?  Can he do that?  Maybe the Christian god is too improbable, but could I think of another kind of god, perhaps yet to be identified, that wouldn't be so absurd.  Maybe just a spirit that permeates the aether and floats like an invisible fog.  He doesn't have to do anything, but just sort of observes or whatever.

The bottom line:  Is there any evidence to support such a thing?  And a question:  Why would I even want to invent such a concept?

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to the forum,

Learning is key here, in a certain crude and rough way... The bright side is, if in your studies and struggles you require opinions and insights from others; you can be damn well sure you'll find some here.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

wolf39us

I'm new here. I've struggled with indecisive beliefs all of my life. I was an atheist during my teen years, but that changed when I later lived in two haunted places.

I describe myself as an agnostic: I don't think that it's possible to prove if there is or isn't a God.

I am going to study the Bible this spring, but I just can't wrap my mind around creationism. I'm conflicted.

welcome to the forums.

Let me help clarify one thing for you.  If you in ANY way do not believe in a God's existence (regardless if you think that one is unprovable either way) then you are an Atheist.  Many of us are Agnostic Atheist -- but in the end... you're still an Atheist :-)

Hydra009

Literally haunted?  Or just terrible places to stay?

Ghosts wouldn't be all that bad even if they did exist.  They don't eat your food, they don't make messes, they're always free to talk, they could give homework help (esp history assignments), etc.  Might be pretty nice once you get on good terms.

_Xenu_

You are right to say that the existence of god cannot be ultimately disproven, but remember the prove a negative fallacy and where the burden of proof lies.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Johan

I was an atheist during my teen years, but that changed when I later lived in two haunted places.

So you were atheist and then you experienced some stuff which your knowledge base could only explain by attributing it to a supernatural cause and then you weren't atheist anymore. When you think about it, that's exactly how the concept of religion first got started way back when.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in your journey.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

doorknob

Welcome

just because there may be ghosts or spirits does not prove there is a god. I've encountered evil entities but I've never seen nor heard any evidence of a god. Actually just the opposite. The evil spirits indicate to me there is no god or at least not a loving god. No loving god would create evil such as that. Evil is not necessary I don't care what any one thinks.

but then again I do have a mental illness that causes me to see and hear things so yeah I can't even rely on my senses.

AllPurposeAtheist

Have you considered Toothfairianism?
FACT: The Tooth Fairy is the only supernatural being to pay cold, hard cash to children in exchange for the loss of teeth
FACT: Dinosaur bones have to come from somewhere, most likely from ground kids teeth.
FACT: The Tooth Fairy offers free pick up and delivery. :eek:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

leo

Welcome ! Religion is bullshit.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Naru

Hey welcome to the forums. I do understand on some things when it comes to haunted homes. Not saying they are real or not but I have seen and heard things that I couldn't explained. It just makes you think.
Anyway enjoy your stay here.

aitm

QuoteI don't think that it's possible to prove if there is or isn't a God.

given the hundred of thousands of god man has prayed too, and given that those who believe in theirs dismiss the others, and given that no particular religion seems to have a unordinary amount of "favored" people, it seems that no god actually does  what he/she/it says it will do, which may lead one to understand that perhaps they are all just made up bullshit, which kinda falls into line with the facts.

Welcome to the forum.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 13, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
given the hundred of thousands of god man has prayed too, and given that those who believe in theirs dismiss the others, and given that no particular religion seems to have a unordinary amount of "favored" people, it seems that no god actually does  what he/she/it says it will do, which may lead one to understand that perhaps they are all just made up bullshit, which kinda falls into line with the facts.

Welcome to the forum.
That's a good case for strong atheism.  With all the data we have to look at, circumstantial that much of it is, most of it seems to point away from the existence of a god.  For the data that does not seem to point toward nonexistence, it just sort of points randomly all over the place at not much of anything, which certainly would not be expected with an interceding all powerful entity pulling strings in our behalf.