News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The naked truth about modesty

Started by PickelledEggs, April 11, 2014, 10:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on April 12, 2014, 05:55:15 AM
Haven't watched it yet (on my phone), but from the descriptions yall have given,  it sounds a lot like how I was raised.
I wasn't raised like that, so this is like having a talk with a Taliban congregation for me.  My notion of modesty is not showing my crack at MTG tournaments.  T-shirts and shorts are fine for everything except job interviews and funerals.  Bare chest is fine in certain circumstances.  I consider "immodesty" to be more about tact than purity.  (wearing clothing unsuitable for the setting rather than inciting lust or offending God)

One thing that was also really weird was all the strange Christianese: "Guilt-feeling", "light to others", "destined for marriage", "come follow me words of the Lord", etc.  WTF.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: aitm on April 11, 2014, 10:23:48 PM
Modesty is just as thought provoking as immodesty...if you want to remove sexual innuendo and overt sexual "impurity" remove clothing. Within six months the sight of tits and va-gi-gi's and swinging little weiners everywhere you turn would pretty much put a stop to overt sexuality.

I didn't watch this video, but I'll chip in my 2 cents. Once I went to a nude beach. The ugliness was overwhelming. I'll have none of that. I appreciate when a woman is well dressed, modesty or not.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 12, 2014, 09:39:32 AM
I didn't watch this video, but I'll chip in my 2 cents. Once I went to a nude beach. The ugliness was overwhelming. I'll have none of that. I appreciate when a woman is well dressed, modesty or not.
Yes, please no enforced nudity. I work in an American grocery store, and it's bad enough that I have to indulge the big fat fucks that walk in. The last thing I want to see is those same big fat fucks naked.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

"You may dress like a Christian but the similarity ends there."

Solitary

I find the video humorous, because they think a girl that is well built, dressed modestly, and beautiful like the pictures of the women they showed aren't sexually attractive. I bet the boys in the picture when they get older want a prostitute to dress in a nun's habit in order to get an erection. This reminds me of a movie called---"Town Without Pity"---where a girl is raped and had it coming because she was dressed in short shorts and a halter top.  :drool: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 12, 2014, 09:28:34 AM
I wasn't raised like that, so this is like having a talk with a Taliban congregation for me.  My notion of modesty is not showing my crack at MTG tournaments.  T-shirts and shorts are fine for everything except job interviews and funerals.  Bare chest is fine in certain circumstances.  I consider "immodesty" to be more about tact than purity.  (wearing clothing unsuitable for the setting rather than inciting lust or offending God)

One thing that was also really weird was all the strange Christianese: "Guilt-feeling", "light to others", "destined for marriage", "come follow me words of the Lord", etc.  WTF.

I think "modesty" is just a nice way of saying "shame" in this case. Women are suppose to be ashamed of being beautiful and sensual and men are supposed to be ashamed of finding women beautiful or sexy.

I got about 35 minutes into the video, and yeah... that was how I was raised to be. Alot of the answers they gave are things I woulda said myself less than 8 years ago.

I haven't seen it here in awhile, but I remember people use to complain about how religion should be borderline child abuse or brainwashing. While I wouldn't go that far, I think this is something that should be seriously considered socially unacceptable. It's something that effects your quality of life and it's not something you can just "turn off" once you stop believing... the social issues this causes are a pain in the ass.

@Solitary; I doubt it, I would wager these guys are Protestant and not Roman Catholic. I'm not sure we even had nuns... so the sexual fetish there has no history to feed off of.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 12, 2014, 09:51:30 AM
Yes, please no enforced nudity. I work in an American grocery store, and it's bad enough that I have to indulge the big fat fucks that walk in. The last thing I want to see is those same big fat fucks naked.

Solitary

Quote from: Shiranu on April 12, 2014, 10:56:16 AM
I think "modesty" is just a nice way of saying "shame" in this case. Women are suppose to be ashamed of being beautiful and sensual and men are supposed to be ashamed of finding women beautiful or sexy.

I got about 35 minutes into the video, and yeah... that was how I was raised to be. Alot of the answers they gave are things I woulda said myself less than 8 years ago.

I haven't seen it here in awhile, but I remember people use to complain about how religion should be borderline child abuse or brainwashing. While I wouldn't go that far, I think this is something that should be seriously considered socially unacceptable. It's something that effects your quality of life and it's not something you can just "turn off" once you stop believing... the social issues this causes are a pain in the ass.

@Solitary; I doubt it, I would wager these guys are Protestant and not Roman Catholic. I'm not sure we even had nuns... so the sexual fetish there has no history to feed off of.
OK! Maybe I should have said a burka? I would say their religion would have nothing to do with it, just that a nun is modestly dressed. Solitary

Solitary

josephpalazzo, damned you for making me sick!  :oak: :butt: Solitary

Shiranu

@solidarity;  maybe... I am only speaking from personal experience that nuns do nOthing for me since they weren't a part of my culture :p.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

stromboli

Yeah, I get all my life advice from clueless white people.

Solitary

Quote from: Shiranu on April 12, 2014, 11:14:38 AM
@solidarity;  maybe... I am only speaking from personal experience that nuns do nOthing for me since they weren't a part of my culture :p.

That's only because you haven seen only old nuns and not the young ones. He! He! Solitary

stromboli

http://whatculture.com/film/bad-habits-10-nunsploitation-films.php

For your viewing pleasure. We here in the heartland call this nunsploitation.  :madu:

stromboli

I mean, what's not to love? Moaning Lesbian sex, exploitation, guilt, comeuppance, whipping, beating, Catholic Christian symbols used for sexual purposes- you name it. Its like the whole Catholic experience in 90 minutes.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on April 12, 2014, 10:56:16 AM
I really don't understand that.  Why should you be ashamed of you?  Seems pretty bizarre.  And it's even stranger considering that these people believe that the creator of the universe gave them the bodies that they must now be ashamed of.  WTF.

QuoteI haven't seen it here in awhile, but I remember people use to complain about how religion should be borderline child abuse or brainwashing. While I wouldn't go that far, I think this is something that should be seriously considered socially unacceptable. It's something that effects your quality of life and it's not something you can just "turn off" once you stop believing... the social issues this causes are a pain in the ass.
Eh, I think a case could be made that this is pretty heavy indoctrination impairing an individual's ability to think independently.  I mean, it's not like these are conclusions that any of these people came up with any of this stuff on their own.  It was forced on them.  They're taught to despise skimpy clothing.  They're taught that "dressing modesty" (covering up everything but the neck and face) is somehow noble.  And they're taught to judge others accordingly.  They even go so far as to say that "dressing modestly" is good because guys are only interested in your body (which isn't necessarily true), guys will leave you as you get old (also not necessarily true), "dressing modestly" is how you get better romantic relationships (also not necessarily true), a "wrapped gift" is the way to go (definitely not true and conjures a lot of saving-it-for-marriage comparisons).  It all seems more and more screwed up the more I look at it.