News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New User - Seasoned & Active Atheist

Started by Ryanshidyak, April 30, 2014, 04:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanshidyak

Hi there! I am an atheist and am looking to explore this community. I have gone through the rules but I am wondering if there is any other information I need to look at.

I have been listening to the Atheist Experience, and Thinking Atheist for years, I also occasionally enjoy the Scathing Atheist. It is a bit harsh on the ears though! I am a skeptic, as well as a humanist. I consider the book "A Manual For Creating Atheists" by Dr. Peter Boghossian to be an important stepping stone in the advancement of atheists who feel that it is their duty to deconvert others, or for those who have a longing to change the world by talking people out of faith, and into rational thought using proven methods. I feel that one of the biggest problems facing the atheist movement, and hence my "niche" is that of deconversion tactics. I feel that all too often (since many of us atheists love attacking religion) we do not take the closest route to deconverting others, and instead take a longer road that makes us feel good, but is not effective.

As I wrote in the paragraph above I feel that my niche in the Atheist Movement is firstly to deconvert using the most effective methods, and to educate other atheists on the best deconverting methods. Doing this means missing out on a lot of fun shots I'd love to take when talking to religious people, and includes following the recommendations set forth in the book as to the most effective deconversion methods. I am also studying Psychology hoping to go on to get a Ph.D or Psy.D and be a Clinical Psychologist. The below list will give you some idea of my views on deconversion.

1. Attacking faith rather than religion.  (In order to not raise defensive walls)

2. Promoting reason and evidence as more reliable epistemologies (ways of coming to knowledge).

3.  Avoiding all behaviors that raise defensive walls. This includes laughing at, or insulting the religion, or person.

4. If the person is logically convinced but is stagnated by fear of hell, trying to talk to them about that fear may help in getting rid of it. This part cannot be addressed by reasoning in my opinion, since it is a visceral emotional response.

5. Seeing anger as a sign that it is working. Whether or not this is true, and I think that it is, I have convinced myself that when the person who is being deconverted gets angry, it is a sign that it is working. This gets me through the day!

6. Never displaying anger, or falling into, or appearing to fall into negative atheist stereotypes.

I do use firebrand methods as well as softer methods depending on the person. I don't feel that it's wrong to employ all manner of techniques to deconvert someone as long as I am always honest, and genuine in what I am saying. I won't lie.

Well I know I didn't say much about myself because I'm not quite sure how strict the rules are about personal information, so I'll wait a little bit. I hope this gave you a sense of where I am coming from and what my goals are as far as my atheism. If you have any comments, I always see those as an opportunity to grow.

~Ryan S

stromboli

Welcome. Nice to know where you are coming from, at least. My take on that is mostly in agreement. At least you have a strong position on it, which is good.

Mr.Obvious

Welcome Ryan. You'll fit in nicely.
Though I'm more into providing information and working away fallacies rather than having 'deconverting' as my primary goal, I like your approach.
Enjoy the forum!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 30, 2014, 10:39:57 AM
Welcome Ryan. You'll fit in nicely.
Though I'm more into providing information and working away fallacies rather than having 'deconverting' as my primary goal, I like your approach.
Enjoy the forum!

Yes, same here.

SGOS

Quote from: Ryanshidyak on April 30, 2014, 04:49:19 AM
I have gone through the rules but I am wondering if there is any other information I need to look at.
We discourage flinging of poo.  In fact it's against the rules.  But when it does happen, we all join in.  I'm not sure why.  It's like we can't control ourselves.  We know it's wrong, but we do it anyway.  I've considered joining a forum where this does not happen, but I'm always drawn back to the poo flinging excitement for reasons I don't understand.  With that, I hope you enjoy the forum.  We welcome new comers.

Berati

Welcome,

I think you might find the following article titled "How to win friends and influence people to atheism" to be of value.
http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.ca/2012/01/how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.html

While I agree with much of what you say I don't think it will work here. You won't get to speak to any of the theists who show up to this site alone and there are others here who are not concerned with converting and so will ridicule any ridiculous statements.
Also, even though I get what Dale Carnegie has said and what you say above, putting it into practice when confronted with extreme ignorance and arrogance is much easier said than done.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

antediluvian

Prosper, reproduce and raise atheist children.
It's the only way.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Hydra009

Quote from: Berati on April 30, 2014, 11:14:27 PMWhile I agree with much of what you say I don't think it will work here. You won't get to speak to any of the theists who show up to this site alone and there are others here who are not concerned with converting and so will ridicule any ridiculous statements.
Guilty!

Solitary

:naughty: I don't like being proselytized to, and wouldn't do it to others. I just make fun of their religious dogma and magical thinking.  :fU: Why should I respect their beliefs anymore than a 6 year old child's when theirs is just as silly?  :new_xmas: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

antediluvian

Quote from: Solitary on May 01, 2014, 11:22:25 AM
:naughty: I don't like being proselytized to, and wouldn't do it to others. I just make fun of their religious dogma and magical thinking.  :fU: Why should I respect their beliefs anymore than a 6 year old child's when theirs is just as silly?  :new_xmas: Solitary

WHAT!!!!  Six year old children's beliefs should always be respected.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.