News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I want to understand Atheism

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

hostility? jesus people, thats talking around a campfire in a mild mannered joking method. Try re-reading it that way.....really it is light hearted and joking and smiling and passing shmores and kool-aid around the campfire whilst looking at your sisters nipples jut out of her tank top....sheeesh, what a bunch of pussies
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

Sorry if I offended you Stromboli, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and when I asked people not to swear, i tried to do it kindly, and I've read your other comments, so Im sorry, why did you stop being a christian? I would like to understand why

aitm

so.......yer saying you do NOT BELIEVE in the OT as the prophesy for jebus being some special god/man eh? really? then tell us where your proof of jebus's special ordination comes from?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

I believe in the Old Testament, however that is the Mosiac Law / Old Law, and because "jeebus" was crucified, we don't have to follow the Old Law

AllPurposeAtheist

You couldn't offend me if you tried. Shit man, I cuss around fucking christians all day. I live at the den of sin, Satans playground, the young mens  CHRISTIAN association better known as the YMCA. SHIT, Praise Jebus! :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 10:15:18 PM
I believe in the Old Testament, however that is the Mosiac Law / Old Law, and because "jeebus" was crucified, we don't have to follow the Old Law

in other..nicer words... you don't follow the OT remember? The OT is metaphorical..remember? And jebus wasn't crucified man, you can't even prove he was real, and crucified? Really? Man he went from stanky goat herder to a fucking god...how the fuck is that a sacrifice? jesus you xians are some fucked up apologists...
"oh, I'm sorry what I really meant was"
"oh, I'm sorry I meant that only part of the book is literal the rest is metaphorical"
"oh, I 'm sorry I don't follow the old testament, I follow the new testament"
"oh, I 'm sorry I mean I do follow the old testament if it helps my arguement "
"oh, I 'm sorry I don't believe in that part of the old testament, that was written by faggots in the 1500's most likely"
"oh, sorry, I meant that when I said that , but  I worded it wrong so I still have my cred man"
"oh, that part is purely metaphorical, we all know that."
"yes when jesus died, the sun went out for several hours, giant rocks split and graves erupted and the dead walked around the town,,,that part is absolutely the truth"

meh....same old bullshittery...

stromboli

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 10:08:55 PM
Sorry if I offended you Stromboli, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and when I asked people not to swear, i tried to do it kindly, and I've read your other comments, so Im sorry, why did you stop being a christian? I would like to understand why

Because its a load of unprovable BS. The primary elements, of the Bible, for example, are all either distorted or outright fiction. The Noah legend was stolen from the Gilgamesh Babylonian myth. The myth in all its elements is a physical and scientific impossibility. Exodus is a complete fabrication; there is no record of the Israelis ever being held in captivity, and no evidence of more than 2 million people traipsing around the desert for 40 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_history
Quote:
However, archaeology reveals a different story of the origins of the Jewish people: they did not necessarily leave the Levant. The archaeological evidence of the largely indigenous origins of Israel in Canaan, not Egypt, is "overwhelming" and leaves "no room for an Exodus from Egypt or a 40-year pilgrimage through the Sinai wilderness", according to Biblical minimalists.[4] Many archaeologists have abandoned the archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit"

Jesus, who has been often referred to as the most significant person in history, somehow didn't manage to get noticed by historians of his time.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/silence_screams_no_contemporary_historical_accounts_quotjesus

http://rosarubicondior.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-historical-evidence-for-jesus.html

Oh yeah, and meet Rosa. she is one sharp chick.

The Bible does not qualify as accurate history. It is a compilation of myths, fables, allegory (Garden of Eden) and thousands of contradictory teachings.

Guess what? These 3 things alone represent major aspects of Christian belief.

In the end, religion is about four things: fear, guilt, condemnation and judgment. Fear of going to hell, guilt of natural behavior like sexual feelings and actions, condemnation by churches, members and church leaders of those actions, and judgment for them. It is also supremely hypocritical. "Judge not lest ye be judged" unless you're black, gay, Jewish, Muslim or whatever, choose one.

That is why i am no longer a Christian.

Contemporary Protestant

Good Points, I was familiar with the Epic of Gilgamesh, and the lack of evidence of Exodus. Did you know that Native Americans and Hindus believe in a great flood too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos

This is what I found out about the whole Exodus thing, I'm still researching

I haven't heard that there were no records for Jesus, thats interesting! I'll be sure to look it up sometime

-forgot this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipuwer_Papyrus

aitm

QuoteDid you know that Native Americans and Hindus believe in a great flood too?

Yes. Yes we do. That is what we are trying to tell you. In my nice way of course. Almost everyone here has started the same road you are on. We have all had questions, and some of use stuck to dogma so rigidly that we refused to back down even when we were proven wrong....because that would just be too damn embarrassing. Embarrassing.....embarrassing....that might have a lot more impact than just being wrong.

Most of us didn't go off willy nilly.....we all studied and listened and watched and wondered. Why. Why does a grand creator of a 14 billion light year universe with all of THAT, give a shit about a womans period? Or eating shrimp? Or...for fuck sakes, why is a child sellable by her father? what kind of fucked up is that? Why does an all knowing all powerful god kill millions when he could just as well started with Noah? And then, can't beat a fucking hman army because they have iron wheels? What? I mean WHAT? Eh? How the fuck hard is that? What the fuck is up with cutting the skin off your dick? Jesus man, this is crazier shit than the stories of Romulus and Remus.....hey,, you don't suppose?

C'mon kid. wake up. This is the craziest mother fucking shit ever....just look at it like we do. Woah! That crazy shit there man.

Atheon

I dont believe on a soul or an afterlife because i haven't seen any evidence of a mechanism that allows such a thing to happen. But i know that there are only two states of awareness: aware and not aware. Non-awareness cant be experienced, and the age of the universe passes by instantaneously. So maybe after we die, subjective awareness or I-ness is regenerated in some form that is not connected to who or what you are now. I have no idea. Just some philosophical masturbation

Posted via Tapatalk on tiny smartphone keyboard. Expect typos.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

The Skeletal Atheist

You seem pretty respectable.

As per the flood thing: flood myths are common because flood are a common natural occurrence in areas of the world. Early civilisations built themselves around water because they had too, and subsequently they experienced flooding. Combine that with a need to explain things, but lacking the science we have today, and you get flood myths. It was simply easier for people back then to say "the flood happened because we angered the gods/God" rather than " I don't know why the flood happened".
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Right, the Ipuwer Papyrus is disputed. Considering the fact that Egyptian population of that period was about 10 million (looking for the link) And there are no written stele of a massive loss of 2 million or that Jews were held captive, I'll stick with what I said.

I am well aware of the flood myths. A flood is a catastrophic event and would certainly be noted by keepers of histories. But a worldwide flood on the scale of Noah is physically impossible. There has been contemporary studies done that show floods in the area of the Black Sea, for example, by Robert Ballard of NOAA:

"Water from the melting glaciers began to rush toward the world’s oceans, Ballard said, causing floods all around the world. “The questions is, was there a mother of all floods,” Ballard said. According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path. "

There are flood legends for any number of reasons, including the melting of Ice Age glaciers
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/megafloods-of-the-ice-age.html

well into the time of human population. doesn't prove Noah.

Contemporary Protestant

My friend has a theory that Noah was a metaphor for the end of the Ice Age, please take note that Genesis is a poem not a historical document, Its cool to see someone who has been doing similar research, please send me anything interesting :)

btw are you familiar with mitochondrial eve and y-chromosome adam?

Poison Tree

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 09:35:11 PM
The Story of Jesus' resurrection is the only faith story that passes the Bechtel Test
Assuming you are referring to the Bechdel test A)no it doesn't B)even if it did, so what?
Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 10:15:18 PM
Quote from: Matthew 5:17-20
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven
Silly Jesus! Good thing your here to set him straight, eh?

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 11:14:09 PM
btw are you familiar with mitochondrial eve and y-chromosome adam?
Yep, they throw one hell of a party.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

stromboli

We get theists on here regularly who want to understand atheism. The problem going in is that theists have a religion-based mindset; i.e. you have to belong to something. And very often they challenge us with "prove it". Atheism is essentially a negative connotation- we don't believe in god. theists invariable substitute, OK, you believe in Satan (No, Satan is a myth also)

Science (when it is proven and serves as evidence)

any weird semi religious wankery, insert here......
We'll claim to worship the flying Spaghetti monster, tooth fairy, etc. because they are equally as provable as any other god.

Another way to look at it; there are thousands of gods worshipped both historically and presently, all different. You are a Christian. You believe in one. We believe in none. Therefore, you are 1 god away from being an atheist.

Atheism is actually a default position. Religion is taught. If you are born in a culture that teaches no religion, then by default you would be an atheist.