News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I want to understand Atheism

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 07, 2014, 07:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GSOgymrat

As far as afterlife, I can't say with any certainty there is nothing. I have no idea how I ended up here, becoming conscious of a physical universe, so I don't know if there is anything else beyond this. It is possible that if time and space are infinite that all the physical conditions that created my existence will eventually happen again and, like this time, I won't have any previous knowledge. I can honestly say I don't want to die. I love this existence and I don't want it to end, not to mention that every death I have witnessed in real life the people have suffered terribly. When people talk about an afterlife with any certainty it all just sounds to my ears like wishful thinking.

Mermaid

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 08:04:07 PM
Thank you for your response, and i wanted to refrain from saying sin but i have to describe it. I hold the belief that even having immoral thoughts is wrong, and that I must train myself not to think mean thoughts about anyone. I hold this belief  because I want to have a pure soul. Since what I understand to be a soul isn't the same as an atheist's,  Do you think it is wrong to even have the desire to do harm? Does that make any sense?

It makes sense, sure. I don't think it's wrong to have the desire to do harm. I think it's human to have what you are calling "immoral thoughts". I think it's probably wrong to actually act on those thoughts, but it depends on what you think is immoral or harmful. Are we talking about abusing a child or are we talking about something like acting on homosexual thoughts?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

The only afterlife I believe in is the conservation of matter. The molecules in my body are likely to eventually become parts of another being after I die. (or whenever I get a haircut or bite my nails). :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Contemporary Protestant

Mermaid: I am not referring to homosexuality when I say "immoral thoughts", I am referring to any sorta maliciousness, such as wanting to smack someone or wishing for something bad to happen, we've all done it "I wish (x) would die", to me thats wrong, and I have worked hard to train myself not to think that way about other people. Interesting point about conservation of matter

GSOgymrat: So you believe in other dimensions? like quantum theory? please elaborate

Johan: Yes I do feel guilt, whenever I think about doing something manipulative or mean, I try my best to improve who I am internally

the anti theist: Yes I do in fact want to understand your world view, i define God/ a god or YHWH as anything that is your number one priority, for example some people's god is money but my god is YHWH, the trinity, and I try to make my relationship with God and his creation my number one priority

Johan

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 08:52:53 PM

Johan: Yes I do feel guilt, whenever I think about doing something manipulative or mean, I try my best to improve who I am internally

There is nothing wrong with tying to improve oneself. But I can't see the wisdom in making yourself feel guilty over thoughts. Seems much healthier and productive to me to allow yourself to think whatever it is you think and then decide rationally which thoughts to act on and which to let go of. Then again, there are lots of things theists do that I've never really understood. Shrug.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Contemporary Protestant

Maybe guilt is a poor word, because although I do feel bad about it, it doesn't keep me from my life, and I don't lose much sleep over it. Perhaps I feel (convinced or convicted) to improve the way I think about my fellow human being.

Let me just say, that y'all are the nicest atheists I've encountered. I have been called stupid, bat shit, and a lot of other things, but this forum seems a bit friendlier

Shol'va

Rudeness oftentimes happens because for many of us it's been a long long time since we've heard a good argument, or a new one for that matter, so to us it feels like our patience is taxed every single time someone new decides to pop up :)
You've been treated nicely because you sound like what I would call a cool, reasonable Christian.

aitm

How can you intelligently and rationally read your texts and not think this is as absurd as reading a Grimms fairy tale? Or mythological stories from Greece or Rome? What makes your crazy ass stories better? And one more, if you were born Hindu, why would you accept another line of bull-shit that was just as fucked up crazy assed as your own?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Contemporary Protestant

Please don't swear, and the reason I believe what I believe is because I have faith that it is true. I have really studied other religions with the intent of true understanding, and Christianity fits my spiritual needs best.

However if you're looking for a fact..

The Story of Jesus' resurrection is the only faith story that passes the Bechtel Test

Jesus revealed himself to women first, and back then that would have been mind boggling, even in literature today, a woman having a prominent, respected role is unheard of. The women in Jesus' life are a reason I think its true.

Before you quote rape in the Old Testament, remember its the Old Testament, I don't live by those books, I live by the New Testament

Gawdzilla Sama

You're going to have problems if you keep calling for us to censor ourselves to meet your mores.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Contemporary Protestant

aitm

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 07, 2014, 09:35:11 PM
Please don't swear,
grow up

Quoteand the reason I believe what I believe is because I have faith that it is true
bullshit, you believe it because your parents told you to when you were a child and you were brainwashed. Thats not embarrassing, most of us went through it, we just grew up.

QuoteI have really studied other religions with the intent of true understanding, and Christianity fits my spiritual needs best.
and thats what my mommy told me to believe.

QuoteHowever if you're looking for a fact..
That would be nice

QuoteThe Story of Jesus' resurrection is the only faith story that passes the Bechtel Test
bullshit, you can't even prove jesus was real

QuoteBefore you quote rape in the Old Testament, remember its the Old Testament, I don't live by those books, I live by the New Testament

Interesting, then by what reason do you believe jebus was the true savior? Do you denounce the OT bullshittery of prophesy?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shol'va

Well that escalated quick :lol:

I understand the tone and don't condemn it specifically, but personally I remember when I used to be a believer and can't help but think that being met with hostility, I'd likely just turn away.

stromboli

Please don't swear? You gonna like smack my hand with a ruler. Last person that did that was my sixth grade teacher. I punched him in the face.