News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Liquid water on Enceladus

Started by PopeyesPappy, April 04, 2014, 10:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Add another moon to the list of objects in solar system that could have liquid water.

QuoteAn ocean at least as large as Lake Superior lies below a thick layer of ice on a moon of Saturn, new data from NASA's Cassini spacecraft suggests.

The results, published in the journal Science, support earlier signs that this small moon has liquid water. That means Saturn's sixth-largest moon could have been -- or could now be -- hospitable to life.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/03/tech/innovation/moon-saturn-ocean/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

It seems to me that one of the new Cosmos episodes mentioned this.  It's amazing stuff.  I don't know about Saturn's moons, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts, there's lots of life in the universe.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on April 04, 2014, 10:33:45 AM
I don't know about Saturn's moons, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts, there's lots of life in the universe.

The more we learn the more likely this seems to be. To me at least. Sure would be nice if we could find some solid evidence of life somewhere other than Earth before my time on our little rock passes.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

With some 12 billion near Earth sized planets in the Universe it would be very odd if a few of them didn't have life.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers