Christian School Expels 8 yr Old Girl- Looks Too Much Like A Boy

Started by stromboli, March 29, 2014, 10:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/28/1288037/-Virginia-Christian-school-forces-eight-year-old-girl-to-leave-because-she-looks-too-much-like-a-boy?detail=email

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but a Christian school in Virginia is in the spotlight after all but forcing an eight-year-old student to leave because she looks like a boy.  Eight-year-old Sunnie Kahle has had her hair cut short since she was five years old, and makes no secret she's a tomboy.  Well, Sunnie's appearance didn't sit too well with administrators at Timberlake Christian School in Forest, near Lynchburg.  Last month, her grandparents pulled her out of school after she was told her appearance didn't line up with "biblical standards."

It implies that Sunnie is being "counseled" about her gender identity.  Thompson was gobsmacked.  She said that Sunnie is way too young to understand things like sexual orientation, and suspects the real reason is that she wanted to wear boys' pants with her school uniform.  In a reply of her own, Doris tore TCS a new one, pointing out that Sunnie is actually being counseled for mood swings.  Soon afterward, she pulled Sunnie out of TCS and enrolled her in public school.
TCS' response is par for the course in an area of the country where a woman or girl with short hair is automatically suspected of being a lesbian.  Also, according to the school's Website, it is an outreach of Timberlake Baptist Church, an independent Baptist church in Lynchburg.

Yesterday, after several days of being kicked up, down and sideways over this, TCS went up the highway and asked Liberty Counsel to help defend it.  In a response released through Liberty Counsel, TCS claimed that it never called Sunnie sexually immoral, and that the real locus of the dispute is that Sunnie reportedly wanted to use the boys' bathroom.  Sorry, but TCS is lying.  What conclusion are you supposed to draw from this paragraph in the letter that Thompson got from the school?

"You’re probably aware that Timberlake Christian Schools is a religious, Bible-believing Institution providing education in a distinctly Christian environment, and we believe that our biblical role is to work in conjunction with the home to mold students to be Christlike, On those occasions in which the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home is counter to or in opposition to the biblical lifestyle that the school teaches, the school reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse admission of an applicant or to discontinue enrollment of a student. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, living in, condoning or supporting sexual immorality; practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity; promoting such practices; or otherwise having the inability to support the moral principles of the school. We base this standard on Bible principles as found in Leviticus 20:13a; Romans 1:21-27; Matthew 19:4-6; and I Corinthians 6:9-20."

Holy shit, Sherlock! How fucked up is this country getting? Now girls can't be tomboys but have to dress, act and appear as little girls by biblical standards. Well, it's a christian school. I guess they can do what they want.

AllPurposeAtheist

Damned..my sister and daughters all had short hair. Even though they all have children of their own it's pretty obvious that they're all lesbians living with men just for cover from gods wrath.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

StupidWiz

Too girlie, and you're beaten to death, too boyish and you're expelled. Religion and bigotry are still running rampant, resisting the ongoing progressive change really hard.  :pray:

Well, at least the girl is gonna be free from Christian indoctrination from a Christian school, right?
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

josephpalazzo

I'm sure if you look hard enough there's a verse in the bible that explicitly says that a girl acting like a tomboy is immoral.  You just have to look hard enough... :wall:

AllPurposeAtheist

If only little girls could be ripped directly from their good Christian father's rib cages. They could avoid that sinful filthy fucking process entirely!

Poison Tree

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 30, 2014, 01:13:42 AM
I'm sure if you look hard enough there's a verse in the bible that explicitly says that a girl acting like a tomboy is immoral.  You just have to look hard enough... :wall:
1 Corinthians 11 says that women need to have long hair (and men short)--and says that women need to have their head covered when they pray "because of the angels", what ever the fuck that means--and I think there is another new testament part about them not using men's clothing. My christian high school never enforced that women needed long hair, but they did require the boys not to have long hair.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Poison Tree on March 30, 2014, 01:44:59 AM
1 Corinthians 11 says that women need to have long hair (and men short)--and says that women need to have their head covered when they pray "because of the angels", what ever the fuck that means--and I think there is another new testament part about them not using men's clothing. My christian high school never enforced that women needed long hair, but they did require the boys not to have long hair.

What about when women bleed, don't the men have to run for cover, or something to that effect?

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh yeah,  when they bleed don't look at them or you'll turn into a zombie pillar of salt.

Jason78

If Timberlake Christian Schools had really wanted to follow Leviticus, why didn't they get the girl stoned, or sell her to a slave trader?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

stromboli

Quote from: Poison Tree on March 30, 2014, 01:44:59 AM

Paul wrote 1 Corinthians. Paul was a Roman. Regardless of his statement, Jewish men were prone to beards and long hair. Christ in any form is never depicted with short hair. But short hair on women was a disgrace. Cutting or shaving the hair of a woman was a form of punishment.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ApostateLois

This is so crazy! When I went to church, there was always talk of women "not dressing like men" (whatever that meant), or dressing "as befits a Christian woman" (whatever that means) and other such blahblahblah, but many women had short hair and nobody called them out on it. Lots of girls are tomboys--although I really hate that word. It implies that there is something abnormal about a girl who likes doing some of the things boys do, such as climbing trees, playing with Matchbox cars, etc. But boys are similarly labeled as "sissies" if they like doing girly things, like playing dress-up. I hate all this derogatory labeling of children who should be allowed to dress and play in ways that make them comfortable.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Shiranu

Women to religion:

Look too "womanly": You deserved to be harassed or raped because you were too attractive and didn't cover yourself.
Look too "manly": You deserved to be harassed because you aren't womanly. Why don't you want to look womanly, it's what we expect of you and you will be much better off.

The moral of the story; if you are a woman you lose at life, period. The Bible/Quran/Torah says so, and those guys in the desert sure knew a thing or two about how to treat women.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

RobbyPants

This is crazy for so many reasons (lolreligion), but even still, they're getting way too worried about the behavior of a very young girl. They're putting very adult concepts of gender roles on her which are utterly meaningless at this point. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things my five-year-old girl is interested in:

• Barbies
  • Dinosaurs
  • Disney princesses
  • Zombies
  • Fantasy weddings
  • Pirates
  • Tea parties
  • Castlevania
  • Arts and crafts
  • Rather violently horsing around
  • Jake and the Neverland Pirates
  • My Little Pony
  • Scooby Doo
Trying to apply any type of gender or sexual-orientation rubric to that is just insane.