News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why the Fundies Hate "Cosmos" So Much

Started by stromboli, March 27, 2014, 01:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 01:05:51 PM
It is amazing how deep people get into their beliefs. I worked with a guy that had a very good job who, at the behest of the Mormon church, gave it all up to run a cannery- just because the bishop requested it. He ended up selling his very nice home and living in relative poverty, the last I saw of him. I am pretty sure the bishop did it just to fuck with him. I've seen women put up with incredible abuse and belittlement because their priesthood bearing husbands had the gawd given authority to do so. So much shit in the name of religion.
And people still send their children into the grip of a priest without blinking.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

RobbyPants

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 27, 2014, 01:37:34 PM
The truth is probably closer to just plain jealousy that they know that they're really dumb so they put on the front of saying dumb shit, but in reality they know scientific advancement is real. This is a game to attempt to force everyone else to be as dumb, but it's not working.

I think it's a bit more nuanced. They see science as stuff like cars, satellites, nuclear energy, and other things that don't violate their YEC world-view. As soon as you bust out radiometric dating, retroviral DNA insertions, and the fossil record, they flip the table making accusations of a liberal atheist conspiracy to kill God. They don't see the latter things as science; they see them as lies.

Now, of course, their view point is demonstrably crazy, but cognitive dissonance does weird things to people.

St Giordano Bruno

Quote from: stromboli on March 27, 2014, 01:17:51 PM
http://www.salon.com/2014/03/27/cosmic_terror_why_neil_degrasse_tyson_has_religious_fundamentalists_so_freaked_partner/

The first episode of the new Cosmos graphically illustrates this with the story of Giordano Bruno, a 16th-century monk who argued that the sun was a star like all the rest, and that every star had its own planets and its own living beings. Bruno wasn’t a scientist, as the show makes clear: his cosmological views flowed from his mystical, pantheist theology, not from evidence. But that made no difference to the Inquisition, which imprisoned and tortured Bruno, and when he refused to recant, burned him at the stake. His statue still stands in the Campo dei Fiori where he was executed, facing the Vatican as if accusing those who murdered him.

In my protest of those dodgy canonizations by the Church with those ridiculous “two proven miracles” nonsense, I decided to declare good old Giordano Bruno a "saint" myself, even though I do not agree with many of his theories he is a more worthy "saint" IMHO that any of those granted the title of "saint" by the Church, not of course a saint for those preposterous "two proven miracles criteria" but for being an ultimate victim or "martyr" for free thought and having the courage to confront  the religious persecution of the Catholic Church and as a result his execution.  The Church is even pushing John Paul II to that dubious title of sainthood in spite of his history protecting and enabling paedophile priests so they can go on pursuing their serial crimes. 
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

SGOS

LOL.  I assumed that Saint Bruno was a real saint, and you just copped the nickname for some silly reason.  Then that episode showed up on Cosmos, and I started wondering why they both burned him at the state, and still made him a saint.  Ahhh, but now it becomes clear.

stromboli

Hey, I am a fan of Giordano because he had the guts to get all up in the face of Catholics and say his shit, knowing full well the potential outcome. He may not have been a big guy, but he had a Herculean set of balls. He deserves any accolades he gets, period.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: RobbyPants on April 01, 2014, 09:56:26 PM
I think it's a bit more nuanced. They see science as stuff like cars, satellites, nuclear energy, and other things that don't violate their YEC world-view. As soon as you bust out radiometric dating, retroviral DNA insertions, and the fossil record, they flip the table making accusations of a liberal atheist conspiracy to kill God. They don't see the latter things as science; they see them as lies.

Now, of course, their view point is demonstrably crazy, but cognitive dissonance does weird things to people.
They don't challenge satellites because they want to watch the game on their 82" TVs. Evolution is safe because it won't stop the air conditioner. I have relatives who had radiation therapy for cancer and gave a big donation to their church when it worked, to thank God for saving their lives.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

St Giordano Bruno

One reason is because the science of it is so way above their heads it makes them feel stupid and the cosmos is such an unimaginably large scale it makes them feel small and unimportant and more so makes their god look too small. 
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 02, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
They don't challenge satellites because they want to watch the game on their 82" TVs. Evolution is safe because it won't stop the air conditioner.
This line of reasoning would make sense if this wasn't the same crowd that also tries to stifle sex ed and contraception, with disastrous results.  And I'm not entirely clear on whether or not evolution is a "safe" thing to attack.  Not teaching it is akin to not teaching biology.  And screwing over science education effectively screws over future scientists, which harms the country.

RobbyPants

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 02, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
They don't challenge satellites because they want to watch the game on their 82" TVs. Evolution is safe because it won't stop the air conditioner. I have relatives who had radiation therapy for cancer and gave a big donation to their church when it worked, to thank God for saving their lives.

I'd agree with this reasoning, except the more likely someone is to not believe in evolution, the less likely they are to except climate change. I suppose this might still work with what you're saying in that the negative outcomes aren't immediate.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 02, 2014, 11:01:56 PM
This line of reasoning would make sense if this wasn't the same crowd that also tries to stifle sex ed and contraception, with disastrous results.  And I'm not entirely clear on whether or not evolution is a "safe" thing to attack.  Not teaching it is akin to not teaching biology.  And screwing over science education effectively screws over future scientists, which harms the country.
That's just repression. "I can't do it, so you can't do it. I can do it, so you can't do it. I would love to do it but I'm afraid, so you can't do it."
PZ Myers

Feral Atheist

Quote from: Solitary on March 27, 2014, 01:21:06 PM
Actually, they just hate the truth and facts. Solitary
That is about as straight forward as it gets to describe fundies.  The willful ignorance with them is strong.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Atheon

In the latest episode of Cosmos, Tyson mentions global climate change. Right-wing heads are sure to explode again!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca