People Going Nuts Over "Noah".....Before its Release?

Started by stromboli, March 27, 2014, 11:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/03/noah-film-darren-aronofsky-russell-crowe-controversies-bans-fox-news

The new Darren Aronofsky movie Noah is pissing off quite a lot of people. The outrage over the filmâ€"which retells that famous biblical tale of Noah, his ark, and God's wrathful floodâ€"is international and diverse in its stupidity. And it goes without saying that the majority of the people saying mean things about the film haven't yet seen it (Noah hits theaters on Friday, and stars Russell Crowe and Emma Watson). "It's always kind of silly that somebody puts their voice and opinion to something when they haven't seen it, based on an assumption," Crowe said in an interview with Access Hollywood. (Crowe has been trying to get Pope Francis to endorse Noah. That won't be happening.)

Aronofsky has dubbed his $160-million epic the "least biblical biblical film ever made." (Word on the street is that it promotes some pretty "aggressive environmentalism.") Here are some lowlights in the ongoing permutations of Noah hate:

2. Glenn Beck hates Noah because why wouldn't he?

Beck (of course) lashed out at the movie: "If you're looking for a biblical movie, this definitely is not it," the right-wing commentator declared, having screened the film with Paramount executives. "I don't think it's an environmental thing as much as it's just so pro-animal and anti-human, and I mean strongly anti-human."

In one of Noah's less favorable reviews, Beck opined that there is "no redeeming value" to it.

3. Christians on Fox News are upset that the word "god" isn't uttered in the film.

"That's like writing an American history book without mentioning George Washington," says the Fox News host. However, the word "creator" (which means, you know, god) is used many times in the picture, thus invalidating the Fox segment's point, and yet they carry on:

4. A religious group tried to smear Noah with a dubious survey.

Faith Driven Consumer (a Christian group that also started a petition to support Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson following his homosexuality and Jim Crow-related comments), posted a survey that found 98 percent of over 5,000 religious respondents were unhappy with Noah and other biblical Hollywood films. The message was that Christians wouldn't buy tickets to see this movie because of secular Hollywood. The survey was picked up by Variety and got a lot of play, which prompted Paramount to release their internal research and dispute the soundness of the polling.

So, Faith Driven Consumer didn't enjoy the filmâ€"but at least the Pope doesn't seem to have a problem with it or its star.

Lol. Might have to see this movie after all. Emma Watson in period garb can't be all bad.

Plu

Quote"I don't think it's an environmental thing as much as it's just so pro-animal and anti-human, and I mean strongly anti-human."

Geeh, I wonder how it could possibly be that a story that revolves around "People suck so much I'm going to wipe out all but 8 of them" could possibly turn out to be 'strongly anti-human'.

stromboli

Quote from: Plu on March 27, 2014, 12:10:00 PM
Geeh, I wonder how it could possibly be that a story that revolves around "People suck so much I'm going to wipe out all but 8 of them" could possibly turn out to be 'strongly anti-human'.

:biggrin:

SGOS

I was just driving home and listening to some right wing station (I'll do that when NPR is out of reach).  Apparently, Crowe said during an interview this week that the notion of people criticizing the movie without having seen it is just "stupid."  Of course, it was spun as Crowe calling his audience stupid.  Well, that's is indirectly true, I guess, but it's also a pretty accurate observation about people and the situation at the same time.  The host was horrified at Crowe's rude behavior and said he ought to "just shut up," and that if he knew any better he wouldn't say things that would intentionally turn away his audience (all this publicity is bound to help.  Now, I am even considering going to see the movie, and all those Christians not wanting to pass up a chance to take umbrage over something will probably go too).

I enjoy right wing radio from time to time.  Like radio evangelists, the hosts have even adopted their own style of delivery.  They all seem to intentionally stumble with an affected loss of words.  It kind of gives an impression that while they are in control on the air, they are never the less at a loss for words to express how befuddled they are over the stupidity of the left.  It's a real hoot sometimes.

Solitary

People upset about a man building a boat and collecting all the animals for a flood their savior caused? Shouldn't they be upset about a savoir that killed mankind because he was pissed off? When are the average adults in this world finally getting past 6 years old with evolution that they don't believe in? Maybe that is why they don't believe in evolution, but in the greatest lies ever told. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Just wait until they make a movie about the signing of the Decloration of Independence and Thomas Jefferson isn't mentioned even once. Boy, the right wing will be pissed off to learn a guy named Elroy Krebs wrote it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Naru

To me its a movie on a story that was told too long ago. I feel its looking to have the same feeling 2012 was

SGOS

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 27, 2014, 03:07:49 PM

Aside from the woodpecker holes, that's how the ark has always been portrayed.  The coming attractions of Noah showed what looked like a large wooden rectangular cargo container.  Another historical inaccuracy, I suppose.

Solomon Zorn

I remember, back in the early 70's, when I was in second grade public elementary school, they taught us the song, "Who Built the Ark?"

I'm glad they don't get away with that so much any more.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

AllPurposeAtheist

Everyone knows that the ark evolved from dinosaurs.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 27, 2014, 03:11:45 PM
Aside from the woodpecker holes, that's how the ark has always been portrayed.  The coming attractions of Noah showed what looked like a large wooden rectangular cargo container.  Another historical inaccuracy, I suppose.
The dimensions given in the Babble are rectangular.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Another inaccuracy, it shoulda been named Noahs Barge.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 27, 2014, 03:59:55 PM
Another inaccuracy, it shoulda been named Noahs Barge.

Well if you're shooting for accuracy in this movie, you might as well name it "This Didn't Even Happen. Seriously Folks, Most of You Are Past Your 30s and Still Believe in Fairy Tales? Grow Up"

That's what I would have named it, but that's just me.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 27, 2014, 03:57:29 PM
The dimensions given in the Babble are rectangular.
When marine architects give dimensions of a boat, they specify length and beam, which makes it sound rectangular.  God, being the master architect, certainly didn't want Noah to build a box.  He was just making sure Noah made it big enough to carry all the animals, and Noah certainly must have seen pictures of the ark.  We all see them in Sunday school, coloring books, and even in religious artwork for adults.  Any marine architect worth his salt would surely know what an ark looks like.  They have a bow on both ends, with a cute little cabin on top.  God said unto Noah, "Build an ark, not a box.  And put some hatches on top so the giraffes can look around at the scenery."