News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

thinking of getting a telescope

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 31, 2014, 11:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Something under 100 clams.. any suggestions? celestial stuff, stuff here on planet x, etc..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Poison Tree

A good pair binoculars--like pants, can you buy just one?--, while hard to hold steady without a mount/tripod, will actually do a surprisingly good job for (simple) astronomy and are easier (or at least less odd looking) when used for terrestrial stuff.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Poison Tree on April 01, 2014, 12:46:01 AM
A good pair binoculars--like pants, can you buy just one?--, while hard to hold steady without a mount/tripod, will actually do a surprisingly good job for (simple) astronomy and are easier (or at least less odd looking) when used for terrestrial stuff.
meh..my hands are notoriously unsteady..nerve damage.  I have to use two hands to make coffee.

NeoLogic26

Unfortunately, you won't find much for under a hundred bucks that isn't much more than a toy. Refracting telescopes are generally cheaper, but the sizes you find for under a hundred bucks would limit what you can do. Meade makes a starter level scope that has a 70mm diameter lens for 70 bucks. It's good for planet viewing like Saturn and Jupiter and moon gazing.

http://store.meade.com/70az-ar-altazimuth-refractor-telescope.html
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

stromboli

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-20218-Altazimuth-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B001WMC9K4/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1396332222&sr=1-9&keywords=telescope+astronomy

highest rated under $100 on Amazon.

Wow. That's a twofer. This is the one, then.

And remember; horizontal outside college coed dorms is a bad idea.  :naughty:

AllPurposeAtheist

Hmm..it gives me a lot to think about for sure. I have to look at my limited space here. My room is literally the width of the windows plus a cut out area to the right for my desk and dresser.
It's actually smaller than most jail cells minus the stainless steel toilet/sink combos inmates get. I thought of a laptop, but no room for one.

Bibliofagus

Get a second hand one. I got me a Meade self pointing mirror thing for 150 euro's or something.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

AllPurposeAtheist

I spent some time on eBay last night and some of the new scopes cost about the same as used after you look at shipping costs. I don't have a problem with used, but new is usually covered by warranty and easier to return than used. :think: If it's a difference of $10 or so new has to win.