IDIC - The Philosophy of Star Trek

Started by Solomon Zorn, December 24, 2013, 09:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

This has been in my mind a lot recently. I think it's an interesting way of looking at things. I have taken it and expanded a little bit on the original concept. I apologize for the poem-style stanzas, but I have been writing a lot of poetry lately, and the format helps me organize my thoughts.

IDIC
Solomon Zorn

Diversity is beauty
A premise celebrated
By Gene Roddenberry
And the many writers of Star Trek

The Bridge of the
Starship Enterprise
Was racially diverse
And so was the galaxy

The Vulcan culture of logic
Produced a philosophy
Of valuing our differences
As well as our similarities

Infinite
Diversity in
Infinite
Combinations

A realistic view
Of  human interaction
In a world
Of diverse interests

Concord as well as
Discord
Requires the presence of
Difference

When differences are concordant
Cooperation results
When differences are discordant
Competition results

We are strengthened by
Those who challenge us
As well as those who
Assist us in life

IDIC is not a philosophy of
Black and white
But of a spectrum
A range between extremes

Human interaction
Is as diverse
As the many people
Who populate our world

Progress as a society
Requires many different voices
Coming together in harmony
For mutual uplifting

Life abhors homogenization
All functional complexity
Results from cooperating diversity
The union of the unlike can produce synergy
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solitary

That was one of the things that made Star Trek,so wonderful, the hope for a better future through science and the acceptance of humanoids and races that were different with no bigotry. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solomon Zorn

Well, seeing how this thread isn't getting much attention, I thought it might get some life by renaming it.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that IDIC is a great influence on my personal philosophy.

I am the true life-long Trekkie, having watched the original series, when it first aired, with my dad. He taught me all about the vastness of space, and even explained to me (using the example of a light on a train) that the speed of light is a constant. That was when I was VERY young.

I was out at the roadside, at age two, “helping” my dad install a new mailbox, when a five-year-old child came following the mail-truck down the street (it was 1968). He was the son of an African-American doctor who lived a few houses away. He and I were good friends from that day until he moved away at age 18. He was a Trekkie too.

So the acceptance of racial diversity has been part of my world-view from a VERY young age.

I've only recently started to appreciate ideological diversity as well. I attribute that to the hundreds of hours of star Trek.  :borg:

Solomon Zorn

Just another thing i want to add: If I could redefine the thing a little, I would replace the word INFINITE, with INEXHAUSTIBLE. Simply because infinity isn't so much a practical concept, and doesn't seem appropriate to the Vulcan mindset.

stromboli

Never got into Star Trek philosophically because I'm not a "joiner" in things societal. I have a stand offish personality. Roddenberry certainly had an open mind and there was a (then) controversial approach to not only anti racism but also acceptance of cultural diversity. In the long run, I think Star Trek has done a great deal to influence how we see these things today.

SGOS

I'm waiting for the next Gene Roddenberry.  Perhaps a would be philosopher, one that can integrate with man and society, rather than try to rise above it, one skilled in a medium of the common man and use it to accomplish something positive.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: SGOS on March 18, 2014, 11:47:31 AM
I'm waiting for the next Gene Roddenberry.  Perhaps a would be philosopher, one that can integrate with man and society, rather than try to rise above it, one skilled in a medium of the common man and use it to accomplish something positive.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rise above it," unless you mean in space? It's entertainment first and foremost. But underlying a lot of the stories is this IDIC or some similar philosophy.

Here's an interesting quote from Wikipedia:
QuoteRoddenberry was raised as a Southern Baptist, but considered himself a humanist and agnostic. According to Ronald D. Moore, Roddenberry "felt very strongly that contemporary Earth religions would be gone by the 23rd century."

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 25, 2014, 07:50:13 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "rise above it,"
I wrote that over a week ago.  Now that I read it again, I actually don't know what I was meaning to say.  LOL

stromboli

I just want a Phaser. Don't even need the stun setting.

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 25, 2014, 07:50:13 PM

Here's an interesting quote from Wikipedia:  Roddenberry was raised as a Southern Baptist, but considered himself a humanist and agnostic. According to Ronald D. Moore, Roddenberry "felt very strongly that contemporary Earth religions would be gone by the 23rd century."
That's kind of interesting.  He (or the writers, not sure which) created several plot lines about gods, and they were some of my favorite episodes.  Some of them seem like they may have been influenced by his Baptist roots. 

Remember the petulant child god, that just wanted to dick around with humans.  His parent's finally show up and make him stop, and they apologize to Kirk for their son's behavior.  Then <poof>  They just disappear with their whining child in tow.

Some of the gods were so far advanced, they took but a passing interest in humanity.  They even encountered the likes of Thor and Zeus in one episode.  But they turned out to be gods that were dependent on an outside source of power, if I remember correctly.  And there were episodes of aliens that were god like, but not actually portrayed as real gods.

Great fun.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on March 25, 2014, 10:17:01 PM
I just want a Phaser. Don't even need the stun setting.
The stun setting could be great fun.  Imagine having one in the sixth grade.  You could stun your friends.  You could stun the teacher when she had her back turned.  The principal would probably take it away from you, but what fun until that point.

Jason78

The stun setting was probably developed with those kind of hi-jinx and japes in mind.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

I wish we had those replicators that could replicate anything your heart desires...