News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fred Phelps Is Dead

Started by The Skeletal Atheist, March 20, 2014, 01:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

I spent a few minutes trying to think of one redeeming feature about Fred Phelps.

All I could come up with is that he actually has one now.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

gregm766

Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch? The wicked witch.

Ding dong the witch is dead!

stromboli

I now have another grave to piss on in my future travels.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Jason78 on March 21, 2014, 09:16:01 AM
I spent a few minutes trying to think of one redeeming feature about Fred Phelps.

To be completely fair he fought several legal battles against discrimination of black people, so much so that he received an award from the NAACP.

That said, he was an A-grade asshole and the world is better off without him.

Mister Agenda

I don't take joy in the man's death, but I hope his family can find a more constructive theology now that he's gone.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

SGOS

Spreading God's message of hate.

Shiranu

I am sorry he never got a chance to live a more peaceful life. The guy was most likely just one in a long line of brainwashed people. Sad to see him go like he did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Good point, Skeletal. Fred Phelps was an asshole among assholes andI don't know if we would have made so much progress for equality if people didn't realize how bad bigotry can be in this country. Westboro Baptist was pretty high on the scale from 0 to full-on bigotry.

I forget who said this, but I agree in this case, "sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better".  In the last few years, I think equality has made huge strides.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on March 21, 2014, 07:27:34 AM
It would seem appropriate if some group would picket his funeral with signs of protest.  Somehow the signs should protest something other than bigots, just use his funeral as a venue to protest something absurd like genetic experiments on lamprey eels.  People could come up with their own silly protest issues.  Everyone could shout angrily at traffic like they really gave a shit.

I drove by his compound in Kansas a couple of years ago.  There were people carrying pickets and protesting the compound, but they said something like "God Loves People".
GOD HATES FLATHEAD SCREWS!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 22, 2014, 09:57:03 PM
GOD HATES FLATHEAD SCREWS!
Me too! Philips head all the way. Flathead screwsdrivers always fall out of the hole! It's so frustrating!!!!

St Giordano Bruno

Pity there is not a hell, I would like the have a specially hot corner warmed up for that prick.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on March 22, 2014, 11:06:02 PM
good
I suppose we could speculate that Phelps' vitriolic bad example of human compassion actually helped move society towards a kinder equality, but I doubt it.  I think society is just moving forward with or without the Phelps Family and Phelps simply was unable to accept the change.  I rather doubt he helped or hurt.  While his message no doubt resonated with a minority of the lowest level of misguided human trash, he offered nothing of value.  Yes, people being human as they are, hated him back, but all that's left now is just a dirty stain in the course of human progress, like a dirty oil rag that's left after you service your car.  It has no more purpose and the only thing left to do with it is to get rid of it.