News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bill Mahre on Noah

Started by stromboli, March 15, 2014, 03:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/15/bill-maher-god-psychotic-mas-murderer_n_4970831.html

You're probably going to be hearing a lot about Bill Maher's latest "New Rule" in the coming days. Mostly because in it, he not only takes aim at almost every religion (Bahá'í, you got lucky) but also because he calls God a "psychotic mass murderer."
The rant kicks off with Maher explaining that he's sick of seeing ads for Darren Aronofsky's "floating piece of giraffe crap" "Noah." While he allows that the film "must be doing something right," since it's already angering both Christians and Muslims, the fact that 60% of adult Americans believe that the story of Noah is literally true is proof enough for Maher that "this is a stupid country."
But more important than the implausibility of the tale, Maher says it's immoral. "It's about a psychotic mass murderer who gets away with it, and his name is God."
And the sure-to-offend-Christians zingers keep coming from there: "What kind of tyrant punishes everyone just to get back at the few he's mad at? I mean, besides Chris Christie.""Hey, God, you know you're kind of a dick when you're in a movie with Russell Crowe and you're the one with anger issues."
"You know conservatives are always going on about how Americans are losing their values and their morality, well maybe it's because you worship a guy who drowns babies.""If we were a dog and God owned us, the cops would come and take us away."

Lamenting that anyone would take their moral marching orders from the Bible, Maher wraps things up by hammering almost every religion as irrational, especially in light of conservative political ideology: "I'm reminded as we've just started Lent, that conservatives are always complaining about too much restraining regulation and how they love freedom, but they're the religious ones who voluntarily invent restrictions for themselves. On a hot summer day, Orthodox Jews wear black wool, on a cold winter night Mormons can't drink a hot chocolate... isn't life hard enough without making shit up out of thin air to fuck with yourself?"

And there's a LOT more. Watch the clip above and let us know what you think in the comments.  :icon_lol: 

Gawdzilla Sama

The Great Flood is global biocide. Great children's story you got there, Xtians.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Hey, they all wear a Roman torture device for jewelry, so what were you expecting?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on March 15, 2014, 03:14:00 PM
Hey, they all wear a Roman torture device for jewelry, so what were you expecting?
I've always wondered what they would wear had jesus just slipped in shit and broke his neck and died. Turd jewelry?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

I'm wondering if Noah went all the way to Australia to get a pair of kangaroos, or to the Artic to get polar bears, and did he get a queen each from the 20,000 known ant species... oh wait, forget it.

SGOS

That's about as scathing as I've ever seen Mahre.

Minimalist

I never miss Real Time....but that one was especially good.

Predictably...jesus freaks are making up reasons for Maher to be "mad at god"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/18/gods-not-dead-actor-kevin-sorbo-bill-maher-just-mad-at-god-because-he-is-lonely/

in spite of the fact that he told them precisely why it is so.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

stromboli

Yeah, Kevin Sorbo. There's a brain trust fer shure.

Solitary

Bill Maher gives Sorbo a compliment and then Sorbo lambasts him. So what if Maher is angry, religious deniers are destroying our world with superstitious nonsense. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.