News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stargate Atlantis

Started by SGOS, March 17, 2014, 10:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I'm watching this series for the second time a year after viewing it the first time.  I'm sure I've got an old post in an archive somewhere that says basically the same thing, but just for the record, I am smitten.  What a wonderful series, and that goes for Stargate SG1 also.  I can't believe I missed both of these when they were first broadcast.  It's like 15 years of being out of the Sci Fi loop.

stromboli

Yeah, I can bitch too.  :naughty:

I don't like Richard Dean Anderson. McGuyver was like everybody's OOH WOW show, but I'm old enough to know all the older movies and plots he ripped off. Same with Stargate. Took a "novel" movie idea (which was itself a ripoff of "The Gate of Ivrel" and other earlier works) and turned it into the same hackneyed TV fodder. Sorry, just never got into it.

(edit) for example, the McGuyver  bit about him avoiding the army ants by coating himself in latex Rubber Tree sap was a direct ripoff of a Charlton Heston movie.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on March 17, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
Yeah, I can bitch too.  :naughty:

I don't like Richard Dean Anderson. McGuyver was like everybody's OOH WOW show, but I'm old enough to know all the older movies and plots he ripped off. Same with Stargate. Took a "novel" movie idea (which was itself a ripoff of "The Gate of Ivrel" and other earlier works) and turned it into the same hackneyed TV fodder. Sorry, just never got into it.

(edit) for example, the McGuyver  bit about him avoiding the army ants by coating himself in latex Rubber Tree sap was a direct ripoff of a Charlton Heston movie.
OK, I never watched McGuyver, although I've seen parodies of it, but never knew who played McGuyver.  I did see the original Stargate movie (Kurt Russel I think), which I didn't get into at all and might be part of the reason I avoided the series, because in the back of my mind I think I recall seeing Stargate listed in TV guide, and just didn't think it was worth checking out.

Now granted, the idea of traveling to other galaxies through a ring that is reminiscent of a fountain at Caesar's Palace does test the limits of my ability to suspend reality.  But taken in the context of comic books, I think the stories are good.  Sure some of them seem familiar like I've seen the ideas before, but then good stories have been borrowed throughout literature and film.

And the Ga 'ould do use some crappy weapons for such an advanced society.  But thanks for the reality check.  It will keep me from insisting to my friends that their lives cannot be complete without watching the series.  Still, I love it, and I will recommend it, but I'll try not to let my excitement be so apparent.

Hijiri Byakuren

I think Stargate and all its derivatives are fucking stupid. Half of the problems they face on the show are due to their own stupidity, and the other half are solved due to the villains' stupidity. The cultures they depict and/or imitate are poorly researched at best, and downright offensive at worst. But the greatest sin of all: they never explain how they're able to communicate with all of these civilizations. Even the crappy movie addressed that issue!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

It is interesting that the technologies, specifically weaponry, that is shown in science fiction usually boils down to some version of good ol' western shoot em' up stuff. One thing I liked about Star Trek was the Phasers and Disruptors and other weapons that were new at the time, cool stuff. Likewise with Star Wars and Light Sabers. I think that is another reason i didn't get into Stargate on TV, because it was to me a lot of formulaic shoot em' up. But then that's true of just about every TV plot.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: stromboli on March 17, 2014, 01:48:08 PM
It is interesting that the technologies, specifically weaponry, that is shown in science fiction usually boils down to some version of good ol' western shoot em' up stuff. One thing I liked about Star Trek was the Phasers and Disruptors and other weapons that were new at the time, cool stuff. Likewise with Star Wars and Light Sabers. I think that is another reason i didn't get into Stargate on TV, because it was to me a lot of formulaic shoot em' up. But then that's true of just about every TV plot.
My recent interest in Asimov has probably spoiled me as well. Foundation boils down to a simple idea: they figured out how to mathematically model human behavior. That kind of discovery has mind-blowing repercussions, and Asimov is a good enough writer to exploit them.

I'll admit that Stargate has a good premise behind it, but the show creators are just blindingly bad at exploiting that premise to its full potential.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 17, 2014, 01:42:22 PM
I think Stargate and all its derivatives are fucking stupid. Half of the problems they face on the show are due to their own stupidity, and the other half are solved due to the villains' stupidity. The cultures they depict and/or imitate are poorly researched at best, and downright offensive at worst. But the greatest sin of all: they never explain how they're able to communicate with all of these civilizations. Even the crappy movie addressed that issue!

True. I'm glad that there are shows now on basic cable like "Justified" that don't fit into formulas like broadcast TV. the writers all work to the same formulas to fit like 40 minutes of time with all the same elements, pace and resolution. If you haven't watched Justified, you should. The story arc is over like 13 episodes, not one hour. They can stretch the characterizations out and explore themes and the writing is top notch.

Shol'va

I think SG1 is starting to show it's age somewhat, I am starting to see how cheesy some episodes and plot twists are. Nevertheless, it still holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first shows I've watched when I moved to the States back in late 90s. I had no experience then with MacGyver or any of the movies he supposedly ripped off. For me, Stargate SG1 was and still is a damn good show.

SGOS

Quote from: Shol'va on March 17, 2014, 02:49:35 PM
I think SG1 is starting to show it's age somewhat, I am starting to see how cheesy some episodes and plot twists are. Nevertheless, it still holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first shows I've watched when I moved to the States back in late 90s. I had no experience then with MacGyver or any of the movies he supposedly ripped off. For me, Stargate SG1 was and still is a damn good show.
Yes, it's becoming dated, and the production values are not high.  Every planet seems to resemble a Pacific Northwest coastal rainforest.  I've even heard elk bugling in some scenes.  And yes, it is cheesy.  All of this sounds negative, but for me it's just something I accept.  I am often delighted with cheesy parts of movies.  Romantic comedy is almost always cheesy.  Even while I'm watching stuff like that, even with a tear running down my cheek, I sometimes say to myself, "OMG this is cheesy," but it still delights me.

I can understand why others might not like it.  But it's rare when some TV series captures me as much as Stargate.

Shol'va

Yep, I likewise agree with all the negative things that have been said, and they simply don't matter to me to the point that they take away from my ability to enjoy the show. Besides, I find the lore incredibly interesting.

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 17, 2014, 01:42:22 PM
While all this is true, (especially the inexplicable 20th century English which apparently doesn't does not allow for contractions) bare in mind that this is a cable TV show.  Its main competition depicted aliens with rubber foreheads, used scale models for space battles, and simulated turbulance by shaking the camera around.  It's not flawless, but it's a step in the right direction.  Other gripes I would have definitely included:  yelling at the techie (Rodney) to hurry up doesn't help, the leader isn't really in charge (Shepherd is basically the de facto leader), the squad gets captured over and over again with various Deus Ex Machina escapes, and "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!".  Oh, and preggers Tayla.  Jesus.

That said, it's my favorite of all the 'Gates and way up there in my list of favorite sci-fi tv series.  I particularly liked the mythology of the show (ancient myths are true, sorta) and its villains:  the Wraith (aka Space Dark Elves), Replicators, Michael, and best of all, the Genii (Miles 'O Brien was friggin' awesome there).  All very distinct and possessing enough variation to make them the allies du jour on occassion, which makes for some interesting episodes.

Plus, I really like the premise of the entire series.  You step through a doorway and wind up on another planet.  The good news:  the show's limited only by your imagination.  The bad news:  the show's limited by your imagination.