News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Need Welcome Screen

Started by wolf39us, March 15, 2014, 09:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

I'm going to be redirecting or new registered users to a locked topic explaining the 10 post rule.  I'm not the greatest at writing these things so I was hoping some of you would volunteer creating a welcome topic.

Also, I'd also like to ask what everyone thinks of the 10 post rule in general... is 10 too much to start a topic outside of introductions?  Surely only 1 topic is necessary for an introduction and I think some people like to lurk a little more than others.

Right now those with fewer than 10 posts can still reply to any topic outside of introductions... but I still wonder if it is off-putting that you can't start topics before ten... what does everyone think?

Thanks for the help!

PS:  I was thinking as an alternative to allowing reply to all boards, that those with fewer than say "2" posts can't even see the other boards and are forced into the introduction section... but idk if that would work either.

AllPurposeAtheist

"Someone once got a bug up their ass and decided you're not smart enough to post new topics without first posting ten times elsewhere AS IF there's magic in ten posts and will make trolls think twice before becoming asswipes." Sound good?  ;D
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I think everyone should be allowed to see all threads before they post anything or even join.  How else would they know if they are even interested in the forum? 

wolf39us

Quote from: SGOSI think everyone should be allowed to see all threads before they post anything or even join.  How else would they know if they are even interested in the forum? 
This I agree with.  The idea kind of stemmed from the fact that there are so many people who just miss that whole bit that says "fewer than 10 posts blah blah".  If guests can read all topics (except members area) and then upon your initial login with 0 posts... you are forced into the introduction section.  Once there you can make an introduction and then immediately are able to see the rest of the board.

I don't know I thought it might be a steering in the right direction anyway.  We don't get too much traffic lately so I think personally it might be safe to just open the boards to new registers.

But that's why I wanted to put that to everyone.

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't recall being subjected to the 10 post rule. Maybe I was, but I don't recall it having any effect one way or another. It's just arbitrary nonsense that doesn't prevent anything except perhaps turning off potential members. Must be an archaic rule handed down by a pope or something. 

wolf39us

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheistI don't recall being subjected to the 10 post rule. Maybe I was, but I don't recall it having any effect one way or another. It's just arbitrary nonsense that doesn't prevent anything except perhaps turning off potential members. Must be an archaic rule handed down by a pope or something. 
And I've never personally come across a board that has this rule either...

AllPurposeAtheist

Proof it doesn't work are people like mofo and that 100% dipshit. :-\

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 15, 2014, 09:17:14 AM
I don't recall being subjected to the 10 post rule. Maybe I was, but I don't recall it having any effect one way or another. It's just arbitrary nonsense that doesn't prevent anything except perhaps turning off potential members. Must be an archaic rule handed down by a pope or something.
I don't recall that either, but as a new guy I'm wasn't about to start a new thread on my first post.  I wanted to get the feel of things by responding to other posts first.  In fact, I don't think I even introduced myself, not that I can remember, anyway.

stromboli

Don't think the 10 post thing is anything but cumbersome. apparently some people have been able to bypass it. I would think something like encouraging people to lurk a bit before posting, or something like that. We seem to have a situation where people-xtians- come on here without lurking, post once, get met with a hail of gunfire, and run. A lot of 1 post and depart types, imo.

wolf39us

The ones able to bypass was an error on my part due to permissions.

So we agree then to sack the 10 post thing?

Aupmanyav

"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

AllPurposeAtheist

I say make em lurk for at least a few years before posting an introduction. That's a sure fire way to attract more people.

I think scrapping it's a good idea. This board seems to be suffering an attrition problem.

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: wolf39us on March 15, 2014, 03:28:17 PM
The ones able to bypass was an error on my part due to permissions.

So we agree then to sack the 10 post thing?
Yes, yes. Very much agreed. Although, I would redirect new registrants to a short list of the bannable offenses and force them to acknowledge they've read them before allowing them to post at all.

What we really need is a new main image for the forums. Maybe including a warning that theists may be welcomed but their beliefs will not be coddled. So many of them get pissed when called on their bullshit, pointing out that "the sign says says this is a site for believers too."

Maybe something as simple as: "A freethinkers forum." No one's excluded and no one's implicitly included.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Sal1981

On a sorta related note: Is the 10 posts really necessary before being able to create threads outside Introductions? I only rarely see spam bots.

Glitch

As a new member (hello) I personally think 10 posts is too much. I lurk on here due to insomnia, and it's kind of hard to find active posts during my time of... activeness, which makes it really hard to get to that 10 post limit... it also gets very lonely.

I think I'm 1 or 2 posts away from hitting the 10 mark, not entirely sure though.

But I do think that you should have it default to the welcome page, have it so they can only post in the introductory page for their first post, and then grant the freedom to all other areas of the forum, but then again that's mostly because I'm bored and wanted to start a few topics myself over the past... few hours.

Another, what I consider.. I guess fun (?) way to ensure people have actually read the rules would be to have a short multiple question quiz with 3 Questions on it that are randomly generated from a pool from.. however many rules you may have on here (I forgot the number, I apologize) and make sure they answer them all correctly. It'll also keep Spamdroids out. I guess like a CAPTCHA...