News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Site slow downs / timeouts

Started by wolf39us, March 12, 2014, 10:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

So I've been in contact with my host and they are consistently saying that my timeouts are due to some process or plugin that is causing lag.

Unfortunately I've checked all of my tools and I simply can't pin point the cause of the problem.  The only thing that's changed in a long time is the TapaTalk plugin and I can't imagine that a plugin with THAT much popularity would be the real cause of the problems.

So the way I see it I need to go to basic troubleshooting and delete things...  Remove things manually, wait a couple days and repeat.  I could even fresh install this software again and tweak as I go, but that could take a very long time.

I know I'm sort of pushing the other board software but let me tell you guys, it is SO much easier to install things on it and I think it looks great.

PHPbb (the software we are currently running) is extremely manual and time consuming to get just right.  

So in the interest of the forum I'd like to upgrade to something better and faster AND easier to use...  Both on the administrative front and the user front.

If anyone is aware of any other software for suggestion I'd like to hear about it.

What do you all think?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

I liked the other one you showed us yesterday on chat. I'd be more than fine with that.

wolf39us

There's that or MyBB which also has some pretty awesome ratings.

AF.org is currently running MyBB as well.  I'm going to be checking out a few programs before I switch.   I will only switch to one that retains everyone's posts and what not so as to make it the most most seamless.

PickelledEggs

I got yo' back, captain

Sent from my I-605 JediX20 via Tapatalk

SGOS

Wolf, even if you enjoy doing all this stuff, I still appreciate all the work you put in on the site.
Thanks.

wolf39us

Quote from: "SGOS"Wolf, even if you enjoy doing all this stuff, I still appreciate all the work you put in on the site.
Thanks.

thanks, I appreciate that!

wolf39us

I'm installing MyBB on a separate database and importing all of our info into it.  Once I have that up and running I will link you all to it.  I think I'll check out one more beyond this.

I'll get 3 additional boards running, all with similar plugins and link to all 3.  Then we'll see what everyone thinks about them all and where we go from there.  I personally think it's kind of exciting to check out new software :-)

PickelledEggs

I second what SGOS said.

And sure thing, dude. Pick whichever forum software makes it easier on you and the other admins. Less stress for you, and a smoother running community for all of us!  :) I personally don't care what the forum looks like, as long as it works.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"I second what SGOS said.

And sure thing, dude. Pick whichever forum software makes it easier on you and the other admins. Less stress for you, and a smoother running community for all of us!  :) I personally don't care what the forum looks like, as long as it works.

Me either....

As long as you add boobs 8-)
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

wolf39us

Here's the link to myBB.  Keep in mind that I have not installed any plugins to this page and it is completely barebones!

test/mybb

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "wolf39us"Here's the link to myBB.  Keep in mind that I have not installed any plugins to this page and it is completely barebones!

http://atheistforums.com/test/mybb
Add boobs like Moralnihlist said and we should be fine

Moriarty

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "wolf39us"Here's the link to myBB.  Keep in mind that I have not installed any plugins to this page and it is completely barebones!

http://atheistforums.com/test/mybb
Add boobs like Moralnihlist said and we should be fine

I completely want to post a pic of man boobs for you two, I just can't do it though!

I like the one yesterday more though Wolf, but as you said this latest one didn't have the bells and whistles so I'd have to wait to see them before passing judgement.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

wolf39us

Admin/Mod permissions updated,  mods you can poke around in the MyBB

stromboli

I don't know if it is the site or Google, but I have been having a hard time getting on here and posting over the last few days since the DOS attack. I have been able to get on with IE but not Google. Seems now to have cleared up, so I hope the issue is resolved.

wolf39us

changed the theme on myBB... this one is a little better.

So far not too impressed with the plugins for MyBB.  Still poking around though!