Specific behaviors that make you write people off

Started by zarus tathra, March 10, 2014, 08:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

Using the world "fag." It's not that I like homosexuals. It's that "fag" is just a generic insult that is used on non-gays about 100 times as often as it's used on actual gay people. When you use it to insult a non-homosexual, you're basically showing that you can't come up with anything specific to insult. Which is a really bad indicator of a person's intelligence, because while positive opinions are very general and holistic (i.e. "I like that, it's pretty!") negative opinions tend to be very specific (i.e. "That dude looks like a rapist"). If even your negative opinions are incoherent and ill-defined, then you're probably functionally illiterate.

Note: I'm not looking for criminal behavior or complaints about religious people. 99% of people think criminal behavior is wrong, and everybody here hates Christians, so talking about these things won't introduce any new information.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Moralnihilist

Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

darsenfeld

It's because society is homophobic that people say fag, insults don't have to be specific but also based on connotation.

That said, anybody Muslim irks me.  I find most of them closed-minded, intolerant and frankly stupid.  They reckon that anything Western is fake, and they hate Western values despite saying they should end sexism and bring liberal democracy in their countries (hhhhmmm...social equality is from the Koran, got it..)  I have a few Muslims I like, but generally I steer clear of them, ignore them, and don't talk to them.

Other than that, I don't think being judgmental is good, and I like to respect all (i know the comment that's coming, if the human norm offends you so be it. though i reckon it's because you feel threatened somebody is not living per his 'God/spiritual-defined' place, but then I have free will including action and thought, i don't care about your morals/values....)
consistency is for dopes....

PickelledEggs

I don't necessarily hate christians. I'm actually really good friends with a fundie, but he really doesn't even talk about it unless the topic is brought up AND he is asked about it. I really like that about him. Plus we have some really good religion discussions that I learn a lot about what some fundies believe. But again, he only talks about it when he is directly asked about it, which I find really rare and nice. He doesn't even push religion on to other people.

I would have to say there isn't many things that make me write people off. Words don't really offend me. In general words aren't even offensive unless you direct them towards someone in an insulting way. Of course there are words that I, no matter what, will find offensive like "fag" and the "n" word. Those words are meant to be directed at a group of people and will always be offensive, IMO. No excuse to use those words ever.

I really don't think I ever "write someone off" officially. As long as someone isn't an asshole, I gravitate toward them pretty quickly and get along with them pretty easily. If they are an asshole, I give them a chance and get to know them first. If I don't enjoy their company, usually its just because of a lack of similar interest or something like that.

Mermaid

Quote from: "zarus tathra"It's not that I like homosexuals.
Um.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

authoritarianism, religious fundamentalism, 9gag bookmarks

zarus tathra

I indicated that I was looking for specific behaviors, like words or gestures. Not "being Muslim."
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

StupidWiz

Bigotry, unwilling to see reasons, self absorbed, extremely narcissistic.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

the_antithesis

zarus tathra

Quote from: "StupidWiz"Bigotry, unwilling to see reasons, self absorbed, extremely narcissistic.

See, here's what I'm complaining about. What specific behaviors qualify as exemplifying these qualities?

zarus tathra

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "zarus tathra"It's not that I like homosexuals.
Um.

Hahahaha.

Moriarty

Breathing.

I automatically write people off that support a fucking word out of Ted Nugent's pie hole.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Moriarty

Quote from: "aitm"arrogance...because imo....it is the worst.

Damn, I'm screwed then. I'm completely arrogant in regards to religious people. I'm right and they're fucking idiots.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.