What ideas are indications that you've "grown up?"

Started by zarus tathra, March 09, 2014, 11:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

I'll start:

Realizing that not everybody's opinion matters. As a good little boy, I believed in democracy and all the retarded things that the theory of democracy implies, such as this one.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Moriarty

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I'll start:

Realizing that not everybody's opinion matters. As a good little boy, I believed in democracy and all the retarded things that the theory of democracy implies, such as this one.

I will let you know when I get there.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

zarus tathra

Well that was a useless thing to say. I guess we can add "not caring for uselessly pithy remarks."
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Moriarty

Quote from: "zarus tathra"Well that was a useless thing to say. I guess we can add "not caring for uselessly pithy remarks."

Nah, was a bit of honesty really. I'm 45 years old and realized I missed a few steps along the way apparently~ Fear of commitment for one.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

zarus tathra

Oh, in that case, sorry for insulting you.

That said, "commitment issues" aren't necessarily a sign of "immaturity." There's always the issue of the person you're committing to, obviously.

Moriarty

Quote from: "zarus tathra"Oh, in that case, sorry for insulting you.

It's all good, I'm use to insults I have an ex.
<Insert witty remark>

Moriarty

However, to further add to your conversation, I always joked that a sure sign of being grown up was making sure there was toilet paper in the bathroom BEFORE sitting down.
<Insert witty remark>

zarus tathra

Cunning have I found all buyers, and yet every man buys his wife in a bag. -Nietzsche

Solitary

I'm 72 years old and never plan to grow up. Most people think what being grown up is, is just being old for your age. I'm no fuddy duddy, and still enjoy life like a small boy. What the hell does that mean to be grown up other than being able to take care of yourself and being responsible for your life and actions.  A lot of people think they are grown up when they conform to the dictates of society. I believe Einstein and Bertrand Russell had it right, be like a child with wonder, but not childish in your actions. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

zarus tathra

Being grown-up is realizing that most of what you see in "society" is little more than useless, costly ceremony.

Moralnihilist

I would say that I grew up when I cared more about other things besides myself.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Atheon

Realizing that the world doesn't revolve around you.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

You are grown up when you realize that you don't have to actually take life too seriously.

Plu

I have no idea what being "grown up" even means. It seems to mean different things to everybody, and as such is in the category of "useless descriptors".