News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

PhpBB3 vs Simple Machines

Started by wolf39us, March 09, 2014, 07:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Any of you tried other forum software?

What do you all think about Simple Machines?

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't think there's a huge difference in performance.  I've run both, but not with all the bells and whistles.  You could set up a mirror on the server although I'm not sure the database is interchangeable to see what others think of them.  If the dos attacks don't stop a different provider might not be such a bad idea. It seems to me bb3 has more support,  but it's been a few years ago so sm might be on par.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

wolf39us

http://atheistforums.com/test/smf

You're all welcome to try it out... just log in, I did the conversion in about 60 seconds!

PS Don't worry, this is a 100% test database completely separate to this one.

Also, this is a barebones install with NO plugins added (there are a shit ton).

AllPurposeAtheist

No "view active topics" link and barebones emoticons,  but other than that not much difference to me.  Someone else might cry..  :cry:  No names of course.  :-$

AllPurposeAtheist

It no longer recognizes my username.  That's odd.

wolf39us

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, works. I took a nap first. Must be an older db backup.  This thread is ominously missing.  :shock:

wolf39us

Plu

It's a bit crowded in terms of buttons, possibly because I'm a moderator. And I would really miss the "view recent posts" option since that's the only way in which I navigate the forums :(

I've used VBulletin a lot and that was usually good stuff. But what exactly is the issue with phpBB, that you're looking for something else? If we know what's wrong we might be able to search for something more specific.

wolf39us

nothing in particular.  Just trying out new things!

Sal1981

Quote from: "wolf39us"http://atheistforums.com/test/smf

You're all welcome to try it out... just log in, I did the conversion in about 60 seconds!

PS Don't worry, this is a 100% test database completely separate to this one.

Also, this is a barebones install with NO plugins added (there are a shit ton).
Works as intended.