News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The best Roman Emperor

Started by darsenfeld, March 05, 2014, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darsenfeld

Gladiator even though released long ago now is one of all time favourite films.  I saw it again for the umpteenth time yesterday lol, but I was thinking who was the greatest Caesar?  

I'm not a historian but then Caesars such as Trajan, Augustus, Marcus Aurelius and Constantine are highly favoured.  To me at least Marcus Aurelius was the smartest based on his philosophies, and Trajan was perhaps the best overall.  

Is there a consensus amongst historians concerning this?
consistency is for dopes....

Moriarty

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Gladiator even though released long ago now is one of all time favourite films.  I saw it again for the umpteenth time yesterday lol, but I was thinking who was the greatest Caesar?  

I'm not a historian but then Caesars such as Trajan, Augustus, Marcus Aurelius and Constantine are highly favoured.  To me at least Marcus Aurelius was the smartest based on his philosophies, and Trajan was perhaps the best overall.  

Caligula of course.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

stromboli

Quote from: "Moriarty"
Quote from: "darsenfeld"Gladiator even though released long ago now is one of all time favourite films.  I saw it again for the umpteenth time yesterday lol, but I was thinking who was the greatest Caesar?  

Caligula of course.

^this. dude took shit from NOBODY.

PopeyesPappy

Probably Vespasian but Trajan and Antoninus Pius are both good candidates. The empire experienced its longest period of peace under Antoninus Pius.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Kraft

\'Why [...] is the philosophy of religion so boring?\' - Kai Nielsen
"I don\'t condone reading, I believe it poisons the mind" - Adam Carolla

josephpalazzo

No contest, Jesus... oh wait  #-o

stromboli

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Probably Vespasian but Trajan and Antoninus Pius are both good candidates. The empire experienced its longest period of peace under Antoninus Pius.

Oh, you mean like peace and shit. BOring.