Mormon PR At Work- This Is Exactly What I Mean

Started by stromboli, March 05, 2014, 10:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Beautifully timed with the thread about the Mormon cartoon, this is a great illustration of the Mormon PR at work.

http://www.mormoncurtain.com/index.html#pub_-2049283710

QuoteWith the latest essay released by President Newsroom on the lds.org website - Mormons becoming Gods after death has now been thrown under the bus. Instead of becoming a God, Mormons now only have the "potential to become like their Heavenly Father".

Essay: https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-l...

So any current Mormon who believes they will become a God in the afterlife is now wrong. Sad, when I joined Mormonism in 1986 this was doctrine that was taught to me. It was in the handbooks, it was in Mormon Doctrine, it was Priesthood, Sacrament, HTs and VTs - it was well known doctrine. Sadly this doctrine now falls under the "I don't know that we teach that" statement.

Lorenzo Snow was the 5th Mormon Prophet and in June of 1840 he claimed "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become." President Snow's declaration has now been ruled either "speaking as a man" or "wrongly interpreted doctrine". Shame, really.

Let's drag out some previous prophets the Mormon Church has now thrown under the bus with this new doctrine:

Doctrine and Covenants Section 132: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-tes... "1-6, Exaltation is gained through the new and everlasting covenant; 7-14, The terms and conditions of that covenant are set forth; 15-20, Celestial marriage and a continuation of the family unit enable men to become gods; 21-25," - You all know that the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage is plurality of wives and is the sealing covenant in every temple for marriage.

All those who are counted worthy to be exalted and to become Gods, even the sons of God, will go forth and have earths and worlds like those who framed this and millions on millions of others." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 17:143)

"Desirable as is secular knowledge, one is not truly educated unless he has the spiritual with the secular. The secular knowledge is to be desired; the spiritual knowledge is an absolute necessity. We shall need all of the accumulated secular knowledge in order to create worlds and to furnish them, but only through the 'mysteries of God' and these hidden treasures of knowledge may we arrive at the place and condition where we may use that knowledge in creation and exaltation" (Spencer W. Kimball, Conference Reports, October 1968, p.131)

"Each one of you has it within the realm of his possibility to develop a kingdom over which you will preside as its king and god. You will need to develop yourself and grow in ability and power and worthiness, to govern such a world with all of its people." (Spencer W. Kimball, ". . . the Matter of Marriage" [address delivered at University of Utah Institute of Religion, 22 Oct. 1976], 2)

"We educate ourselves in the secular field and in the spiritual field so that we may one day create worlds, people and govern them." (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 386)

"The real life we're preparing for is eternal life. Secular knowledge has for us eternal significance. Our conviction is that God, our Heavenly Father, wants us to live the life that He does. We learn both the spiritual things and the secular things 'so we may one day create worlds [and] people and govern them' (Spencer W. Kimball, The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 386)

What the church now says:
https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng

QuoteEarly revelations to Joseph Smith taught that humans are created in the image of God and that God cares intimately for His children. In the Book of Mormon, a prophet "saw the finger of the Lord" and was astonished to learn that human physical forms were truly made in the image of God.24 In another early revelation, Enoch (who "walked with God" in the Bible25) witnessed God weeping over His creations. When Enoch asked, "How is it thou canst weep?" he learned that God's compassion toward human suffering is integral to His love.26 Joseph Smith also learned that God desires that His children receive the same kind of exalted existence of which He partakes. As God declared, "This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."27

In 1832, Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon experienced a vision of the afterlife. In the vision, they learned that the just and unjust alike would receive immortality through a universal resurrection, but only those "who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise" would receive the fulness of God's glory and be "gods, even the sons of God."28 Another revelation soon confirmed that "the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him."29 Latter-day Saints use the term exaltation to describe the glorious reward of receiving one's full inheritance as a child of Heavenly Father, which is available through the Atonement of Christ, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.30

They just basically threw a whole carload of previous prophets and scripture under the bus. They have offices full of BYU graduates that do nothing but think up ways to warp the old BS into an updated modern version of BS. You are no longer becoming a god, which is polytheism, but becoming "godlike". Just a little fancy footwork on the scriptures and cha-ching! Sea change!  :-D

SGOS

At this rate, Mormonism might eventually become just a doctrine of ordinary Christian bullshit.

So do they edit the book of Mormon itself, or do they just alter the interpretation?  Or is this stuff just added on to the basic teachings and separate from the printed document?

stromboli

Both. The Tanners of Utah Lighthouse Ministry identified nearly 4,000 "editorial" changes in the B of M. And they have changed their stance on polygamy, blacks holding the priesthood and now this. It was shit like this that was part of me questioning the church back in the day.

SGOS

It's good to see them struggling to be a little less nuts from time to time, but it doesn't help build much confidence in the accuracy of divine revelation or the attention skills of the prophets.  And without that confidence, the religion starts to seem a little fishy.

Deidre32

You know, I can't even read the nonsense, anymore. Even if it's to ''educate'' myself on what other groups are doing, it's hard to stomach, because I'm reading lies. Packaged and being 'sold' differently.  #-o
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

aileron

But if I become a Mormon, after I die do I still get to have sex with dozens of wives to populate worlds with spirit children? That would be cool.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

SGOS

Quote from: "Deidre32"You know, I can't even read the nonsense, anymore. Even if it's to ''educate'' myself on what other groups are doing, it's hard to stomach, because I'm reading lies. Packaged and being 'sold' differently.  #-o
I'm actually a little more compassionate after realizing my atheism and talking about these things for so long in forums like this.  When I first let go of Christianity, I had gotten involved with some fundamentalists that believed such weird things that I wanted to tear my hair out and scream at them.  But now I understand and accept that these people really believe the nonsense and few will ever get out of it.  The nonsense actually sounds more ridiculous with every passing year, but oddly, I have less desire to shout at these people, unless they get right in my face and push hard enough to cross a line.  Some are actually friends, and as long as their beliefs and my atheism remain a topic out of bounds, I think we will be OK.

Oddly, I had a cousin who was a Mormon (he died of cancer) and he was fine with my atheism.  Never tried to push anything on me, and I never felt that he was passing judgment.  Well, once he did ask if he do some kind of hocus pocus with the church elders on my behalf.  I can't remember what the Hell it was, and I just said, "Yeah sure that's fine."  It wasn't like I had to participate or even be there for whatever it was they did.  I hope I don't regret it after I die, because I can't remember what he said it was for.  I got the impression he thought it would be a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking I could get my own planet to rule over.

aileron

Quote from: "SGOS"Oddly, I had a cousin who was a Mormon (he died of cancer) and he was fine with my atheism.  Never tried to push anything on me, and I never felt that he was passing judgment.

This may be because Mormons have different beliefs about salvation and damnation than mainstream Christian denominations.  As I understand it, Mormons believe that only exceptionally evil people will ever face eternal damnation.  

One of the motivations people have to push Christianity on others is the idea that they may help save them from hell.  If you think about it, if you truly believe in the traditional concept of hell you'd be a hideous person not to try to save people from it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

stromboli

As an ex-Mormon and a priesthood holder who participated in temple rites, I am now a "son of perdition" or a hell bound hound. I'm thinking I might get a T-shirt with that on it. Could stop some Mormon missionaries right in their tracks.

Deidre32

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Deidre32"You know, I can't even read the nonsense, anymore. Even if it's to ''educate'' myself on what other groups are doing, it's hard to stomach, because I'm reading lies. Packaged and being 'sold' differently.  #-o
I'm actually a little more compassionate after realizing my atheism and talking about these things for so long in forums like this.  When I first let go of Christianity, I had gotten involved with some fundamentalists that believed such weird things that I wanted to tear my hair out and scream at them.  But now I understand and accept that these people really believe the nonsense and few will ever get out of it.  The nonsense actually sounds more ridiculous with every passing year, but oddly, I have less desire to shout at these people, unless they get right in my face and push hard enough to cross a line.  Some are actually friends, and as long as their beliefs and my atheism remain a topic out of bounds, I think we will be OK.

Oddly, I had a cousin who was a Mormon (he died of cancer) and he was fine with my atheism.  Never tried to push anything on me, and I never felt that he was passing judgment.  Well, once he did ask if he do some kind of hocus pocus with the church elders on my behalf.  I can't remember what the Hell it was, and I just said, "Yeah sure that's fine."  It wasn't like I had to participate or even be there for whatever it was they did.  I hope I don't regret it after I die, because I can't remember what he said it was for.  I got the impression he thought it would be a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking I could get my own planet to rule over.

This is an interesting comment. Hmmm, not that I lack compassion. I understand the deceptive nature of religion. I once followed religion so I understand how people are misled. It is more that when you awaken to truth, not the spun deceptive version of it by religion, you find it hard to read religious-speak anymore, with genuine interest. We make a lot of excuses and concessions for religion, don't you think? :/

Now, about this planet you're going to rule over....ah, that could be fun. Lol
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Deidre32"Now, about this planet you're going to rule over....ah, that could be fun. Lol
The first step is to set up HQ in Greenland.

SGOS

Quote from: "aileron"But if I become a Mormon, after I die do I still get to have sex with dozens of wives to populate worlds with spirit children? That would be cool.
I would guess you won't get full Mormon benefits, but you do get to live forever, probably serving Mormon elders sandwiches and soft drinks when they aren't having sex.

Hijiri Byakuren

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Who Make This Shit Up as They Go Along.

TCoJCoLDSWMTSUaTGA for short.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Who Make This Shit Up as They Go Along.

TCoJCoLDSWMTSUaTGA for short.

CLOSER THAN YOU REALIZE

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... mormonism/

The 14 Fundamentals in Following the Prophet of Mormonism

Saints (as stated by Elder Ezra Taft Benson in 1980):
The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.
The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.
The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.
The prophet will never lead the Church astray.

The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.
The prophet does not have to say "Thus saith the Lord" to give us scripture.
The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.
The prophet is not limited by men's reasoning.
The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.
The prophet may be involved in civic matters.
The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.
The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.
The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidency — the highest quorum in the Church.
The prophet and the presidency — the living prophet and the First Presidency — follow them and be blessed; reject them and suffer.

The utterances of the current prophet/leaders of the church trump everything previous. Nothing, not canonized scripture or previous doctrine, nothing but what the current prophet is teaching. And 14 million sheep dumbly nod their heads and say "amen".

SGOS

Quote from: "stromboli"The 14 Fundamentals in Following the Prophet of Mormonism

Holy Crap.  That makes Alcoholics Anonymous look pathetic.  They only have 12 things.  Well maybe it's really 24 when you count the 12 steps and the 12 traditions.  I just think Alcoholics Anonymous could help more people if it had 14 of each, rather than 12.