As an atheist does the recent medical paradigm threaten you?

Started by darsenfeld, March 04, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shol'va

Just to point out the "companion thread" to this one in case it was missed
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3954

darsenfeld

er... I simply notice that believing in a higher power is now "key" to being healthy in many reputable medical sources.

So whilst is it not the true orthodoxy, like how fatty foods leads to heart disease or hypertension, then it's certainly an emerging trend.  I guess to me, science is supposed to not push ideology or morals, but then yeah ("conspiracy theories" aside lol..) perhaps I'm too idealist...  

I just don't want a doctor, even for a mild complaint, to tell me that I must "pray and believe in a Great Spirit" when it's not his or her place to say what I should or should not believe.  No more than a mechanic, the sales rep at the Samsung store, or my massage therapist.
consistency is for dopes....

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "darsenfeld"er... I simply notice that believing in a higher power is now "key" to being healthy in many reputable medical sources.
Back. Up. Your. Bullshit.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

Psychology and psychiatry---two magical professions---instead of neurology and pharmacology science says it all to me. My doctor tried to send me to group therapy and psychiatrist, when it is known by neurologist that PTSD is a change in the physical and biochemistry of the brain. I take a little pill that hasn't cured it, but has made it bearable. These ideas of mind and soul are both superstitious nonsense in my opinion. The mind is an emergence of the brain body functioning and not some supernatural entity. If you think not, drop some LSD and see if your mind or soul is separate from your body. If they were it couldn't have any affect. Hell, just drink three beers real fast and see. It won't be as dramatic, but it will prove the point I'm making.  #-o  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Mermaid"So you think the medical profession is conspiring to turn people religious? Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes, I do.  Medicine rests on an evil premise, but it's not my issue.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "darsenfeld"As said to me it seems self-evident.  Most medical literature these days cite spirituality and "believing in God" as key in being healthy and "normal".
I've completed two sociology courses and a psychology course, am nearly finished with two more psychology courses, and have taken a couple classes that, while not focused on medicine, did touch on what is considered to be normal; and I have never had sight or sound of anything remotely hinting at a belief in God being a key to health.

Back up your bullshit or GTFO. Vague statements concerning "most medical literature" don't cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.

er.. yeah, what level was this perchance?  It's common fact from the practice.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "stromboli"Meditation is not religion. Spirituality is a self described state of mind experienced by individuals. I find nature to be spiritually uplifting. Nature, not god. I meditate on that. I am still an atheist.

er.. so spiritualism and atheism are compatible?  as is "gratitude"?

What evidence do you want exactly?  I've posted from ESTABLISHED MEDICAL BODIES, and you still dismiss it.

I think you can't accept reality.

Plu

If it's so common and obvious, it shouldn't be hard to cite us a few examples so we know what you're talking about, right?

darsenfeld

Plu

Quote from: "darsenfeld"
Quote from: "aileron"
Quote from: "darsenfeld"Most doctors these days talk about meditation and spirituality as treatments for many conditions.

WTF?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use ... meditation

I read through this article, but it doesn't mention anything about spirituality and it seems to be pretty scientific in explaining exactly how meditation is good for you.

Plu

Quote from: "darsenfeld"I already have.  Again, what proof do you want?

More than a single article and a bunch of one-liner posts would be a start. Like maybe explaining what is spiritual about meditation, what you think meditation, some articles that actually talk about spirituality as good for you, and some explanations about how these things are bad for you?

This has gone on for 3 pages already and you've said less than most people trying to make a post do in their opening post...

Try using some more words when explaining things, people will be able to follow you more easily.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Plu"http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use ... meditation

I read through this article, but it doesn't mention anything about spirituality and it seems to be pretty scientific in explaining exactly how meditation is good for you.[/quote]

er.. yes, it implies because something is long-lived, it's inherently good.  and that site clandestinely seeks to push religion as "the optimal good" via medical practice, i don't read it for that reason.

Plu

You seem to be getting something completely different from this article as I do. But if you refuse to make posts longer than one line there's little more I can do than say "sucks to be you" and  leave the discussion.

darsenfeld

lol..  Look, I'm entitled to my view.  If the medical profession seeks to co-opt society to push this "spiritualism", so be it.

As said, I comprehend human nature, perhaps you need to also.