As an atheist does the recent medical paradigm threaten you?

Started by darsenfeld, March 04, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Tree

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Well prove me wrong lol., if you can.
NO. You provide support for your assertions  [-X
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Shiranu

A. What Poison Tree said.

B. I can only go off of personal experience, which I suppose you are doing as well, so it is really hard to prove it based on that. I could probably find the evidence to back my position up (or hey, maybe completely prove me wrong) but ultimately this is such a non-issue to me that it's not something I feel the need to go and debate and farm for evidence.

If doctors are not practicing real medicine, death rates will go up. Afaik, that isn't the case... so the doctor's must be doing their job correctly.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Most doctors these days talk about meditation and spirituality as treatments for many conditions.

Isn't this some plot to instill religion/faith into society?  What about atheists?  Is it now "immoral" to be an atheist based on the morals/values of medical professionals?

Meditation has a measurable effect on the mind and body.   It's actually a pretty effective therapy for some conditions.

But spirituality as a treatment?  I've never heard of an actual doctor prescribing anything like that.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Manodo

Right, but if you wanted to avoid religious terminology you could just say "mental wellbeing". Spirituality is a word with far more interpretations, many of which have religious context, so the use of spirituality in a medical context is needlessly sloppy.

Mermaid

So you think the medical profession is conspiring to turn people religious? Am I understanding that correctly?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Sal1981

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Most doctors these days talk about meditation and spirituality as treatments for many conditions.
Nope, they do not. At least, they do not around these parts - that would be very unprofessional if they did, in my view.

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Isn't this some plot to instill religion/faith into society?  What about atheists?  Is it now "immoral" to be an atheist based on the morals/values of medical professionals?
What gives you that idea?

darsenfeld

As said to me it seems self-evident.  Most medical literature these days cite spirituality and "believing in God" as key in being healthy and "normal".  It seems they cannot accept modern society, or the way the world is now.  15 years ago, to cure given cancers the treatment was (bar chemotherapy of course) "rest, be happy and enjoy your life how you want it" now it's "pray, meditate and keep God in your heart".  lol..  There must be a reason for this change.

That said, I know humans will and can do anything to corrupt things, so it's no surprise.
consistency is for dopes....

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "darsenfeld"As said to me it seems self-evident.  Most medical literature these days cite spirituality and "believing in God" as key in being healthy and "normal".
I've completed two sociology courses and a psychology course, am nearly finished with two more psychology courses, and have taken a couple classes that, while not focused on medicine, did touch on what is considered to be normal; and I have never had sight or sound of anything remotely hinting at a belief in God being a key to health.

Back up your bullshit or GTFO. Vague statements concerning "most medical literature" don't cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

First of all, "most doctors" is not supported by any documentation. Secondly, any doctor, even a majority, does not constitute a medical paradigm. The implied recommendation of spirituality is not recommending a religion. Religions are specific sets of beliefs. Spirituality implies a general sense of well being. And meditation is done by many people who are not religious.

Shol'va

Sorry darsenfeld, with respect, you're sounding like a conspiracy theorist. Now that we are over the initial address of your points, we are now at the point where you will have to provide conclusive documentation that inescapably supports your perception.

PickelledEggs

I only know of one doctor that does "spiritual" work or "energy" work. And that's only because my mom found him and goes to him. I really don't know the details of what it is he is doing though, so I can't really say for sure that he actually is "doing energy work". My mom is a spiritual yahoo, so she sort of jumps to conclusions with that sort of stuff. I think he is just a chiropractor... and from the times I went to him, a pretty good one.

All other doctors I know of, have seen, heard about, don't touch that Hocus Pocus Voodoo B.S.

Youssuf Ramadan

Isn't this some plot to instill religion/faith into society?  What about atheists?  Is it now "immoral" to be an atheist based on the morals/values of medical professionals?

Yoga, many forms of exercise, as well as singing and rhythmic chanting have much the same effect, I gather.  Jeebus is not required....

SGOS

Quote from: "darsenfeld"As an atheist does the recent medical paradigm threaten you?
There is no reason to be threatened from these reports or the bullshit that springs from them.  As an atheist, the only interest I have is in the proof of a god's existence.  And it's not even a vested interest.  I have nothing to lose or gain either way.  Show me convincing proof and I'll believe.  It's that simple.

Moriarty

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatme ... ebo-effect

All spirituality is to me in regards to medicine is the placebo effect. Trick yourself into thinking somethings working and it might.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Gawdzilla Sama

Why do ignorant people think everyone else is equally susceptible to bullshit?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers